Deciding on new monoblocks (SET? VRDS?)

doctorcilantro

I've ditched my recent post about a new preamp, deciding that I don't need one.

I'm going to run from my Lavry DA-10. It has a volume range of 0-56 (1db per step, with the volume control of the DA10 set to 28
with a balanced input or 34 with an unbalanced input, the level is very
close to 0.5Vrms.

I'm currently using RF-7s but someday dream of the LaScala II.

I have been looking around and reading a bit on the SET stuff. The VRDs also might fit the bill.

I'm looking at a 2K MAX budget.

My sunfire pre would put out 323mv at 3 o'clock and that was very loud for the RF-7s via Mini-Mites.

I tested a -20 0dbfs sine wave with a voltmeter and saw about 600mv, pink noise (also referenced to the Replay Gain standard ...83db?) was about 300mv average.

Obviously I want to find a pair of monoblocks that are:

1. Compatible with volume range on DA-10

2. Not noisy for 98-105db sensitive speakers

3. Possibly with balanced inputs (depending on other factors i.e. input sensitvity etc.)

Probably leaving some factors out. I was eyeing the Bel Canto 40, Sixpacs which I found for maybe 2K, Cyber 211 some other stuff on Agon, and Craigs VRDs which are similar to the Mini-Mites with regard to input sensitivity; these could be a real possability.

DC

Have checked out the VTA 120 by Bob Latino? I have one of these now. I used to have VRDs. Very similar sound at less than half the price. Same power levels. Excellent in all regards. Hint......let Bob wire and test it for you.......and get the power supply and auricap upgrades. It is inexpensive and ends up looking like a work of art.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

Scroll way down to the VTA-120..

Mark, I'll take you at your word when you say that to your ears, Latino's amp sounds similar to VRDs. Latino could probably benefit from further differentiating the VTA-120 from his other modded ST-70s on his website (other than more power). Because I've owned several incarnations of modded ST-70s, Mark IIIs and VRDs, and while Mark IIIs and VRDs are somewhat in the same ballpark sound-wise, both of those amps sound quite a bit different from modded ST-70s (especially in the bass dept.) - and on the website, the VTA-120 could give one the impression to simply be a further hot-rodded ST-70. Again, cannot comment on the VTA-120 because I have not heard it, but Latino would probably benefit from further distinguishing it from the ST-70 design.

I would personally opt for VRDs, but that's just one person's opinion.

Carl.

I need to figure out the difference between "triode" and "single ended triode".

I was reading a bit about how some SET designers don't like the 6922/E88CC hence the variations.

I just hooked up my Mini-Mites direct to my DAC. The 1v input sensitivty with 25w per channel is a really good match for my volume control.

I figure that a 16w SET amp with 600mv input would be similar range but I haven't done the math (cuz I can't yet).

I've read here before how you HAVE to use a beefy SS amp for RF-7s. They do have the 2ohm dip but I'm guessing 4ohm tap with something like the Cyber 211 (16w) would work.

DC

Having previously owned RF-7s, I agree that a beefy amp (SS or tube) is recommended for RF-7s.

Its up to you if you want to heed the hints. You can guess as to whether I would think that a 16 watt SET amp would do .......

In part, I guess it also depends on what type of music you will be playing and whether you really like to lean into it.....

Carl.

I do like to crank it now and then; I listen to jazz, blues, rock, classical, jamaican (i.e.ska, rock steady,reggae), soul, funk, etc. ...the gamut.

One thing I don't know is the for the rated input sensitivity, is that full power? So at 1v the Mites are doing 25w? I don't think I could ever get that loud with 98db/w RF7s and not blow my ears off. The Mites store 100 joules of energy and put out some serious juice for the RF-7s. Maybe VRDs ARE the way to go; I would run them in Triode I think. Has anyone compared the Sixpacs to the VRDs? I really like Craig; he's a stand up guy and knows his valves.

I also assume since Craig uses LaScalas that his amps mesh well with them or RF-7s. I have a dream....to someday own LaScala IIs : )

DC

The VTA-120's are basically a pair of Mark III's on one chasis.

There are a lot of amps out there for less than 2K. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other as to which one best suits your needs.The botique offerings (there are a few out there) are high in value when it comes to customer service.

Currently I'm auditioning 5 different tube amps and 2 different SS amps to get a better understanding as to the sound character i really prefer.

Some may agree with my choices, many will not.

Let your ears do the walking.

I have Carl's old set of DeanG modified RF-7s, and I like to lean into them a fashion. I have run them with VRDs, Citation Is, custom SET amps, a Wright 2A3 combo monobloc setup, and Bryston 3BST, Monarchy SM70s, a Sansui G9000DB, and a Carver 2000 receiver. I also make them pull combo duty with a Klipsch RSW-15 as a stereo HT setup, so I have had about three years of listening experience across a spectrum of music.

Carl really likes to get heavy on the volume knob, and there is little he does not like at 100 dB if he can't also hit 110 dB if the mood strikes. Even with a lighter touch, I have found Black Sabbath, the Who, Steel Pulse, and Bob Marley to want more than the 1, 4, and 6 wpc SET amps can readily deliver. The Monarchys at 35 wpc also clip at inopportune moments.

At 10 wpc rms, the RF-7s are hitting their stride, but transients are thrashing, close to making the VRDs and Citation clip. If I'm playing a Telarc with their dizzying transient attacks on some recordings, clipping is bound to happen if you push hard. The big question is how hard you want to push your amp(s), and knowing that you like reggae, how much you like quality bass response.

Yeh Carl and Dave can really crank on the volume control,,,, Ive got the large NET spread out to catch the flaming voicecoils,,,Like meteors blazing back to earth, here at the lake.

Master Yoda, Dave is the innocent party - it is I who subject him to the volume madness....[*-)]

You know you keep talking about flaming coils, but I haven't fried one yet!!!![;)]

Carl.

P.S. I've ordered the PS and NOW I'm done......should be here middle of next week

Ive actually seen a speaker go up in flames,,, really stunk up the place,,,,

A friend of mine had some Altec 604s go up in flames while doing a mix at a studio...Memphis was rockin'!

Makes me feel older, because it was a long time ago, and we're the same age.[:|]

Bruce