crossover points ?

REN

why would it depend on the cabinet?

Sound's strange, doesn't it?

If I remember correctly, the cabinet's rolloff is used in conjunction with the inductor on the woofer. So, the exact same crossover is used for a K Horns and Belle and LaScala but the K Horn is at 400 and the other two are at something like 600. One of the crossover guys here can elaborate more.

At least regarding the original Heritage:

All the tweeters have have a high pass filter at 6000 Hz.

The major issue is the midrange. The K-Horn and LS mid- horns (K-400 or K-401) work down to 400 Hz and that is where their high pass filter turns on.

The Belle had a K-500, the Cornwall a K-600, and the Heresy a K-700. The filters work according to those numbers.

Generally the woofer low pass filters match the same numbers. Whether the woofer bass boxes do/can work higher or lower is another issue.

Wm Gil McD

the A or AA would have never been used in any cabinet other than Khorn or LS, therefore it is always 400 Hz.

The other cabinets/horns mentioned used crossovers configured for their particular mix of components, principally the mid horn, but also the balance between the drivers due to cabinet efficiency.

the A or AA would have never been used in any cabinet other than Khorn or LS, therefore it is always 400 Hz.

The other cabinets/horns mentioned used crossovers configured for their particular mix of components, principally the mid horn, but also the balance between the drivers due to cabinet efficiency.

Michael,

You can also add the Belle to that list. It used the AA along with the Khorn and LaScala.

Bob

Oh how you guys doubt me. Come on, I got my information here, so it must be true[Y]

I actually found out about this when I was building a set of A's for Belles and it occurred to me that it was the same crossover as the K-Horn, which has a lower crossover point than the LaScala and Belle. I think that Dean explained it, Maybe Al, I don't remember.

ok thanks for the info i was going to build some cornscalas and i was going to use the A crossover or maybe the alk maybe ill post some pics if i get a camera but i stll havent got the woffers from bob yet or the woodConfused

For the Cornscalas, you need the Type B crossover with perhaps some tweaks in it depending on which midrange horn and tweeters you use. The A or the ALK Universal would be all wrong. Those would not balance the driver sensitivities right.

Bob

i have the k55v and the ct125 so i should use a tyep b then with 7uf insted of a 4uf on the mid?

That depends on how low the midrange horn you are using can go. The K-55 can be used down to 400 hz on the right horn. I am not aware of a horn now available that fits in a Cornwall size cabinet and goes down to 400. I know of a couple that will make it down to 500 hz all right.

Now if you are building this with the midrange horn outside the bass cabinet, you could use the K-400 or K-401 and cross at 400 hz. with a 7 uF cap.

Bob Crites

i have the k55v and the ct125 so i should use a tyep b then with 7uf insted of a 4uf on the mid?

That depends on how low the midrange horn you are using can go. The K-55 can be used down to 400 hz on the right horn. I am not aware of a horn now available that fits in a Cornwall size cabinet and goes down to 400. I know of a couple that will make it down to 500 hz all right.

Now if you are building this with the midrange horn outside the bass cabinet, you could use the K-400 or K-401 and cross at 400 hz. with a 7 uF cap.

Bob Crites

I am useing a selenium horn that gos down to 400hz and i am building the horns out side of the bass bin my bass bin is going to be the volume of the cornwall 3 witch is 6.607 ft3

Bob, That's a 1st order high pass and bandpass, why the 2nd order on the low pass?

Good question. Really, I could go either way on that one. Right now, I am not using the woofer roll off caps in mine. I think trying both ways would be the best course.

Bob