Need SS power amp, 125+wpc

Yep this tube head needs a SS power amp but it is not for my 2 ch setup. No, it is for my HT.

L:et me tell you the story. Last Saturday was my birthday and it was a busy weekend for sure. Anyway, Sunday we had a small party for me at my home, just my parrents and my life long (over 30 years!) best friend. About 2 hours before they were due to arrive, I went out the front door to go to the store for some last minute supplys. As I was walking to the car, I noticed our "new" dog (8 month old puppy) walking with a limp, I took her inside and checked her out and found that she had an infected bite on her L F leg (from my 6 year old male, he will play with her for a long time but when he is done, he is done. She on the otherhand being a typical teenager, will keep pestering him to play more. This sometimes turns into a "disagreement" when she refuses to "listen" to his signals.) Anyway, a trip to the doggie ER was in order. She was treated with the proper medications and was released to go home. By the time I got home, my guests had been there for nearly 3 hours. Ok, this was not a good start to an informal party but the worst part was over, right? NOPE!

After dinner, we retired to the HT to watch the opening of the Olimpics. I walked over to the equipment rack and turned everything on and started talking to my buddy. I smelled something odd and looked over at the equipment and my main speaker amp (a Yamaha M50) was letting out the factory installed magic smoke! Dang!! once that stuff gets out, there is no putting it back! I turned it off quickly but the damage was done, no more smoke to let out.

I pulled it out of the rack and put it outside to reduce the "smell" in the house and re-connected the main speakers to the AV receiver. The system worked but I didn't like the sound as much as before the smoking incident.

All this to say, if someone has a SS power amp that they are not using, I might be interested in it. I would rather buy one from a board member over Ebay but there are a couple on the bay that I am looking at that end in the next day or so.

Any quality power amp will be considered. Thanks guys

Dean;

Oh about a buck three nintey five. I am fairly open on price but would like to keep it under 3-400.

I am looking at a Yamaha MX--1000u on the bay, it is close to me, free local pickup. The add says that the output LEDs don't work but the amp works great otherwise. I don't need the lights as the room is dark and the amp will be located near the front of the room. The starting price is $200 with no bids yet.

AMP

I know that with used gear, there is no guarantee that there will be no problems but I would rather take my chances with a board member than the general public.

Comments on what I have listed that I am looking at are also welcome!!

EDIT:

I am also looking at this:

NAD AMP

and this one

Anthem

Streching the budget a little,

Carver

Cal,

Not sure what they're going for lately, but McIntosh MC2100's (non-metered version of the 2105) were in the $400 range last time I looked in spring. Although rated at 100 wpc, my 2100 and 2105 both tested well above that. . . near 130 wpc I believe. My 2105 has been my main system amp for nearly 10 years now and hasn't let me down onces. They're tanks. . .

Jeff

Not having been into SS for a while, you really like this amp huh? What are the positives and neg. Thanks

Wayne

Any feedback on this Parasound amp?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1224177225

The price of $450 includes shipping and the specs are right for me, plus it is THX certified but it is about 12 years old.

You should really look into the Forte Amp.

OUTLAW RR 2150 ................ a little more money, only 100 watts per channel ..... www.outlawaudio.com .... check it out .... buy it once, have it for life, and it's brand new, unless you buy off the B list ............... go ahead Cal, take a look before you say No !!!!!!!!!! Why spend $450. for a 12 year old unit, take a look at this unit ............... Just a thought !!!!!!!!!!!

OB, Thanks for the tip but I am looking for a Power Amp and do not need any of the features on a receiver, I am using my Yamaha RX-V as a pre-amp and am using the pre-outs to a seperate power amp for the front main speakers. The center, sides and backs are powered by the Yamaha as this takes a large part of the load off from the power supply of the Yamaha. Thanks anyway!

They do make a pair of monoblocks that sort of look interesting

http://www.outlawaudio.com/promo_pages/promo_2200.html

but used gear have better specs in the same price range $674

Not having been into SS for a while, you really like this amp huh? What are the positives and neg. Thanks

Do some research on the web. Nelson Pass, Pass Labs, Forte Audio.

The Model 1 and 3 are both the same except wired differently. Model 1 is pure Class A operation at 50 wpc and Model 3 is A/B at 200 WPC. The 3 can be wired as a 1 if you wish. This is a true audiophile amp designed by one of the greats (at a low price too). His current amps are in the $5000 and up range.

http://www.passlabs.com/