New webpage for my speaker restorations

greg928gts

I kinda been using some Speaker Lab and a little others I have found here and there. Then I do a lot other stuff to reinforce them. I ues 3/4" and 1/2" plywood and stanless steel tee nuts and bolts and brass screws.

I have been selling a package deal for $25.00. It has four diffrent kinds of plans. But for you just check your email.

I get the 15" driver from Bob and the mids I find 511's on Ebay and the driver from Bob and the high I use the JBL 2404 and crossover ES-5800 and ES-400T that I build my self.

L Henri Palmeri

Astounding...though I've seen most of thses photos before this was the first time I looked at the JBL restorations. Not only is the work beautiful as everybody mentioned, but so creative (as evidenced by the Heresy reconfig).

A minor edit: It's "Heresys" as in two of them, not "Heresy's" as in 'Heresy is'..

Greg,

I love the work on the JBLs. My 4311s (I'm the original owner, got them in early '70s) have at least one of the tweeter dust caps pushed in a little. I think my daughter did it one time while laying on the floor in front of the speakers. The original grill cloth doesn't really afford too much protection. I have never noticed any difference in the sound quality. Since these were primarily made to mount up higher or in a soffet, the mid and tweeter are on the bottom. This tends to make the higher get sucked out if you have them placed on the floor. While I had mine on the floor, I turned them upside down to get the tweeter higher. With the logo now upside down, they didn't look as nice, so I redid the graphic on the aluminum plates, but did so redoing the layout. I was going to have new ones silkscreened. Alas, like many of my own projects, I haven't finished the job. I also still want to refurbish the crossovers.

Bruce

Bruce - I didn't know which way to put the ones I restored, I had seen them set up both ways. I could have sworn that they came to me with the tweets on top (emblem on bottom and right side up). Maybe that was the L100's, I don't remember. Both sets were sold to a guy out in California. The quality of the components was very good, and the cabinets were well built, but I really didn't like the sound of them that much. Not my cup of tea.

Greg

So it's not Heresies?

We went through this a long time ago, and most agreed it would be Heresies for the plural of Heresy. They still show up written both ways.

I still like my JBLs, but being totally DRs, the sound is a bit different than horns. I don't have mine connected to anything at the moment. Perhaps if I get the crossovers recapped, I'll compare again. I used to have the settings for where to put the L-pads so they were more flat, but I've misplaced it.

Bruce