ATTN: Fenderbender, Don Richard: Theatre Organ Download

Mallette

Theatre Organ

The Theatre organ is the opposite end of the organ spectrum from the great European tracker tradition of a couple of inches of water pressure. These monsters often use 100 inches, and get LOUD! Further, they got SCHMALTZ, and lots of it. I have unfortunately forgotten the specifics on this one, but I believe it was in the Pacific Northwest and is now gone. It's a beaut, with snare drum, tinklely bells, slide whistle and many other stops that would make E. Power rise from his grave! Great fun. Further, these files were the first mp3's I'd ever heard that were tolerable. On playback MC12 is showing 1411kpbs, so they are only lightly compressed.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I may record my "Great Belgian Band Organ" LP and upload it if this intrigues you. It is a trully great recording of a very rare beast, an automaton from the 1880's with 400 pipes, a plethora of percussion and other effects that cost 14,000.00 when built for a Detroit beer hall.

Dave

You can really hear the novelty in track 7 (sounds like "Under the Sea" from Disney's Little Mermaid.

How the H-E-double-hockysticks does an organ make steel drum sounds? (Is there actually steel drums, xyllophones, etc hooked up to this thing?)

Yep. They did really extraordinary things with these machines.
Bear in mind they had to carry the sound for silent film. Marching
troops, thunder, parties, circus, whatever. He who could build the
biggest pallete got the contract.

Dave

Cool, and as I said you have experienced the extremes between Biggs at a classic tracker and that Theatre Organ recording. There is a vast array of textures, tones, performances, acoustics, composition, etc. etc. It is infinite. That's why I am such an organ freak. Something new every day and no end in sight. Fox and Biggs are a great place to start. They were polar opposites in a way, and yet not really all that far apart when you look at the organ universe as a whole.

Welcome to the OTHER madness!

Dave

I have unfortunately forgotten the specifics on this one, but I believe it was in the Pacific Northwest and is now gone.

I think this is Jonas Nordwall at the Organ Grinder restaurant in Portland.

More information here: http://www.sonicstudios.com/theatre.htm

Good stuff. After all, what other musical instrument can be measured in horsepower?

- Bill

I have unfortunately forgotten the specifics on this one, but I believe it was in the Pacific Northwest and is now gone.

I think this is Jonas Nordwall at the Organ Grinder restaurant in Portland.

More information here: http://www.sonicstudios.com/theatre.htm

Good stuff. After all, what other musical instrument can be measured in horsepower?

- Bill

I believe you are correct, sir. I did not follow the link, but that jives with my recollection.

Dave

I downloaded (4) 24/96 FLAC albums from HDtracks last night. One of which was the Crown Imperial.

"From the shriek of piccolo to the thunder of the organ's awesome 32
foot-pedal stops, this will give the best stereo system a workout. .
.hold on to your subwoofer and when organist Mary Preston cuts loose,
don't be surprised if neighbors complain about their furniture sliding
across the floor."
- Scott Cantrell, The Dallas Morning New"

http://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=9624albums

No amps until later this week so I haven't heard yet.

DC

• 2 months later...

How'd I miss this thread?[^o)]

Hey wwh, there was an Organ Grinder pizza parlor in Denver back in the early '80s...it had a Paramount-style WurliTzer that was highly modified and added to behind glass expression shades...just wonder if it's still in town. I was stationed at Lowry AFB back then, so I can't recall its location.

Theatre pipe organs are fun to play...they're today's digital synths in old analog form (with loads of mechanical effects; it's amazing what Robert Hope-Jones and Rudolph Wurlitzer conjured up in their heads). I've been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity several times in my life...here I am in '79 at age 16 playing a WurliTzer that was installed in a home in CT (it now resides fully restored in my dad's friend's 19th century farm house near Tolland, CT).

post-11084-13819436185938_thumb.jpg