Who makes the best 7 channel surround processor out there??

twistedcrankcammer

It has been a few years since I followed real heavily on gear. I am getting ready to purchase a new 7 channel surround sound processor. I want to know who makes the best processor out there that is also exceptional and stands out in two channel as well as 7 channel stereo. I am already very happy with my amplification that I have, so I am looking for a processor. I don't want to spend more than about $3,000 on a processor. So far I have been looking at Krell and some Lexicon, and really like what I see in the Lexicons. Any input in sound quality between the two?? Any recomendations for other contenders in this price range??

Sorry if this double posts.... Roger

I'm a little biased in my thinking but try looking at a used Meridian
568.2 Save some coin and still have a great surround processor. I have
an older 561 and it havs served me well for over 10 years. Meridian's
gear is very pricey when bought new sometimes upwards of 20K for some
of the new units but they're not that much of an improvement for the
price. The 568.2 still has DTS, 7.1 runs at 96khz..... champange
taste at a beer budget. BadDad

What kind of amp(s) do you have? I'm not sure if it helps to match brands, but it probably doesn't hurt.

On the other hand, I can make a strong reccomendation for B&K. I would say it would rank up there as some of the best equipment available at any price. It's not cheap but it's also not overly expensive. I've heard $60,000 McIntosh systems that my system would embarass.

What kind of amp(s) do you have? I'm not sure if it helps to match brands, but it probably doesn't hurt.

On the other hand, I can make a strong reccomendation for B&K. I would say it would rank up there as some of the best equipment available at any price. It's not cheap but it's also not overly expensive. I've heard $60,000 McIntosh systems that my system would embarass.

I have four old Nakamichi PA-7s in very good condition presently. I have always been happy with the PA-7s, but after I buy a processor, I may buy a used 2 channel Krell amp with 200 watts per channel, to compare the two. I am a big believer in multiple amps over multi-channel amplification.

Roger

Don't know if it is the "best," but B&K just released their new Reference 70.

I'll second bhenry's B&K recommendation & concur on using multiple amps. I running a B&K Ref 50 with four B&K ST-125.2 amps in my main system of LaScalas, Cornwalls, & Heresys. Sounds good to me!

James

Perhaps I should clarrify what I am looking at, and I want to compare too. I want something used, that is just a few years old or less, that I can get for arroud $3,000 used because somebody is loosing their butt in this economy. I will paste a picture of the same model Lexicon I was looking at, with a MSRP of $13,995. One just sold on ebay slightly used from a 100% feedback seller for $3,065!! As soon as you buy a processor, it will become old techknowlogy as fast as a computer. I hated the sound of the "Pushy Button" Kenwoods of the day. I don't need, or want 1000 hookups I will never use like on that Integra unit. NAD is good gear, but I want no compromise great gear with build quality that is on another plane. I am looking into the used Meridian gear as suggested. I would much rather have the best guts then the most functions. The Nakamichi PA-7s were over $2,000 each back in 1989. A used Krell amp that can be had for arround $2700 used is a $10,000 amp new. Below is the processor I am considdering, and would like input on comparable models I should look for in this price range on the used market. Thanks for being patient and helpful......

Roger

##1##
imgCrnrO4.gif ##2## imgCrnrO3.gif
s.gif
s.gifGo backs.gifBack to list of items s.gif
Listed in category: Electronics > Home Audio > Processors
s.gif
ltCurve.gif

Lexicon MC-12HDB EQ Surround Processor

Item number: 220274764051 rtCurve.gif
s.gif
s.gif
You are signed in
Watch this item in My eBay
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
statusCheck_28x28.gif This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
bltGrey.gif Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
bltGrey.gifReceive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif s.gif s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
imgFreeShipping.gif
s.gif
Lexicon MC-12HDB EQ Surround Processor
s.gif
Previous Picture Stop Play Next Picture
1 of 9
iconOpenWindow_20x20.gif Supersize
s.gif
s.gif
Current bid: US $4,037.00
Reserve not met
s.gif
Your maximum bid:
US $
Place Bid >
(Enter US $4,087.00 or more)
s.gif
Buy It Now price: US $6,999.99 Buy It Now >

End time: Sep-02-08 22:00:00 PDT (1 day 12 hours)
Shipping costs:
Free
UPS Ground
Service to United States
Ships to: United States
Item location: Mount Joy, PA, United States
History: 12 bids
High bidder: l***ls.gif( 144Feedback score is 100 to 499) s.gif

You can also:
Get SMS or IM alerts | Email to a friend
Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Aug-28-08 22:00:00 PDT
Starting bid: US $100.00
Duration: 5-day listing
Payment methods:
PayPal
See details
s.gif
s.gif
Meet the seller
Seller:s.gif s.gifvooghts.gif( 58Feedback score is 50 to 99) s.gif
Member: since Mar-05-01 in United States
bullet.gif See detailed feedback
bullet.gif Ask seller a question s.gif
bullet.gif Add to Favorite Sellers
bullet.gif View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly
s.gif
s.gif

