Carpet Cleaning

darkside

I just picked up a pair of some pretty old PA speakers (25 years or so) as a project and they're carpeted. And they smell bad. I've vacuumed them off and all, but they have that old speaker smell (actually kind of smells like cat pee) and I really want them cleaned but I don't know how to go about it. I have no idea if the carpet is latex backed or not or what have you, and my main concern would be damaging them if I tried washing them. Recarpeting isn't an option either. It's glued on pretty well, I would guess with contact cement, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks guys. Will have to try that. Never even thought about febreeze...but yeah. And haha at ya colter. It's not like it's really noticeable from across the room, but when I'm trying to carry them (being 17, I definitely consider myself too macho for a handtruck [:P] LOL!) it gets right in your face. So come this weekend, Ima gonna try that. If I'm honest, they're old Cerwin Vegas (which never seem to be looked highly upon anywhere), but I bought them as project speakers, so it'll be good fun modding them (new crossovers, definitely new tweeters as time/money comes around, etc. etc.) and so now I'm just trying to clean them up... Thanks once again!

• 7 years later...

I just picked up a pair of some pretty old PA speakers (25 years or so) as a project and they're Carpet Cleaning Port Coquitlam. And they smell bad. I've vacuumed them off and all, but they have that old speaker smell (actually kind of smells like cat pee) and I really want them cleaned but I don't know how to go about it. I have no idea if the carpet is latex backed or not or what have you, and my main concern would be damaging them if I tried washing them. Recarpeting isn't an option either. It's glued on pretty well, I would guess with contact cement, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You can clean it by yourelf by using Vinegar and Baking Soda after the stain has been removed and it can applicable to any kind of carpet. To make it smell fresh you can use a shampoo a very cheap formula to smell it fresh.

• Like 1

At least on floor carpet, I've found the foam type or dry type cleaners to be largely ineffective.  There is a ad for carpet cleaning machine which pose the rhetorical question, "You wouldn't clean your clothes with foam, would you.?   OTOH the type which spray on a detergent solution and suction it off work very well, particularly if there is a brushing action involved.  The amount of dirt which comes out of the carpet is astounding.

I would suggest a "Little Green Clean Machine" type of cleaning machine.  I believe hardware stores and HD rent a machine with a hand wand which will work as well.  They sell some detergent to use which is supposed to be effective to remove animal urine.  I'd suggest using a scrub brush in addition.

I note your concerned the washing solution will affect the underlying wood.  I think it will not hurt it too much.  The glue should be an effective barrier.  The situation seems to be that you're worried about wood you will never be able to get to, anyway.

WMcD

Wow...where did that 8 year old thread come from :wacko:

Another good title for a new thread.....Cat Pee, Carpet, and Speakers.

lol ol boy Jarvis got on here for his first and only post to give some cleaning advice to a kid who was asking about it 8 years ago lol.
  • Like 1