hooking all my components to both systems

Oaklands

I have started buying and selling vintage equipment so I could build my own system. At the present time I will have the following 2 systems:

Hitachi SR-2004 200 wpc

Pioneer M-90 Power Amp 200 wpc

Pioneer C-90 Pre-amp (this system also has a reverberator and range expander)

Pioneer 6 disk cd player

Bang and Olufsen TX-2 turntable

Teac A3440 Reel to Reel

2 Klipsch Fortes

What I would like to do is be able to hook all my components through both my Hitachi and Pioneer systems through a switch box so I don't have to change wires around. I have found a good speaker switch to flip them over.

Does anyone know of a device/switch that will allow me to do this?

Thanks,

Keith

http://www.esotericsound.com/elect.htm

The super connector is with out a doubt the best way to go.......You plug all your sources into the SC and can flip a passive switch and change between sources on the fly....

you can also connect up to 3 amps/pre via the tape outs on the SC and switch between them as well.

If you wish you can also add an EQ or DBX anywhere in the loop.

it is totally passive and made of high grade materials...introducing no noise or hum whatsoever!

If you want to share speakers between the different amps then a Niles Switchbox will also be needed.

...You plug all your sources into the SC and can flip a passive switch and change between sources on the fly...

This may be what I've been looking for.......to work as a HT bypass between my Denon 3805 receiver and Cambridge Audio preamp......they'd share the same speakers........flip the switch to safely listen to one or the other without having to re-wire anything?

No noise? No Hum? Could this be true? [:o][:D]

You can cascade down with the ESSC's, but not "up". In other words, I can take a CD player and cascade that signal out to multiple amps, or a device between the ESSC and the amps. I use one ESSC as the "hub" for: the computer which has a music files; the TASCAM CCC-222 CD/Cassette unit, the Revox B-77 R2R, and the TASCAM CD-RW700 CD player, and the TU-9900 tuner. So now I have all my "sources" gathered up and can switch to whichever I want. This is the same "system" used by modern AVR's, but using multiple audio components. That is important because I'm dealing only with analog audio signals in the 150-200mV range.

I now select which source I want to listen to by switching the ESSC monitor "knob" to that unit. From that ESSC, whichever one is being monitored goes out from the ESSC to the SAE 2800 unit which I use for "tweaking" certain freqs. It's an active parametric EQ, but it is a very high quality unit (vintage... they don't make them anymore). The SAE 2800 does not have to be turned on unless I want to actually work with it. In the "out" position and with the power turned off, the signal just passes through without any effect. I also can transfer any source to one of the three recording decks from the ESSC.

From the SAE 2800 it then goes to the other ESSC. This second ESSC is used as the "distributor" in that it sends the source signal from the first ESSC to the four amps (and a 5th one if I want to test an amp). The ESSC can actually send the same input signal from a source to up to 6 separate "devices". Since the input and output are identical (the ESSC is passive), the device receiving a signal only sees a 150-200 mV signal and assumes it's from a tape deck, tuner, aux, etc.

I can listen to one, two, three, or any/all of them in any combination. Since the primary amps are identical, it's a matter of setting the gain (volume) for the music, ambience, or whatever I'm doing. I really like the ESSC system because during the week I can turn one different amp on each day and listen to NPR while I do some work in the "man cave" on the computer, etc.

I cannot, however hook a pair of speakers to two different amps. That would require a speaker "switch box" that absolutely disconnects one amp from the speakers when it connects the other.

FB mentioned the Niles unit. I am in the process of finishing up a simple speaker switching box that has speaker wire jacks from the amps along the bottom row and amp speaker jacks along the top row. The amps are connected to their respective jacks from the amps' speaker output terminals, and the speakers accordingly to theirs. To connect any amp to any speaker, I will have 5 "pairs" of speaker wire patch cords. I plug a pair into amp A's output jacks, and say to speaker pair C's input., etc. That way I can listen to the K'horns (or Belles, Forte's, Heresy's or whatever I've got in there at the time) on any of the four amps, or a 5th amp in the test "bay" (good for checking amps...), etc.

I'll post a schematic picture of what FB's talking about later today or tonight and it will make more sense.

In operation.... The turntable is way off on the left, and I keep a decorative "doilie towel" on the cover unless I'm using it. The TT is a Technics SL-1200-MK-II, Shure M97Xe, and is connected directly to the TASCAM unit which has a RIAA phono pre-amp built in.

From top to bottom, left to right: top row: Revox B-77, Sansui AU-111 (6L6GC tube amp); Sansui TU-9900; middle row: Furman Rack Rider power conditioner & Sansui AU-11000; Esoteric Sound Super Connector (Secondary feeds the amps) & Sansui AU-11000; Furman Rack Rider power conditioner & Sansui AU-11000; bottom row: TASCAM CD-RW8700; TASCAM CC-222-MK-II; APC-RS-1500 isolated battery UPS's; Esoteric Sound Super Connector (Primary for sources and feeds the other one for the amps); SAE 2800 PEQ. The "hole" on lower left is where I stick amps to test, etc. The patch cords from the ESSC are laying off in the back.

Holy batshite! That surely is dark and powerful and wicked looking. Now that THERES a SYSTEM ! If Grandpa were here he'd say 'if that got loose it could kill chickens!' I see you're putting the LS holes to good use. Is this in the mancave now?

Oh no!! that's not the system rack in the MBR (Wall of Boudoir). That system rack with the LaScalas, the really nice Klipschorns and the walnut Forte's is still in that room. This system is the man cave's true Wall of Voodoo. When I turn it loose, it'll sure scare them chickens!!! LOL

Back to the original question. It may not be what you have in mind, but I've interconnected two complete systems (each with own receiver and speaker sets) by using RG6 cable terminated with RCA ends. I hook up a aux or tape out to an aux in and vice versa. That way any source on any system can be played by the other system.

For instance. While watching a DVD in the hearth room, I can patch it to the second system and have the audio playing in the office/kitchen areas. Or I can take the iMac jukebox from the office and hear it not only in the office/kitchen/patio but patch it through to the main Hearth system (the BIG system) for whole house tunes.

Only I've got to get busy cutting holes in the walls and actually hooking the durn thing up. Ran the wires prior to insulating the attic though...