Houston, East Texas Audiophiles: The Battle of the Titans date is...

Mallette

As to confirmed attendees:

Doug and Terry Rountree and their granddaughters's husband Micah
Jeff Matthews
RIck Rigler (TubesnHorns, who has volunteered as burger chef)
Paul Nussbaum (Pauln, I haven't heard from Paul since the storm, but he was on just before)
Sean (my work colleague with the laser TT. However, his baby is just getting out of the hospital today so I need to re-confirm)

Possibles:
Ron (LoneLobo, he is a pretty sure but would cancel if he got work. He is a freelance videographer)
Brian (Old Timer, who was feeling poorly but still hoping to make it
Todd (SoundTowne, who is also hopeful and trying to get my nieces husband to drive down with him)

I've also put a note in the general forum under the hurricane thread to Wrenched and Rigged25, both of whom are in the area. Probably should send a PM to Erik Mandaville. Haven't seen him post lately, but he'd be a good one as well.

Dave

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PAW wanted me to mention that if you have wives, SO's they will be welcome. If they get tired of audiophilia they can sit by the pool, jump in the spa, or whatever. I have kids 6 and 10, so yours are welcome as well. There will be adult supervision for swimming.

Dave

The TAW (Tolerant Audiophile Wife) could probably care less about audiophilia, but she may tag along anyhow.

For the burgers, I will probably bring the weathered, well used, but well respected 55-gallon barrell pit out of retirement. It is not really retired, just passed along to mother-in-law. This pit (and I) made the best smoked brisket I have ever eaten one weekend at Crystal Beach. Heck, I had twenty-something year old chicks wanting to take me home that weekend! [:P] The TAW was not amused [:@]

If you will post approx head count Saturday morning, I will know how much beef and buns and lettuce and tomato to pick up. I will also bring my homemade hot salsa and chips.

Looking forward to it!

Rick

The TAW (Tolerant Audiophile Wife) could probably care less about audiophilia, but she may tag along anyhow.

For the burgers, I will probably bring the weathered, well used, but well respected 55-gallon barrell pit out of retirement. It is not really retired, just passed along to mother-in-law. This pit (and I) made the best smoked brisket I have ever eaten one weekend at Crystal Beach. Heck, I had twenty-something year old chicks wanting to take me home that weekend! Stick out tongue The TAW was not amused Angry

If you will post approx head count Saturday morning, I will know how much beef and buns and lettuce and tomato to pick up. I will also bring my homemade hot salsa and chips.

Looking forward to it!

Rick

I hear you on the "auld methods." I get a lot of use from the gas grill, but it in no way subs for my old smoker from Flower Mound. I need to fix that. It's just that palm doesn't seem to provide quite the flavor of post oak and I had a yard full of it there.

I'll get a count to you. Seems to ebb and flow, but we'll have a good time fer shure. I'm gonna get a couple of 5 liter kegs of whatever gut cherman brewski I can find. It's tough living in a disaster area, but we are even tougher.

Dave

Right now it's looking about 6 and a few kids, not counting yourself and the TAW. I spoke with Sean, the guy with the laser TT, and he is hopeful possibly with his wife.

Anytime after lunch is fine. I'll probably be messing around with the systems in the AM. OK, that's what I am usually doing on Saturday morning...

Dave

Doc, I have no idea what vintage this ELP is. Will post if it shows...

Just got this from Brian (Old Timer)

"Alright Dave, I'm going for it. Will be leaving tomorrow morning, Can't bring the wife she'll be working and out of town. If you have any last minute requests let me know. I have vinyl to bring choosing a japanese pressing of zappa apostrophe, digital live count basie (very dynamic), tmonk and coltrane at carnegie hall, and a warped talking heads remain in light to test the laser player or even the regular decks...I'll have 6 cds in the car system, which i might figure out how to work on the way down lol. So let me know, music, food, beverage? Regards, brian."

Still haven't heard from Todd (SoundTowne) or Paul (pauln).

Dave

I just know I'm missing out on something really big here, dernnit! I should've just blew off the bills I owe this month and hopped on a jet to TX with a toothbrush in my back pocket and my Baldwin amp cradled in my arms (don't know if I could get past airport security, though, 'cause to the unenlightened my tube amp would be mistaken for a weapon)!

From those of us left behind, we expect to at least see some great photos taken of this li'l shindig...

Rick, I am holding with six adults and a few kids. We'll adjust if necessary if that changes.

Now, I am disappointed to report that no matter how I run it or ground it there is a hum between the two preamps. I'd REALLY like to do the simultaneous thing as it would make the comparison much more equal, but I am at a loss.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Dave - I can bring the Foreplay pre if you like. It has two line outputs. Not gonna guarantee it will cure the hum problem though.

Roger on the head count. I will have plenty of burgers, buns and condiments and salsa and chips. PAW can provide a side? These burgers are pretty big!

Rick

Rick:

We are covered on everything else. Come on when ready...

Dave

PS - No, probably won't help with the hum. No matter how I get it there, if there is ANYTHING in common it hums. All that would help would be a hum trap, and I don't have one.