What To Look For in an Amp.......

SWL

Specifically......for RF-7's.

What to consider, when speakers like the RF-7's have low impedance dips. Is it current, voltage, wattage, damping factor or what that I'm looking for in the amps specs that will drive the 7's effectively? [:S]

Thanks,

Scott.

Lotsa watts and the ability to drive low-impedance loads. Most better-quality amps will indicate what range of speaker impedances they can work with.

The Yamaha MX-D1 amps, for example, can drive any speaker from 2-8 ohms. I assume they'd also drive 16 ohm speakers without difficulty. Some of the Crown pro amps can drive a dead short, or 0 ohms, if I understand it correctly.

Beyond that, low distortion, high signal-to-noise ratio and high channel separation figures are good things to look for. Usually, more money buys better numbers and hopefully better sound.

Just guessing really, but whatever other characteristics (power, other specs) it should play your speakers clean and clear as loud as you would ever care to hear them when the volume is halfway up. I think there are some technical reasons why the halfway point is the maximum desired reference but I'm not qualified to explain it.

I've got a Crown K2 you can try for a while if you want...

Only issue is you'd probably need to get a RCA/XLR converter plug for it.

Serious offer. This way you'd know, for simply the price of shipping. In fact, it's already boxed up from its return trip from Mark (1101) when he borrowed it while I was out of the country for several weeks. I could ship it out in a day.

[G]

I've got a Crown K2 you can try for a while if you want...

That is very kind of you Coytee. I think what I'm looking towards is moving on from pro-amps (I have six XTI-2000's).......and looking for a quality ss or tube amp. I know the K-2 blows the XTI's away......but like I said....time to move on. [:D]

The VRD's that I heard with RF-7's at a fellow forum members house sounded very nice. [:D]