New to me; Klipsch La scalas

Normo

I am new to this forum-this is my first post. I hope this is the right forum. I just picked up a pair of La Scalas that I think date from 1983. They sound great but there is a little boominess in the midrange that maybe due to old out of spec caps, room acoustics-its on wood over concrete, or cab vibrations. It could also be the amp I am using. I am trying them with my kenwood KA-907 which matches well with JBL 4430s but may not be the best match for these speakers. I don't want to ruin the "magic" that is still there-any suggestions on where to start? Thanks Norm

Norm,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on getting some LS. I replaced the AL crossovers in my LS with some I built, and the difference was astonishing. I whole heartedly agree with Bob about replacing them.

We always like pictures, to see what folks have purchased. But no matter what, just enjoy for a while.

Bruce

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your La Scalas! I discovered this place after I bought a pair of 1974 La Scalas and met many new friends, along with learning a great deal about all things Klipsch, as well as lots of audio info.

You'll find that your speakers can be made to sound better and better and this is the place to find out.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I checked into what I have and the idea of new x-overs sounds good to me. I have a K-77M tweeter, a K-55M mid, and a K-33E woofer. The x-over is type AL and they date from 82 or 83. What type of cross over replacement do you recommend,. Norm

Spend a short period of time checking through posts on this the forums here and you'll find Bob Crites is about as honest, skilled and knowledgeable as you're going to get for a reasonable price (or even a higher price). He'll either sell you the kits to build/rebuild crossovers yourself or give you drop in units. My dealing with Bob were A+ all the way. I'd also second his opinion on the AL crossovers not being Klipsch's best effort and would also suggest you consider replacing them.

I know there are other people here who offer similar services, so no slights intended.

What type of cross over replacement do you recommend

That should open a can of worms...[*-)]

Some say that simpler is better, and that is kind of what I did on mine. A first order (6db per octave) between bass and mid driver, with second order (12db per octave) between the mid driver and tweeter. Mine is also a constant impedance, so my tube amps like it a lot. Some say these are also better for low power or lower listening levels. Bob's A and AAs also fall into this category (making new versions of the originals).

You can get extreme slope crossovers (up to 100+ db per octave) to almost totally isolate what each driver reproduces. There is only a very small amount of interaction between the driver's outputs this way. Some love these versions (popularized by Al K), although the general thought is that these need to be cranked a little to sound their best. YMMV

Or, you can go crazy and tri amp thing with active crossovers and separate amps.

Some of this may depend on the music you like to listen to and what your current amplification happens to be.

Bruce

Welcome to the forum. I have Bob's tweeters and ALK type B crossovers. This combo sounds great - musical highs with out all the static of the old 77s and the JBL Baby cheeks that I tried. For 2 channel I am running an Adcom 700 CD player with variable outputs directly to an Adcom GFA-535 II, no preamp. Sounds great for very little cash, less than $400 for both, until I can afford/demo a tube preamp.