Subs with La Scala's: What Do YOU Use?

jdm56

The only subs I have on hand to use are a pair of Velodyne DLS-4000R's. I think they will be a lot better than nothing, but far from ideal, too. So what is the ideal affordable sub set-up with La Scala's? I'm thinking something that really hits between 30-50Hz and to heck with the really deep stuff. Maybe a pair of KSW15's or a pair of Cerwin-Vega's? Or perhaps a pair of SVS cylinders would be better...What y'all using?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Better yet JL Audio f113...

better yet...SVS Ultra-13(a little extra output below 30Hz over the JL)...

better yet...Danley DTS-20(yet more output,and from all accounts the best SQ)...

Better yet...a wall of subs that can more than keep up with even industrial Klipsch fronts! [:P]

Paradigm PW2100. 400 watts RMS, 1500 watts peak.

Fairly flat down to 25Hz in my room and its 10-inch driver seems fast enough to keep up with the JubScalas (and when they were regular La Scalas).

I chose the PW2100 over the 12-inch driver PW2200 (which has the same amp) because the 2100 was reputed to be better suited for playing music than its bigger brother, which is said to be better for movies, although I've watched many movies and never felt the 2100 to be inadequate.

• 2 weeks later...

M&K has sharply falling output below 30Hz, the very poor Xmech on the drivers will not allow any M&K subwoofer to be a great match for a large Klipsch speakers...unless serious sub sonic information is not a priority for the user.Not to misunderstand what i say,they are not poor quality,to the contrary M&K subs are well built and use quality parts. Simply they are no contenders in the serious subsonic(below 25Hz) business.

And with large mains solid outout(linearity)down to 16Hz is a must in my view.

• 3 weeks later...

Q-Man,

Did you have a pair of Sunfire Signature subs before? One Epik Conquest no doubt takes two Sunfire Sigs to the cleaners and back. [:P] I had a Sig,Mark II and Super jr. also...all SOLD. No more tiny "subs" for me...I agree a Epik Conquest will do justice to large efficient Klipsch speakers.

As of this moment, these are my leading contenders for high-value stereo subs to use with LSII's:

AV123 MFW-15's

Relatively new, but look to offer class leading thump for the buck.

Epik Knights

Also rather new on the market, I think, but from all accounts are another contender for the high-value crown. A bit crude looking.

Velodyne DLS-5000R's

I think the Velo's lag a bit in ultimate performance, but have some nice whiz-bang features and are...Velodynes.

EAR

I only have one Signature. I was going to keep it and try it as a center channel sub, but the more I heard the Conquest I decided "What's the point ? "

I'm sure that the Conquest will best 2 Signature's in output and the Signature's won't dig as deep. I now hear and feel things that have opened my eyes, or should I say EARS ? BUT, you know this. I've been wanting to buy a different sub for years now. Every time I was ready to buy a new subwoofer I would read about one that just came out and was better then the one that I was going to buy. I was all set to go with the JL sub, then I found Craigs sub list on the AVS forum.

I agree, no more tiny subs.

jdm56

I too almost went with 2 MFW-15's from AV123. One Conquest will best 2 MFW-15's. I think in both output and down low. I think that I remember that the output of 2 MFW-15's was close to the Conquest. I was afraid that if 2 MFW-15's didn't keep up with my 6 Klipschorns and 4 LaScalas that I would have to buy 2 more. My gamble with 1 Conquest ment that I would only have to buy one more Conquest if I felt that I needed more. I'm running out of room and places to put speakers.

Well Belles not LaScalas but I did have the same M&K sub until the wife graciously spent our refund on an SVS, see signature. There is no comparison between those two. I have only heard my own system with only not very good passive JBL control, the Miller & Kriesel and the SVS (I don't get out a lot)

...leaning real hard towards dual AV123 MFW-15's. the economy has me spooked though. would it be less than prudent to "blow" $1400 on a pair of killer subs right now?Devil

Then let me say a little more about the Conquest. After living with it for some time now I wouldn't suggest any less of a sub to go with Klipschorns or LaScalas. This will also depend on your room size. My room is about 17' x 50' and is open to a 16' x 20' room that can be closed off by flimsy double doors that I usually leave open. Normal listening for me is between 88 and 94 db on the Rat Shack meter. I can now enyoy listening at around the 85 db level, because the Conquest will fill the room on the low end. Before nothing under 94db would please me. I still prefer levels at around 94 db. When I'm into something that I like the listening level goes up to 104db. The Sunfire could keep up in volume up to 94, then it would't go any louder. The Conquest will allow me to listen to levels up to 110 db in my room. This is around the level where the Klipschorns will keep going, but the Conquest won't. So, I could use another one if I want more head room. My McIntosh amp meters read around a steady 1 watt per channel ( I have 10 channels ), at 88 db. When at 94 db the meters show a steady 2 to 5 watts. To get to 104db. I have to feed the Klipschorns a steady 20 watts. At 107 to 110 db, which is too loud to listen to for long, the Conquest won't increase in volume, but the Klipschorns will.