Blue Ray Ouestion

modoc48

Yes you will see a very nice improvement with your 1080i display. You will be able to take advantage of your displays full resolution which is a considerable jump up from std DVD.

Blu-ray is worth the upgrade for 720p, 768p, 1080i and 1080p displays.

Also not only is the picture an excellent upgrade on all of these displays the sound quality is also a great upgrade as well.

Yes you will see a very nice improvement with your 1080i display. You will be able to take advantage of your displays full resolution which is a considerable jump up from std DVD.

Also not only is the picture an excellent upgrade on all of these displays the sound quality is also a great upgrade as well.

What kind of oranges are you guys smokin out there?

He says he has a max resolution of 1080i. BlueRay is 1080p, much higher resolution. Tell me, how are we going to see 1080p on a set that is only capable of 1080i?

Almost any cheapo DVD player out there can up convert a standard NTSC signal to 1080i. BlueRay is in a different league. Progressive scan is very different than interlaced, and at this resolution is a big difference.

And better sound? Yes, IF you have everything else that is current and compatible. Just a few years nowadays and you're "disconnected", at least as far as using the latest and greatest goes.

Thank you one and all for your input. I currently have a oppo 981 and soon getting a Integra DTR 7.9. Right now i am going right into a oppo 3 in 1 out splitter with my dish old voom recevier for over air and the dvd player the picture is pretty nice but i always think i can do better.

I think it's a noticeable improvement even if you don't have a 1080p display you'll still recieve the benefits of blu ray vs an upconverted dvd . Do an A B comparison on a standard dvd with upconvert then a blu ray in your displays native resolution and you will see major improvements in detail, depth, color and contrast. As far as audio goes it is one of the most complimentary aspects of blu ray if you ask me. Dolby True HD, Uncompressed LPCM and DTS MA are so much more detailed, much fuller and rich than their lossy counter parts. I think other will ring in that you don't need a 1080p display to recieve the benefits of blu ray....just my 2 cents

He says he has a max resolution of 1080i. BlueRay is 1080p, much higher resolution. Tell me, how are we going to see 1080p on a set that is only capable of 1080i?

Almost any cheapo DVD player out there can up convert a standard NTSC signal to 1080i. BlueRay is in a different league. Progressive scan is very different than interlaced, and at this resolution is a big difference.

And better sound? Yes, IF you have everything else that is current and compatible. Just a few years nowadays and you're "disconnected", at least as far as using the latest and greatest goes.

A blu-ray player will provide a much better picture and sound than a std DVD or an up scaling DVD player. The better picture will be obvious on any HD display. You definitely do not need only1080p to gain from the improvements. While a 1080p display will take full advantage of the blu-rays1080p potential, the blu-ray will provide his display a full 1080i resolution not std DVD 480 or std 480 upscaled to 1080i.

Unless there's a HDMI input on the TV I don't think BD is an option due to HDCP.............

You can use a DVI to HDMI adapter cable if the TV has DVI inputs.

You can also use component cable but this is not as good of an option for connecting a blu-ray player. No blu-ray can up convert std DVD's using component cable connections.

modoc48: The answer is; so long are your projector has component video inputs, yes, you will see a marked improvement over standard DVDs on your older projector. Sorry, I can't explain why it's better artto, but I have witnessed it with my own eyes. When viewing HDTV cable (which is mostly broadcast at 1080i) on my projector or my plasma, it looks very close to the Blu-Ray images. It is very difficult for many folks to tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i on screens under 60". My projector screen is 78".

I have a 1080p 50" plasma in our living room with a cheap Sony Blu-Ray hooked up to it with HDMI and naturally the picture is pretty much perfect. However, when connecting the same Blu-Ray up to my 4-year old Sharp 720p/1080i projector in the basement theater with component video, the image is nearly as awesome.Therefore, this week I placed an order for a Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player for the basement. -Glenn

My vote - upgrade to Blu-Ray. The line resolution on your Sony is still 1080, it's only the interlacing versus progressive scan that you're missing. The player will delace the signal to 1080i and the picture will be much better than all the upconversions from standard DVD resolution. Up-conversion = making up / filling in and/or repeating information. Boo-hiss.

We went the Sony PS3 route last year (at the time, the cheapest way to get a Blu-Ray player) and the picture quality is superb. The only danger - you'll be buying a full 1080p display shortly ; )