What happend to Computer Speakers

WimpMiester

Just went to the product page for computer speakers and I was shocked to see only 2.1 systems, what happened? Klipsch made the best surround speakers for computers hands down. I'm still using my GMX 5.1's and Pro Media 4.1's with DD-5.1 unit. Was thinking of getting some for someone else, it's sad to see the best disappear.

• Moderators

Don't be disheartened.--we are re-evaluating this market. A lot has changed in the competitive landscape since we came out with the v.2-400 almost 9 years ago, and we must to evolve with it to be successful.

Stay tuned! [:)]

• 3 weeks later...

having the pro media 5.1 burn out then klipsch replaced those for me with the 5.1 ultras and had those burn out 3x now(currently waiting on return now,whaT a joke).klipsch is NOT in the makes or making anymore computer speakers because there "pro media 5.1 amp and ultra" series have been returned to many times over from customers because of "bad amp" design were there taking there loses and not making anymore period.there is no NEW series coming out period.they bombed,failed and thats it period.and before anyone dares to bash me.i had my pro media(once) and ultra amp go back now 3x and been MANY months without music based on these FACTS....sad part is they sound Amazing WHEN THERE GOOD...but simply die and kipsch have go to be paying threw the nose and all the multiple returns they must honor and fix....u think there gonna try that again?lol...get a new third party amp company guys if your gonna because the pro medias and ultra amps are complete crap and the ppl in returns admitted this today(no names mentioned) ..."there is no new 5.1 computer speakers klipsch is coming out with period."............wonder why

• Moderators

I'm sorry, I don't know where you've gotten your information, but it is not accurate.

The market for computer systems has changed drastically in the last 10 years, and we need to figure out in what capacity we are able to compete. The door has not been closed.

I tell you what I would like to see, a quality 7.1 system! that acompanied with a nice 7.1 sound card! YEEE HAW!!!!! Everyone seems to be making these 5.1 systems, but almost everyone has a 7.1 sound card. no granted, not everyone has room for a 7.1 speaker system, and running all the wires would be a pain, but I know that it is something that I would like. And would be Especially cool for gaming you can hear if something is next to you, behind you, to the back left, whatever!! AWESOME!!!! sorry, I got excited, Come On Amy, I dare you guys to do a 7.1, Hell, I triple Dog Dare You!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully Vista or the makers of your sound card will come up with a better driver or firmware or something that will work with Vista, I am still working with XP Professional myself, I think even when I buy a new computer that will un doubtably come with Vista I will probably load my good ole XP instead. I spend alot of time doing music editing and mixing etc. and Vista seems to use too much memory and resources, which is the main reason I prefer XP. Hell, I would go back to windows 98 and stay there if I could, but as running systems improve, so does all the software meaning nobody makes software that can be run with windows 98 and other older running systems, it's kind of depressing, lol. Wow, I rambled.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've been wanting to buy some Pro-Medias for years now. It's too bad the company seems to be having troubles now. I guess I will have to find a 5.1 solution somewhere else.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the company is having troubles, but our participation in this particular niche market is being re-evaluated.

But yes, if you need 5.1 speakers specifically designed for use with a soundcard, we do not have anything for you at this time.

this is true, but if you you have an analog surround sound card with 1/8" outputs like most soundcards have, then you don't have to use a 4.1 system, you can use (2) 2.1 systems and in fact have better sound in my opinion than a 4.1 or v.2-400 system and it will still work as surround sound due to the sound card )one set plugged in to the front, and one set plugged in through the rear inputs). I know what I am about to say is not the best for a klipsch forum but I use my Klipsch speakers at the same time I use my Bose Companion 3 speakers, and listening to both sets of speakers at the same time is a very beautiful thing, but don't worry klipsch, best bang for the buck still goes to you. But I do love my Bose as well. Klipsch + Bose = Untouchable sound!

I think it'd be real nice to see a USB solution that didn't even require a soundcard - there's plenty of USB audio chipsets out there and USB2.0 is capable of handling 7.1.

Wireless surrounds would be a real nice touch too as that is usually the most obnoxious thing to wire up...not to mention Klipsch already has wireless audio in their bag of tricks (those roomgrooves are super cool). Might as well just make it wireless all around and use the same satellites everywhere.

I think it'd be real nice to see a USB solution that didn't even require a soundcard - there's plenty of USB audio chipsets out there and USB2.0 is capable of handling 7.1.

Wireless surrounds would be a real nice touch too as that is usually the most obnoxious thing to wire up...not to mention Klipsch already has wireless audio in their bag of tricks (those roomgrooves are super cool). Might as well just make it wireless all around and use the same satellites everywhere.

although the wireless feature is tempting but there are a few concerns.

- Each sattelites will need to be powered. Powered via battery is not an option, I don't see myself chaging battery in these speakers every week or months. If via a power source, then one will need a power source close to each speaker.

- Will probably have an adverse effect on sound quality.

In 2003 I bought ProMedia GMX D-5.1 and I loved them! They were incredibly stylish and they impressed the chicks! Although I didn't like the saucer design it did have a audio optic input. in 2005 I I had to deploy to Iraq for 7 months and my I let my roommate borrow them. By borrow I mean he took them and never gave them back. When I left the military I bought a ProMedia Ultra 5.1 system but it doesn't have any optical inputs also the sats aren't nearly as stylish.

Back then this forum had alot of mouth breathers insisting their ProMedia made an "RIDICULOUS BUZZING NOISE!... UNACCEPTABLE!" They would then make personal attacks on the forum moderator, calling her bias and accusing her of covering everything up from deleted post and the buzzing noise to the JFK assassination and her personal responsiblity in the creation of Croc shoes. I do have to say she is alot prettier than I assumed.

Remeber USB 3.0 is on the horizon