scored a pair of MINT walnut oil cornwalls

joessportster

found a somewhat local add for cornwalls. price seemed a little high at 800.00 but i figured it wouldnt hurt to go look at them, go to work sat night do an 8 hr stint, head home deliver oris horns to there new ouner on my way , get 2 hours sleep, head back to work for a 16 hour stint, leave work drive to sellers house about 1 hour away (nodding the whole time, and fighting washington dc traffic and roads) arrive at sellers home we go inside and literally have to turn sideways to get past the cornwalls, BUT MAN AM I HAPPY WHEN I SEE THE CONDITION AND THE VENEER PATTERN, story goes these were his grandfathers and good old gramps was VERY meticulas about his gear (THANK YOU GRANDPA) seller offers to hook them up, i say judging by the condition im sure they are fine...........we go ahead and hook em up anyway and all drivers sound fine..............so i ended up with a pair of mint walnut oil cornwalls with sequintial serial numbers 15S680 and 681

thanks to the speaker gods and grandpa

Joe

Very nice Joe. Glad something came up for you. 1978 vintage probably built by Andy. Always nice to be pleasantly surprised and to find anything mint these days is rare, especially something 30 years old. They look great!

I got my '83 walnut Cornwalls set up this weekend at the new house in DE. I was very excited since I had 3 days to play with the new system. Turned on the 299 and next thing I know, one of the EL84s clouds up from a crack that must have occured during transport. Bummer. I had replacements for almost all the tubes EXCEPT that one :( $66 later, I have a new quad coming from Doug's Tubes this week. Wasn't until Sunday that I drove by what looked to be a vintage TV repair shop less than a mile from the house. I asked around and it turns out I probably could have found a replacement tube Saturday if I had known. I'm looking forward to meeting the store owner who's been there for about 50 years. You never know what you might find in a little Mayberry-like town.

I'm sure the nodding and near-accidents will be worth it... it always is! Some of my favorite electronics store and craigslist steals were always done when I swore my body was running on empty... but after a full night's sleep, I'm always pleased. There's something about that experience of going through a crappy day, fighting with sleep, and driving all over the place that makes you enjoy things even more. :)

thanks guys, they are wonderful i listened to them for about 3 hours yesterday, although i am not thrilled with my current amp / pre-amp those will be making a change real soon.

fini. i wish this was a cherry floor, i installed the floors last year tavern oak i beleive was the design name

Joe