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 58 | 100% Positive
See detailed feedback
2. Check how you're protected
s.gif
logoPayPal_58x16.gif

Up to $200 in buyer protection. See eligibility

s.gif
s.gif
Description
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Item Specifics - Item Condition
Condition:

New

s.gif
Product Type :

Processors

Number of Channels :

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
hdr1_dvd2.gif hdr2_dvd2.gif
left1_dvd2.gif

WE ARE VOOGHT AUDIOVIDEO A CUSTOM HOME THEATER AND SURROUND SOUND SALES AND INSTALLATION DEALER IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. WE PURCHASED THIS UNIT IN HOPE OF SELLING THE LEXICON LINE. HOWEVER, WE HAVE COME TO REALIZE THAT THERE IS NOT MUCH OF A MARKET IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA FOR THIS CALIBER OF COMPONENTS. THEREFORE, WE ARE SELLING THIS UNIT OFF. THIS UNIT IS BRAND NEW AND COMES WITH A 3 YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY. THIS PROCESSOR IS LEXICON'S TOP OF THE LINE RETAILING FOR $13,999.99. OUR RESERVE IS MUCH LOWER THAN THAT OF COURSE. ANYBODY INTERESTED IN THIS PROCESSOR KNOWS WHAT IT IS. THESE ARE THE ACTUAL PHOTOS OF THE UNIT FOR SALE. IT COMES WITH ALL THE PIECES SHOWN IN THE PICTURES INCLUDING BOXES, ALL MANUALS, REMOTE CONTROL, POWER CORD, AND BATTERIES. THE UNIT HAS NOT BEEN USED, THEREFORE, DOES NOT HAVE THE V1.21 UPGRADE FROM LEXICON. THIS UPGRADE OFFERS HDMI VERSION 1.3 SWITCHING AND 1080p VIDEO THROUGH THE HDMI INPUTS AND OUTPUTS. THIS UPGRADE IS AVAILABLE FREE THROUGH LEXICON'S WEBSITE. THE WINNING BIDDER CAN DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE THEMSELVES, OR IF THEY REQUEST, WE CAN DOWNLOAD AND UPGRADE THE UNIT FOR YOU PRIOR TO SHIPMENT FREE OF CHARGE SO THE UNIT WILL BE UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST VERSION FROM LEXICON.

PAYMENT VIA PAY PAL ONLY. NO INTERNATIONAL SALES OR SHIPPING. SHIPPING WILL BE FREE IN THE CONTINENTAL U.S. VIA UPS GROUND, OR IF YOU WISH, ITEM CAN BE PICKED UP AT OUR LOCATION. HOWEVER, ITEM MUST BE PAID IN FULL VIA PAY PAL AND FUNDS CLEARED. (USUALLY TAKES A FEW DAYS)

PLEASE NOTE: MICROPHONE KIT IS SOLD SEPARATELY. IF YOU WISH TO PURCHASE IT, LET US KNOW AND WE CAN GIVE YOU PRICING AND AVAILABILITY.

ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN CONTACT US THROUGH EBAY'S EMAIL, OR CALL US DIRECTLY AT: (800) 545-7160 OR LOOK FOR US ON THE WEB AT vooghtav (you know the rest) AND CONTACT US THROUGH THAT AS WELL.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BIDDING!!!

s.gif s.gif s.gifSelect a picture
af6e_12.JPG

s.gif
af6e_0.JPG bcf4_0.JPG
cd87_0.JPG f52c_0.JPG
027e_0.JPG 0d14_0.JPG
2037_0.JPG 2ddb_0.JPG
4368_0.JPG s.gif
right1_dvd2.gif
left2_dvd2.gif right2_dvd2.gif
ftr1_dvd2.gif ftr2_dvd2.gif

s.gif
s.gif
Shipping and handling
Ships to
United States

Shipping and Handling To Service Insurance
Free
United States
UPS Ground
1 to 6 business days*
Loss/Damage protection included up to $100

Shipping and Handling To Service Insurance
FREE United States UPS Ground
1 to 6 business days*
Loss/Damage protection included up to $100
*Sellers are not responsible for service transit time. This information is provided by the carrier and excludes weekends and holidays. Note that transit times may vary, particularly during peak periods.
Return policy
Return policy not specified.
Read item description for any reference to return policy.
Payment details
Payment method Preferred/Accepted Buyer protection on eBay
Accepted
logoPayPal_58x16.gif

