Yamaha CR-2020

thefluffy

I have found a Yamaha CR-2020 Receiver for $250. Its about a 4 hour drive to check it out. I was wondering what you guys thought about the receiver and the price. The seller claims that it has been completely gone through and claims everything works as though it was new. Thanks in advance.

That Yammy is a great piece of equipment IMHO! Not sure about the price though, I think it's a bit on the high side but if it is in perfect condition I might go for it. I'd go look at it and try to negotiate the price down a bit.

Good luck!

• Like 1

as an owner of near that era of Yamaha's Natural Sound (mine is an IntegratedAmp from 1979...yours should be near top of the line if not the top line receiver from just after 1979)...

I bought mine in 1979...it made it through a lot in the college years...kept mine until I traded it off to my little brother in 1989, he kept it and traded it off to my little sister and I just got it back Saturday...a complete cleaning with compressed air followed by DeOxit for all the controls and it is playing right now...WONDERFUL stuff made by Yamaha in those days...

If the one you are looking at is in the condition you describe I predict you will be VERY happy with it...

You could check with Merrylander on AudioKarma website...he is their resident expert on all things Yamaha...good luck!

By the way, I tried mine with Cornwalls (WOW!) (thanks ChicagoPete, Speakerfritz) and mine is now playing through lowly KSB 1.1s right now...wonderful! (thanks flatgrass)

Bill

I will be using the receiver with a pair of '72 Vertical Cornwalls. I may splurge and get the receiver then. I have heard the CR-1020 on a set of '75 Cornwalls. That was an awesome match. My understanding is that the CR-2020 is even better than the 1020. My main concern was that the price of them. Thanks for the input guys. I always value the opinions I read on here.

Daniel

I will be using the receiver with a pair of '72 Vertical Cornwalls. I may splurge and get the receiver then. I have heard the CR-1020 on a set of '75 Cornwalls. That was an awesome match. My understanding is that the CR-2020 is even better than the 1020. My main concern was that the price of them. Thanks for the input guys. I always value the opinions I read on here.

Daniel

I had a 1020 and it was a great piece fo vintage gear. Really nice bass. If the one that you are looking at is mint it is worth the price.

I have another quick question. I may be able to get a CR-1020 that needs the Volume knob cleaned up (it has alot of static in it). This CR-1020 would be free or close to it. How much of a difference is there between the 2020 and the 1020? Would it be worth spending the $250 in this case?

another beautiful receiver...if it is free or near to it AND it hasn't been abused...take the hood off of it...blow all the dust n dirt out of it with a can of compressed air...get yourself some DeOxit and DeOxit Gold (Radio Shack, Fry's, etc.)...under $30.00 for two small cans (I don't recommend electronic contact cleaner of other brands as I have had no luck with it)...Clean and lube all the knobs and switches...this will get 30 years of grime, dried oil/grease etcetera...enjoy great sounds...I only have the lowly CA-610 II (similar but an integrated amp of 45wpc) and I did this very thing not 3 days ago...sounds wonderful...good luck and PLEASE report back...

Bill

I would listen to Sliversport on the cleaning of the CR-1020. I have that model and had it connected to my '71 Vert Corns and it sounded great. If it is free I would grab that and enjoy for many years to come. I have since moved the CR-1020 to a pair of '81 Heresy and nothing but spectacular.

Either that or pick them both up and decide for yourself which one you like best and sale the other one, You would still come out ahead.

James

Well, I suppose I will get to negotiating on the cr-1020 then. It is actually my fathers old amp that he originally bought with his '75 Cornwalls. Unfortunately, the static on the nob actually popped his tweeters at one point in time. I will hopefully be able to get it from him towards the end of September. It is in physically great condition. I'll be sure to upload some pics if it works out in my favor.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/CR2020/CR2020.html

Here's some info from "thevintageknob." Great receiver for its day and even today! There was one FS on Sacramento's Craigslist but I couldn't find it today. He wanted $375 but said it was mint. What I have found with the older receivers is to use them very frequently. When they sit idle, that's when bad things happen. I routinely work all the swiches and knobs just to keep them from building up crud. About once a year, I hose everything down with an electronics cleaner/lubricant whether it needs it or not. I also cover the top with a towel or old t-shirt when not in use. Simple and easy routine maitenance can pay big dividends down the line.

Mark

• 7 months later...

Finally, several months later.... I have recieved my dad's CR-1020. I gave it a thorough cleaning. So far I am very pleased! Basically no static on the volume nob or other controls.

I do have an interesting issue though. When I push the amp to around 30 watt spikes, I get a popping sound on the peaks. I experienced this one time and have kept the volume much lower since. But, I am unsure of what to think. On these spikes, the woofers on my cornwalls do have quite a bit of excursion, but I don't think they are bottoming out. My old amp would push the volume louder, to my ears. I have no means of measuring the SPL.

As far as I can figure, either the VU/Watt meters are either a good bit off and 30 watt spikes are much more or they amp is clipping prematurely.

Any suggestions on where to begin testing?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Something to keep in mind - a lot of folks are liking these old amps and receivers because they intend to use them for playing records, and these old ones have the phono eq... very often excellent phono eq when that was the mode. A lot of the sellers, both individuals and shops, will claim that the unit was serviced, tuned, aligned, etc, and tested, and it sounds great... A lot of those folks don't have a turntable and the testing was done with a little CD player, not using a turntable.

I bought an old receiver to play with and the claim was that it tested loud and clear, sounded great. I put on a record and there was no right channel in the phono eq, so I know they did not test it for record playing... just something to remember to test to be sure.

Thanks for the input. I got this reciever from my Dad. He used until about 4 or 5 years ago. Until that point, the only problem it had was static on some of the nobs. He regularly used it with CDs as well as a turntable. Of course, he also made no claim that it had been serviced. I know for a fact it has been looked at by a technician in around 15 to 20 years.

Daniel

CA=power amp

CT= tuner

CR= receiver

Great gear from those years, I have a CA 600 and a CT 400 that I still fire up every now and then. Bought them new in 1977 or was that 1976??? $400 for the amp, $200 for the tuner, $600 for a Tandberg 3500X Reel to Reel and $ 340 for a Beogram 1600 TT, prices are from memory but are deemed to be accurate.Yamaha was pretty new to high end audio at that time, I don't know how long they had been selling gear before that but not long if I remember right, Ahh the days of the stereo wars, great gear, good tunes, beer, hard booze ....... [;)]