RSW15 versus Epik Conquest versus SVS PB ultra

askbob1

Roger,

Wouldn't that mean that the sub just has the capability of playing lower frequencies and not that it would be any "better" at movies vs music? Like I said, a good speaker is a good speaker, a bad speaker is a bad speaker. Some have more range than others making them better at reproducing the source material regardless of that material being a movie or music.

Roger,

Wouldn't that mean that the sub just has the capability of playing lower frequencies and not that it would be any "better" at movies vs music? Like I said, a good speaker is a good speaker, a bad speaker is a bad speaker. Some have more range than others making them better at reproducing the source material regardless of that material being a movie or music.

No,

A sub that can play lower than you can hear is a definate plus for movies, it is what shakes the couch, hits you in the chest, rattless windows, and nocks shit off of the walls. Just because that sub plays that low, doesn't mean it will sound best, or even good with music. There is a reason that some subs comand $3,000, $5,000, or more, they usually do both well. My Velodyne HGS-18IIs can play louder, lower, and more accurately than the RSW-15, but they were twice the price new. What is important is that for X ammount of dollars, you may be compromising, and which of the two is more important to you. $1500 is not a high level sub...

Roger

well, after getting a super nice black rsw-15 that is practically flawless, i'm not sure if i like it or not. i'm so used to the ported sound of subs i've always had. the passive radiator sounds a lot like a sealed sub, which basically it is. i'm going to try some different placements, but so far, i like the sound of the rw-12d i sold better!!? decisions, decisions...

I'm a bit surprised at this reaction. Is it with movies that you are unsatisfied with the RSW15? To what size do you set your RF-7s? If LARGE, then maybe it is the LFE-only performance with movies that you do not like.

what doeseveryone think about this posting? Would you use it in picking a sub?

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

craigsub put a lot of work and care into composing his "list". The HT score is based almost entirely upon measurements of the sub's 20Hz output and average output over the 20Hz to 63Hz range. The music score is completely subjective.

There are subs that were never included in his list and several new subs have become available recently that are also not on his list.

Roger,

No,

A sub that can play lower than you can hear is a definate plus for movies, it is what shakes the couch, hits you in the chest, rattless windows, and nocks *** off of the walls. Just because that sub plays that low, doesn't mean it will sound best, or even good with music. There is a reason that some subs comand $3,000, $5,000, or more, they usually do both well. My Velodyne HGS-18IIs can play louder, lower, and more accurately than the RSW-15, but they were twice the price new. What is important is that for X ammount of dollars, you may be compromising, and which of the two is more important to you. $1500 is not a high level sub...

Roger

by indepedent comparisons and others like craigsub list, $1500 can be considered a 'high level sub'. as with some other brands not to be mentioned(no, not klipsch!), you pay a lot for the namesake. that is why i specifically was asking a direct comparison of the rsw-15, ultra-13, and the epik. unless i had endless funds to purchase a 5k velodyne, i just can't see it. same with the jl even though they sound great. those to me are more of a 'trophy' sub with a known nameplate. so much bang for the buck and maybe a better sound quality altogether? it looks more and more like the svs can deliver all of the goods without comprimise. probably the same for much of the epik lineup, but they look a little less refined, but perform well. there is also a very long delay over at epik as in 5+ weeks to get what you want!

i am pleased with the movie performance of the rsw, but still a little jaded about its capability to really get with it on music. i found the best room placement and played around with the settings which helped some. i will give it more time to grow on me. now i'm thinking more of keeping it and adding the ultra-13 in the near future.

i am pleased with the movie performance of the rsw, but still a little jaded about its capability to really get with it on music.

Let me ask you.........does it seem like it is lacking "presence"?..........or that it isn't drawing attention to itself......or getting your attention for that matter?

i am pleased with the movie performance of the rsw, but still a little jaded about its capability to really get with it on music.

Let me ask you.........does it seem like it is lacking "presence"?..........or that it isn't drawing attention to itself......or getting your attention for that matter?

it is blending well. it just seems to lack some depth? i'll stop with the whining now and onto rockin' out...

Bob,you have gear/source/setup and or room issues.I been home cleanin' up for the Holiays and listening all day.I was just thinkin' about how kick arse the rsw15 is.I noticed today while cleaning windows the inside pane close to the corner where the 15 is was broken,as soon as I stuck my head down by it I knew why.At hardly cruisin' levels the thing was just pounding my head,of course the 15 easily fills my 500+ sqft room elevated ceiling with chest poundin' bass at about 1 oclock on the knob.

I used to have three subs in this room,an svs,sunfire and polk,after I got the 15 I sent the svs back and sold the others.

One last thing,$1500 is plenty to spend on a sub and will get your choice of great subs,unless A- you got piles of disposable income. 2-You have no other hobbies that require even more cash than this one.

Reviewers look at the highest 20-60Hz output,the RSW15 has great output 30Hz on up. The Conquest has great output even at 16hz. For the deep move ruble or pipe organ reproduction a subwoofer with serious output under 20hz make all the difference.

When you charge $1500 or close,people expect ouput in the 20hz range. Today with all the low cost high displacement drivers and transformerless amps there is little excuse to sell expensive subs not capable of serious 20Hz output...in the 1K and up price range.

Now, this, I absolutely do NOT understand. Most people feel the opposite. That is outstanding with music, but doesn't dip low enough for the movie performance that some of the large ported subs can offer. Personally, my RSW15 is the best music sub I have ever heard and I am perfectly fine with it for movies, too. I've never wished I had another.

it just seems to lack some depth? i'll stop with the whining now and onto rockin' out...

But if it lacks depth, how are you happy with it for movies? [*-)]

Reviewers look at the highest 20-60Hz output,the RSW15 has great output 30Hz on up. The Conquest has great output even at 16hz.

Noussaine's list is ranked based upon the sub's average clean output (<10% THD) at 25, 32, 40, 50, and 62Hz. By this criteria, the Conquest barely beat out the RSW15. But, yes, if he added a 20Hz data point like craigsub did/does, things would change significantly.

pleased with movies as in it does a pretty good job of that. i'm not too concerned about playing excessively loud below 20-25 hz, but at the same time i believe this is where some of the impact i'm looking for is lacking? thus back to the ported sound i am more familiar with. i'll give it more of a workout next week when the rest of my emotiva gear arrives. i'll try more setup variations then. right now, the lowly ole onkyo 702 ain't cuttin' it!!

For general music listening the RSW12 and 15 each do a great job,they are never boomy of intrude on the music,for serious HT they miss the abyss portion of the subsonic portion that brings the shake factor home.

I would advise people to listen to the Klipsch THX trio, two subs powered by the matching Klipsch amp,this combo starts to bring serious ...very serious output and extension home.And these subs are very compact.