Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

• Moderators

The easiest way would be just to adjust the grade to flow naturally. The more rain the faster it drains, pipes clog, pumps only pump when not broken or electricity is on, natural gravity flow works 24/7 , when not frozen, still not use to that part [:o]

We have used sump pumps before but only when it was an uphill or even grade, we just installed one of those plastic boxes with removable covers for the pump and float switch, ran discharge pipe to where it was to go, float cuts pump on and off automatically. But still not as simple as a nice grade that never needs any maintenance ever.

Garden ponds are nice but you still need an overflow with some type of drainage, those little ponds fill quickly when it rains. Our 1.5 acre pond overflows with enough rain, on the far end where it should (good thing) because sometimes it drains for days to get back to its normal level.

We have done some dry river beds for drainage also, they work and look nice, but it's one more thing to mow/weedwack around in the summer, they work best where alot of water passes, it's just a fancy grade when you get down to it.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" We have done some dry river beds for drainage also, they work and look
nice, but it's one more thing to mow/weedwack around in the summer,
they work best where alot of water passes, it's just a fancy grade when
you get down to it."

YES this is what I am planning. It'll be mulched around the edges and tree area also so it becomes only one large object to cut around.

" We have done some dry river beds for drainage also, they work and look nice, but it's one more thing to mow/weedwack around in the summer, they work best where alot of water passes, it's just a fancy grade when you get down to it."

YES this is what I am planning. It'll be mulched around the edges and tree area also so it becomes only one large object to cut around.

dtel -

Haven't you figured Michael out yet? When he gets an idea in his head and posts that idea here asking for opinions, in reality he's just looking for validation so he feels better about his decision. [:P] Smile

Tom

Amen Tom.

Ceiling stomping today! Got the 3/4" roller head, a bunch of buckets of mud all prepped (1/2 pan of water each, whipped until light and fluffy).

So the plan is to go gangbusters across the shorter side of the room back and forth and back and forth, keeping a wet edge as much as possible. Then in the middle of it all I have to move all my STUFF back from one end to the other, while keeping Steve going with the stomping activity. 1500 ft2. Anyone care to place bets on how long it takes us to get it done?

My back and shoulders are going to be soooo sore tonight.

If only Roger could stop by with pizza about 11:30, it would be a perfect day! [;)]

M

ps, ok probably I'll just cut out the earthen berm and eliminate the puddle, it's simpler and cheaper. Money is getting scarce.

2:00 and tools are cleaned. Took from about 9 until now, and that was with a lunch break and the PizzaHut/Taco Bell nearby. 6 cans of mud, somewhat thin texture, but covered the joints and shouldn't have to paint the ceiling. At 10'-6" height, it was a bit tougher than working on a standard ceiling but we got through it.

Finding out that working in the shop with the KeroSun heater is a sure fire headache-maker. Ugh. But it's on low and with circulating fan, should dry the room by tomorrow at this time. It was toasty shirt sleeve weather in there which is pretty good considering it was like 1 degree outside yesterday.

BTW, this is less than 90 days since ground breaking and Steve proudly proclaimed the shop 'move-in ready' as he left today! WOOOHOOO He's been on my case to not put more junk in there as we would have to move it all several times while doing the ceiling. I owe a lot to my brother Steve and would never have got through this project without him.

Not bad for a couple of PUNKS, eh?

Time for a shower and movie, I'm gonna collapse. My neck hurts. Nighty night....

M

doesn't look like much water....why not french drain it to the nearest low point....don't know if your are in a frost zone, but frost heaves could be problematic to your foundation if the land around your construction is not properly drained.

Thanks SF, but the foundation goes down 32", which is below the freeze/thaw line around here. Then there's the 2' of compacted stone fill and 6" of 4500 psi concrete. This isn't going anywhere. The building is up 2 block above natural grade at the lowest point. Dad isn't here but he was a civil engineer specializing in concrete. I built it solid enough to even impress him.

But I will reroute the water around the foundation. Got another issue on the front side where I have to put a drain in the driveway next spring when we pour that.

Based on a couple of suggestions (I think Ben and Marshall have bandied about the term), I have decided on a moniker for my workshop. Since I'm not a musician by any stretch, and always seem to be the 'behind the scenes providing great support' guy, I've selected a name that is descriptive, kinda fun, not faithful to any one brand (sorry, but you know how I feel there), and will allow simple signage.

The Shop shall be named 'Roadie's'.
That name comes a long way with my clan. Little Brother Steve, who was
so helpful in building the shop, was affectionately dubbed 'Roadie' back when

we had a garage band our senior year in high school. The guys even
chipped in and had a licence plate made up for his 1966 Cutlass in big
chrome letters on black
that proclaimed: ROADIE

It kind of fits with the last group photo taken during the 2008 Pilgrimage too!

[photo by the indefatigueable Ryan Hendrix]

post-10755-1381943600937_thumb.jpg

The guys in the 'band' photo are those who put up with my generalling around and pointing and lifting and digging into some really old dirty PA cabinets for the better part of Friday afternoon (and some well beyond that! LOL)

Our task for the weekend was to inventory the drivers on the bigger PA system. I was placing one last parts order with Klipsch on my way out the door.

Speaking of which, see my new thread- NAME THE PRO GEAR!

Tired of working in the dark. Track lighting going in today. I finally got stuff arranged enough to clear the shop floor area. 3 tracks at 20 feet each, got 5 x75 watt cans in the first track and it looks darned good. Nice even lighting with some overlap and not too much wattage. Each track is switchable separately so I need only turn on what I need to work. Lots of days the center track alone should be enough. It's about double the wattage as using Fl bulbs so when winter is over and I don't need the heat, I'll swap out to FL Par cans, I think they put out as much light as 75 watt for only 17 watts each. I've got one to experiment with and the lens is deeper and clear so it's a wider flood than my standard indoor/outdoor 28 degree floods. Problem is that they take a while to start in cold weather.

HA, some non-Klipsch friends (yes I have friends) came over tonight. One guy, who works for a big local radio station commented on Roadie's - "Damn, I've recorded albums in places smaller than this!".

They all laughed and proclaimed me quite out of my skull. Good, so long as there aren't any mistaken impressions! [8-)] [*-)] [:^)]

Got a lot of tools and stuff moved over this week, it's taking shape but floor space is rapidly diminishing. Can't wait to get the MCM's up and running and pumping out the jams!

M

Got a lot of tools and stuff moved over this week, it's taking shape but floor space is rapidly diminishing. Can't wait to get the MCM's up and running and pumping out the jams!

It'll be quite the stack!!

jams.jpg

I don't have the radient heat up and running, but here's the damage for December.

Electric bill went up a bit, with my little electric heater at 600 watt setting and pretty much running continuously, 600 x 24x 30 - 432 KWH, or about $28 to run for the month. That kept the shop above freezing although we've had some days at 0 or 10 degrees in Dec. Probably ran three cans of kerosene at 4.5 gal x $3/gal or another $40 to stay warm while I was working out there. I don't think $68 is bad for the month. Hopefully the new heating system will be more efficient (certainly less smelly than the kerosene).

• 2 months later...

whew, if you build a building this big, someone has to caulk it and paint it - guess who?

But it's a beautiful day to blast some MCM and LSI's outdoors to some nice light jazz. The musical style has to fit the task at hand. Jimi Hendrix for destruction work for instance. Today I need to keep my tongue on the right side so a big folder of misc JAZZIZ tunes is flying around in the iPod this afternoon.