Houston, East Texas Audiophiles: The Battle of the Titans date is...

Mallette

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned, I can sleep up to nine on beds upstairs. Two of them are doubles, the others singles. There is ample floor space. Please re-state your intentions and degree of certainty of attending.

I will provide supper, beverages, and breakfast. Any help on beverages will be appreciated. I will also have the pool and spa heated so be prepared if you want to soak.

Here are my selections so far for the comparison:

Piano: Stewart Wayne Foster, Claude Debussy "Clarie de Lune," MBSDAR recording

Strings, Piano, Clarinet: Hubbard Chamber Ensemble, Percy Grainger "Molly on the Shore." MBSDAR recording

Live: Asylum Street Spankers "St. James Infirmary" MBSDAR recording

Rock: Jan and Dean "Get Around" Audiophile pressing

Hard Rock: Midnight Oil, "Beds are Burning"

Pipe Organ: Vigil Fox Charles Marie Widor "Toccata," Crystal Clear recording

I am also open to anything you guys might bring.

Input asked from those attending or those not on this part. Todd (SoundTowne) is a possible to bring a second ST-70 so we can amp both systems identically. It has occurred to me that my Super PAS4i preamp has a parallel set of line outputs. I could run a long line into the Frazier listening area and run the pieces simultaneously for a true "apples and apples" comparison. Otherwise, we'll be using different components for phono, CD, etc. Also, you'd be able to move back and forth from each room in real time to compare. What are your thoughts on this idea?

Jeff Matthews: What time do you think you could get here after your speech? I was thinking of starting the main event about 5pm, but will adjust if it helps you.

Prior to that we'll just listen randomly and visit. Same after.

Suggestions?

This is gonna be a LOT of fun!

Dave

This is the equipment for the Elevens. The Rotel 3000 on the new pedestal has a Shure 3009II arm and a Stanton 681. It was in my audio closet waiting for this. There is a Sony HT receiver, a DBX 3BX, and the Soundcraftsman Tuner, Amp and Preamp along with the old MBS-5 DAW. This is normally on the wall, but is pulled out for the painting. Also, I am considering running a line from the K'horn room preamp out so we can compare speakers only without a difference in sources.

post-9494-13819417864148_thumb.jpg

My music room. The PAW bought us a really super leather sofa that improves seating both in numbers and in comfort. That Super PAS4i preamp has parallel line outs which I can use to run to the other system so we can run material simultaneously from a single source to both systems.

post-9494-13819417866348_thumb.jpg

The moving from room to room idea sounds interesting, in lieu of a/b switching. I like it, sort of a progressive listening. Obviously the rooms will be as much of the evaluation as the speakers. This should be a lot of fun. I was thinking of bringing my barely if that trackable on the first track lp of Remain in Light by the Talking Heads, maybe my japanese pressing of Zappa's Apostrophe. The lp of TMonk and Coltrane live at Carnegie Hall? Any other suggestions?

The moving from room to room idea sounds interesting, in lieu of a/b switching.  I like it, sort of a progressive listening.  Obviously the rooms will be as much of the evaluation as the speakers.  This should be a lot of fun.  I was thinking of bringing my barely if that trackable on the first track lp of Remain in Light by the Talking Heads, maybe my japanese pressing of Zappa's Apostrophe.  The lp of TMonk and Coltrane live at Carnegie Hall?  Any other suggestions? 

Bring it all! We are bedding the kids down in our downstairs bedroom so there are no limits.

Let's listen until we start talking about politics or football! Then you can all go home...

Dave

I regret that I'll have to sit this one out, but I'd love to attend (my finances and my unreliable car prevent me)! I'd bring my big, bad Baldwin 6L6 amp, and my 180 gram pressing of Dave Mason's Alone Together, and various organ CDs, natch!

Maybe next time...[;)]

Jim:

I am really jonesin' to get set up Hauptwerke on those Elevens. I am thinking this would be killer and better than Allan or Rogers. Also, you may recall that my mother in law lives in Brandon and it's been a while, so we may be your way sometime next year.

Anyway, if you ever get out this way our idea of advance notice is a knock on the door.

Dave

That's right-neighborly of you, Dave. And you're probably right...a multi-voiced (Baroque and Symphonic) Hauptwerk virtual pipe organ would blow away a digital Rodgers or Allen (although Johannes organs sound pretty convincing, along with Marshall & Ogletree instruments).

Hi Dave...I am in. Sorry I haven't gotten back with you. Been pretty busy with the storm and the aftermath. We made out with very little damage but have housed several refugees. That was pretty exhausting in itself! [:(]

Hopefully a few more locals will make it. If you get a crowd promised, in lieu of dogs, I would be glad to provide my (soon-to-be) famous 'smoke-ring burgers'! Do you have a medium-large charcoal grill or smoker?

Rick

All I have is a large gas grill. I HAVE learned to burn mesquite in it between the burners and the grill to some good effect.

It's a real change for me. I was all firebox and old fashioned up in Flower Mound with a large grove of post oak to burn, but the city is another deal. Hope to get back to the old ways sometime.

However, if you can work with that any help will be appreciated and a more upscale quisine would certainly be nice.

Dave

Sorry I haven't been watching this thread. I mostly hang out in the politics section. Anyway, I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting you, Dave. Oldie, I'm looking forward to meeting you, too.

So, who all is coming? Also, Dave, what time are you starting? I was not planning on staying late or anything, especially since my lecture was bumped to end around 1:45 p.m.. Oldie, will you be there early?

I will be sure and pack some favorite tunes.