Some Advice Please....

vernod

Hi,

Don't know much about music systems. Somebody is offering to install a Klipsch RF-52 with a Yamaha RX-V740 Amp for my living room. But they say I also need a subwoofer. But it seems like the Klipsch RF-52 already has 2 woofers in each speaker? So my questions are:

1. Do I really need the subwoofer?

2. Is the Yamaha amp a good one? If not, any good alternatives in the same price range?

3. How do the RF-52 compare with the Bose AM5 speakers? (He did offer Klipsch RF-35, but that is out of my budget)....

Thanks,

Thom

1) No, you don't need one. But, if you like listening to music and watching movies, you'll probably want one. The woofers used in a speaker are usually much smaller and cannot play as deeply as woofers used in subwoofers. There are very, very few speakers that wouldn't benefit from a subwoofer. There are other benefits of using a self-powered subwoofer, including less stress on the receiver because it doesn't have to amplify the lowest of bass information.

2) Yamaha generally matches up well with Klipsch. Some other brands that many on here use are Harman/Kardon, Denon and Onkyo.

3) No comparison. Well, I shouldn't say that. They both reproduce sound. That's about the only thing that they share. Klipsch speakers are much more dynamic, much more detailed than almost any other speaker in the same price range. They are also much more efficient and play much louder than other speakers given the same amount of wattage that an amplifier is putting out. Its too bad that you can't perform an A/B test between Bose and Klipsch. You would be shocked at the difference.

• Moderators

What he said, especially this part.

" 3) No comparison. Well, I shouldn't say that. They both reproduce sound. That's about the only thing that they share. Klipsch speakers are much more dynamic, much more detailed than almost any other speaker in the same price range. They are also much more efficient and play much louder than other speakers given the same amount of wattage that an amplifier is putting out. Its too bad that you can't perform an A/B test between Bose and Klipsch. You would be shocked at the difference."

Also welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your input - greatly appreciated!

I would like to go with the Klipsch RF-52, but the price is nearly double of the AM5. I am not in the US (Klipsch RF-52 price is the equivalent of $700 and the AM5 is $415).

I only plan to use this system for music (i.e. no TV) when I am just relaxing, or people are over, etc.

Thx!

• Moderators

There is a really big difference in the sound of the two you are comparing. If you want to get closer to the AM5 price check out something smaller than the RF-52 it will still sound better than the AM-5!

If you could hear them side by side you would be sold, not even close.

The price difference is worth it!! The clarity and dynamics of the RF-52's are something you will appreciate and others will as well when listening to music. The sound will be cleaner with the Klipsch as you will not have to turn up the 52's as much as the "other" speaker which in turn sounds better. And if, you ever were to think about upgrading, you have a really nice start by having the RF-52's.

I was skeptical about subwoofers for a long time, but having had a Rythmik in my HT system for a few months I am a convert. A benefit not often discussed is that with a sub, you can set the front (main) speakers to small, and let the sub do the work below the crossover frequency. This reduces the overall distortion of the mains. In my case, it solved two minor problems. The Cornwalls don't distort that much to begin with, but the Rythmik takes the load off of them below 60 Hz. The Corns do have a bump around 80 Hz that I found annoying, but setting them to small and letting the Rythmik take over below 60 Hz solved that.

Somebody is offering to install a Klipsch RF-52 with a Yamaha RX-V740 Amp for my living room. But they say I also need a subwoofer. But it seems like the Klipsch RF-52 already has 2 woofers in each speaker? So my questions are:

1. Do I really need the subwoofer?

2. Is the Yamaha amp a good one? If not, any good alternatives in the same price range?

Is this somebody a dealer? I don't know what part of the world you're in, but in North America the RX-V740 is a receiver that was sold in 2004 and is no longer available, since several newer models have superseded it. My RX-V750 is a 2005 model.

The Yamaha receiver should work fine in your system. Many forum members use Yamaha electronics to drive their Klipsch speakers.

As for the subwoofer, it operates in the bass range below what normal speakers can easily reproduce and will let you hear the sounds of bass instruments more realistically than your main speakers can. Almost all speakers, even very expensive ones, can benefit from the assistance of a subwoofer.