Help,I May Need A New Crossover and Cabinet Reglue For A Heresy II, 1986

nola

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next step is to wipe down the final sanded cabinets with mineral spirits. Since I will use an oil based sealer (or laquer primer), I take a paper towel and fold it into a small square. Liberally soak the "pad" with mineral spirits and wipe each panel off. You will pick up the sanding residue. In addition, the mineral spirits initially soak into the wood and "pop" the grain (expands the wood fibers). This allows the sealer, primer, etc to penetrate. Use a clean side of your pad for each panel.

Let dry for at least 2-3 hours....

Here’s what one of the H-I’s looks like with the sealer. The sealer is an extremely light oil based product that does not quite completely seal the pores of the wood, but binds to the cellulose strands in the wood. This inhibits and slows down the wood from absorbing too much veneer glue (or stain, etc.). It also prevents "splotching", or uneven absorption of stains when you are doing the final finishing. This will be very important on Carl's H-II's when the oak veneer arrives.

In Car'ls case, I will be using an oak veneer. Oak is a "ring porous" wood and has a comparatively rough surface. When applying a stain without a sealer, it can make for heavy "grain contrast". Dependent upon what the owner wants, if I apply a sealer, it makes it more even and without a large contrast in the grains. In the case of the H-I's, they will be done with manhogany. That is a diffuse porous wood, and sealer is not actually necessary unless the effect you want is a very even coloring in any applied stain.

This is probably what the H-I's looked like with their original oiled finish. Must have been spectacular!!

Here’s the raw birch H-II’s. They were quite pretty. Shame about what was done to them. You can still see where the pigment particles from the "paint job" soaked into the grain of the wood. They cannot really be further removed without simply grinding through the veneer. Not an issue because they will be red oak in about a week.....[H]

Wow Marshall!! In my wildest dreams I could never had made those cabinets come out like that. They're definitely in the right hands. Absolutely beautiful work. It reminds me of a fine paint job on a car. The outcome is determined by what's done BEFORE the paint's applied. Crappy prep, crappy finish. Painstaking prep, beautiful finish.

Back from the drill. Yesterday was weapons quals (CQB course with M4's) and weps cleaning and facility cleanup lasted until after 5:00 PM.

I am re-organizing the last photos I took on Thursday and Friday, and will take a bunch more this afternoon and tomorrow. What I want to do is show everyone the application differences of four different types of veneer glues (heatlock, contact cement, PSA, and a special water based contact cement called Flex-Pro). The H-II's red oak veneer and a new jug of Flex-Pro for the H-II's won't be here until later this week.

I'll have the first three types of glue on the Heresy-I's by this afternoon, do the edgebanding methods tomorrow, and wrap up the H-I's with application of a brushed satin black lacquer finish on the rear panels and sprayed black lacquer for the primary finish.

Carl's H-II's will be stained with a Minwax #210B Golden Oak and final finished with a "danish" oil.

NOLA: Sure sounds like caps or diaphragms. Maybe pull the offending midrange and tweeter, test them with a multimeter, and look at the diaphragms for discoloration.

I just posted on comparing speakers and amps. Turns out the hard luck HII has treble issues. Snares, etc
from Krall DVD are muted. Maybe time for new caps, etc afterall.

Hard to say what the issue could be...it could be a combination of issues. Over the weekend I hooked up some recently purchaed LaScala's. I was not impressed with the sound at all, they did not sound anything close to my other set of LaScala's.

I replaced the mid driver in one speaker (speaker A).....wasn't wow'ed yet. Changes so far: mid driver change,

I replaced the tweeter in speaker A...wasn't wow'ed yet. Changes so far: mid driver change, tweeter change ,

I replaced the crossover in speaker A ....I was wow'ed by the change. Changes so far: mid driver change, tweeter change , crossover change.

I went back to the other speaker (speaker B) and disconnected all the wires on the crossover and then reconnected them.....I was wow'ed by the change. Changes so far: nonthing...just reseated all the connections.

I went back to speaker A, and put everything back they way it was....effectively just reseating all the connections...and was wow'ed by the change.

Thanks for the advice. Who did your x overs, or just new caps / which ones?

Maybe, it is the diaphrams, not the drivers?

Getting clobbered with projects, etc now. So I will likely address

these issues in a few weeks. This past weekend was the last of my "goof off" time

for a while.

The cabinet refinishing was awesome :):)

Generally, I have Bob Crites do crossovers as my soldering skills are not the best.... I've done a couple crossovers myself with Bob's kits, and they came out fine, but they were very simple (Cornwall B's). My skills are pretty much limited to crossovers that are mounted on plywood boards.... I won't try a printed circuit board type (H-II's)....

Bob uses Sonicaps. Others will suggest other types. They can range in price.... Alot....

I'd redo the crossovers, or send them to Bob and then sit back and listen to what you hear for a while. Caps can be a major factor in straightening up the sound. The other factor can be the connector clips in the H-II's. You will need to make sure that the spades and the female clips on the leads from the crossover are clean and on tight. That alone can cause problems that would make you think there's something wrong with the drivers.

Another thing that I have seen (more often lately...) with used Heresy's is that previous owners have removed the drivers for whatever reason and when hooking them back up got the wires crossed and put them out of phase. Terrible sound results.....