Up to $200 in buyer protection. See eligibility

clk?RtmClk&t=1&lid=-9999&m=48136:48126%C
s.gif
Take action on this item
Item title: Lexicon MC-12HDB EQ Surround Processor
Place a bid
Current bid: US $4,037.00
Your maximum bid:
US $
s.gif
(Enter US $4,087.00 or more)
Place Bid > You will confirm in the next step.
imgVIor.gif
Buy It Now
Buy It Now price: US $6,999.99
Buy It Now > You will confirm in the next step.

eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid.
Learn about bidding.
Purchase this item now without bidding.
Learn about Buy It Now.
Other options
s.gifGo backs.gifBack to list of items | Report this item | Printer Version | Sell one like this

Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
s.gif

eBay Pulse | eBay Reviews | eBay Stores | eBay Express | Reseller Marketplace | Austria | France | Germany | Italy | Spain | United Kingdom | Popular Searches
Half.com | Tickets | Kijiji | PayPal | ProStores | Apartments for Rent | Shopping.com | Skype

s.gif
About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | eBay Toolbar | Policies | Government Relations | Site Map | Help
Copyright © 1995-2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
s.gif
eBay official time
s.gif

Roger,

Are you sure it was a MC-12HD that sold for $3k and not a MC-12?

If
you can get a MC-12HD used for $3k BUY IT! Last I looked that is about
what a MC-12 (v5 software) sold for. The difference between a MC-12 and
MC-12HD is the MC-12HD has the 6 HDMI inputs on it, the MC-12 does not
have those.

The MC-12 is what I was thinking of for
your budget of $3k. With v5 software it has processing for 7 channel
systems that no one else has.

Shawn

Roger,

Are you sure it was a MC-12HD that sold for $3k and not a MC-12?

If you can get a MC-12HD used for $3k BUY IT! Last I looked that is about what a MC-12 (v5 software) sold for. The difference between a MC-12 and MC-12HD is the MC-12HD has the 6 HDMI inputs on it, the MC-12 does not have those.

The MC-12 is what I was thinking of for your budget of $3k. With v5 software it has processing for 7 channel systems that no one else has.

Shawn

Shawn,

It was an MC-12HD, I had a watch on it, but descided to put my question to the forum befor pulling the trigger, to see if there was something out there similar in this price range used that I should look at. It sold for $3,065. There is a MC-12 on now with an opening bid of $2000.

Roger

I had your same logic on the multi channel amplifiers since I ran 4 Yamaha MX-1000U's, then 2 DBX BX-3MkII's (2,3,4 channel configurable amps) and eventually 2 rare DBX Configurable BX-I's ($5000 each) but I found a 7 channel amp that had the same performance as all of the above in a single chassis. The Sherbourn 7/2100A which is a true 7 channel mono block amplifier rated at 200W x 7 @ 8ohms and 300W x 7 @ 4 ohms. I wanted something newer that was repairable since DBX consumer has been out of business since 1990 and there is no longer a Nakamichi Service Center either and parts are scarce so it may be time to move onto other amplification. I have been very, very pleased with the Sherbourn's performance and customer service is top notch I spoke with the owner of the company directly prior to my purchase and that is not common in this day and age. Great amplifier for the price and built like a tank at 120lbs with dual power cords so you don't need a 30A service.

The best is beyond the mortal's wallet,made by Mark Levinson. A multi box pre/pro (separate switching!).

The best by human standards is the Lexicon pointed by a few,an all around outstaning performer from a huge name in HT...Lexicon.

After you have Krell ,Anthem D2 and a few upscales units...but the Lexicon is worth each penny.

The best is beyond the mortal's wallet,made by Mark Levinson. A multi box pre/pro (separate switching!).

The best by human standards is the Lexicon pointed by a few,an all around outstaning performer from a huge name in HT...Lexicon.

After you have Krell ,Anthem D2 and a few upscales units...but the Lexicon is worth each penny.

Maybe, if your only concern is audio. When you put video into the "picture" then the D2's stock goes way up. The Anthem's audio is no slouch however, especially with ARC. (Fanboy post).

"Maybe, if your only concern is audio. When you put video into the "picture" then the D2's stock goes way up."

The D2s built in video processing is nice and a good option for those looking for an all in one setup.

I took the seperates approach and use the Lexicon for audio processing and a Lumagen Radiance for the video processing. My UT integrates the two together to act as one and even puts the Lexicon's front panel display up on screen through the Radiance even though no video is passing through the Lexicon.

Shawn

The D2s built in video processing is nice and a good option for those looking for an all in one setup.

I took the seperates approach and use the Lexicon for audio processing and a Lumagen Radiance for the video processing. My UT integrates the two together to act as one and even puts the Lexicon's front panel display up on screen through the Radiance even though no video is passing through the Lexicon.

Shawn

Nice.