***New Find***A couple for Dave Mallete

fenderbender

Well I was cruising a thrift today and they had taken in a lot o really mint and like new Classical/opera and I remembered you disscusing E Power Biggs........

well All I can say is thank you THANK YOU!!! I was never familiar with his work but have always loved any kind of organ music...mostly exposed to jazz organ as my father played.....

Here are the two that I picked up in Minty condition

Below

post-30274-13819417716018_thumb.jpg

I find that it's best for me to keep my mouth closed and my mind open .....you learn so much that way.....Here is an example of finding a musician who has greatly enriched my life....a few minutes at a time....

thanks Dave for sharing!!!! [Y][Y][Y][Y]

ohhhh and the organ sounds amazing on Klipschorns...My dogs ran for cover!!!!

I DO so hope the French Organ Music is in good shape. There's REAL 32hz bass on the best copies of that disc! I first heard it in the record library at my old college as a freshman (by mid-semester I was working there and did so for my entire college days). A sophomore I'd not yet met (who became a good friend and frat brother) looked at it and said "Ah, a lover of French organ music...we will be friends!"

That was my first exposure to both French organ music and E. Power. I now have at least 5 copies of that disc. They vary in both pressing quality and condition as well. I STILL get a thrill from it, though I think Virgil gives him a run on the Widor Toccata.

The Freiburg disc threw me for a moment. That's a broadcast copy, and the cover is different from the release disc. I have about 3 of those, one in SQ quad. Great stuff too!

Enjoy. Once the pipe organ gets a hold of you almost nothing else satisfies quite so much. Sure, there are variances of pianos, violins, or electric guitars, but each and every pipe organ has only keys and air in common. Every tonal design is unique and every acoustic space as well. What a feast for the lover of great sound!

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm, and I hope you find a lifetime of new delights from the King of Instruments. Hie thee to ye old house of worship or hall of music and experience the real thing!

Dave

A festival of French Organ Music is stamped Broadcast Copy WQRS Detroit on the back, and it is in very nice shape......no scratches, a few crispies but looks like a litle mold has accumulated ....I hate to clean them when there in such good shape, but I may have to....first I'll try a few minutes on each side out in the sun and into a antistatic sleeve....Most will just blow off then....

This release says "Playing the spectacular organ At st Georges In NYC"......I remember going there on a field trip in 10th grade as my english teacher was an Organist there....But Being young and stupid it was lost on us.....Pity....

anyway I'm enjoying it immensely now.......along with the 30 other asst lps I just picked up......I got a test release disk (sunny side of life

)from the tommy dorsey Orch...with no makings on the lable except for the tracks ? May be worth something ?

I find that it's best for me to keep my mouth closed and my mind open .....you learn so much that way.....

Words to live by, those... I've repeated that sentiment to a few teenaged 2nd cousins and the like, and invariably they cut me off mid sentance and ask what I'm goin on about. [:#]

My dogs ran for cover!!!!

Mine will sit on their couches or beds in the theater UNITILL the projector is shut off and the 2 channel listening starts... Then they flee! (Great Dane and Husky mix.)

I find that it's best for me to keep my mouth closed and my mind open .....you learn so much that way.....

Words to live by, those... I've repeated that sentiment to a few teenaged 2nd cousins and the like, and invariably they cut me off mid sentance and ask what I'm goin on about. Zip it!

My dogs ran for cover!!!!

Mine will sit on their couches or beds in the theater UNITILL the projector is shut off and the 2 channel listening starts... Then they flee! (Great Dane and Husky mix.) 

Like my 19 year old daughter even hears a word I say

Fender: Try WQCS, FM 88.9 out of Ft. Pierce on Sunday mornings from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM. Nuttin' but organ music and brief discussions about the organs, the builders, etc. sponsored by OPOBA (the national organ builders association) if you can pull it in. You can also do it on line (wqcs.org) with a laptop and tap it out to an Aux input. Very soothing..... I make it there every Sunday morning with a pot of coffee or some tea and plan my day.

Fender: Try WQCS, FM 88.9 out of Ft. Pierce on Sunday mornings from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM. Nuttin' but organ music and brief discussions about the organs, the builders, etc. sponsored by OPOBA (the national organ builders association) if you can pull it in. You can also do it on line (wqcs.org) with a laptop and tap it out to an Aux input. Very soothing..... I make it there every Sunday morning with a pot of coffee or some tea and plan my day.

Don't forget "Pipedreams" and "With Heart and Voice" (choral, but usually with organ) as well! Great programs and also usually buried in the late PM or early AM.

Dave

I'd need a external antenna to pull in the ft.pierce station...but I will try it on the online stream......

Thanks guy's......

Listened to both Biggs lp's again last night and wow...I'm really digging it. I'm very drawn to organ music.....I also love any jazz played on the Hammond B3, think I have at least 1/2 of jimmy smith's catalogue ....but know I will try to collect more church organ.

Wait'll you hear a first class recording of a theatre organ!

Do you mean the theater organs that have drums, cymbals, bells, etc? Are these commercial recordings or yours?

The Paramount Theater in Baton Rouge had a theater organ that was restored with all of the bells and whistles, literally, and concerts were regularly scheduled and well attended. Guess what? They tore down the theater and turned the space into a parking lot! A sad day for sure. I think the organ wound up in Dallas, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up

Haydn, Concerto for Organ and Orch. in C Maj. Opus 18, No. 1

Daniel Chorzempa, Conducted by Helmut Winschermann

Very Very cool.....I think it was preformed in Eisenstadt Germany....no jacket, jut 2 lp's laying in a pile (thnk god in good sleeves...mint condition...man the stuff people toss away!!!!!

I've got 6 or 8 theater organ recordings. Leonard Leigh's The Mighty Wurlitzer and the Roaring Hi-Fi Twenties on RCA LSP-1665 is great fun.

For obscurity it's hard to beat Marvelous Music Machines of Virginia and Nevada Cities, Montana: The Bovey Restoration Presents-Organs and Orchestrations From Historic Virginia City and Nevada City Montana, USA. The title alone will wear youout. Complete with a great historical sketch of the woe and intrigue to befall this area when in the throes of a feverish gold rush. Featured from the Bale of Hay Saloon are a Seeburg Model G, Coinola Reproducing Pipe Organ, Empress Electric Drum Piano, Cremona J Orchestral, Seeburg Model J and a Mighty Wurlitzer Theater Organ plus other organs and instruments. Whew.

Don Richard, I didn't know of the Paramount here, though it's part of Baton Rouge lore. Now that I know of your Red Stick connection, I imagine you are "Ree-shard" rather than the common "Rich-ard"

WOW!

I just spun some of the RCA disc and it is fantabulous, both in performance and sound, though it lacks any real sense of space, a-la-Mallette. But that's stanard for RCA's style of the era. I love the 20's program too. The disc is utterly pristine. What a pleasure.

ALL RIGHT, now you've done it!

I just pulled out Virgil Fox Plays The Philharmonic Organ at Lincoln Center.

It's one of those lavish Command Classics Stereo 35mm affairs. It is said to be the first solo recording of this organ, January 1963. The program includes Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor (I think that's the one commonly called 'The Great"), Messiaen's Dieu Parmi Nous and Franck's Grande Piece Symphonique. It's in the listening queue. I'll report back.