Cornwall Setup Advice???

CO1

I need some help with powering these speakers. Luckily I don't have an audiophile ear so I plan to do this on the cheap < $400. I'm not really a tube guy but I've never heard a good tube setup before but like I said I want to do this on the cheap so that route is out of the equation. I need inputs for a cd player, dvd player, ipod and a PC so I'd like a couple of coax or optical inputs. I'm thinking the easiest/cheapest thing to do is to get a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver with MCAA or YPAO but I'm wonder if there are other options in my price range. What would be the min/max solid state power that should be pumped through these speakers? I know all you serious 2 channel guys will laugh at my proposed setup but when your finished please give me some suggestions on my setup. [:D] Any kind of first time heritage guy advice also appreciated. Thanks!

The CW's are so efficient it doesn't take alot of power for them. Twenty WPC or so could be considered a decent minimum. The main thing is to have a good clean first watt.

If buying a new receiver, be sure to have the privilege of return if you don't care for the sound.

Vintage CW's will need to have their crossover caps replaced. This is a bigger decision than which amp, IMO.

Thanks I was reading about the older crossover caps other day. I'll replace the crossovers if necessary thanks. Come on guys give me some other options to power these things. There must be a better way in my price range than buying a 7.1 receiver for a 2 channel setup. I attached a pic to see what you guys can tell me about these speakers. Thanks!

post-3846-13819426757914_thumb.jpg

I power my La Scala II's with a relatively cheap Onkyo integrated. It lists for $700 but I paid less than $500. Sounds great to my ears!

If you want to stay around $400, there are plenty of affordable 2-channel alternatives to an A/V receiver. In an integrated amp, NAD and Cambridge come to mind, and I think Yamaha has a nice 100W int. amp in that price range, too.

In a two-channel receiver, the Outlaw is highly rated but is around $700, I think. Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony and Denon have two-channel receivers in that price range, but I don't know how good they would sound. Probably just fine, but I'd want the option of return or exchange.

CO1,

It looks like you may have an up-grade crossover there (and if so, the K52 also.)

Nice to know.

What are the common 2ch setups people are running with cornwalls for under $800? Would the RR2150 be a good match...what others should I be looking at? I'm in a rush so I'd appreciate some help. I can't audition any gear and I have less than 3 months with the cornwalls. I'm hoping to research my options and make an informed guess so I can enjoy the little I time I have. Thanks.

I run my Cornwall II's off a Rotel RA-1070 Integrated Amplifier and am quite happy with the sound. The functionality of the unit serves my purposes and was one of the reasons I chose it. Plenty of power and with such efficent speakers I barely graze the 9:00 postion on the volume attenuator. Then again it is in the living room of a one bedroom Manhattan apartment.

Lots of folks here seem to like Outlaw Audio with strong value for the dollar spent. Right now the used audio market is flush with products, there are definatly some values to be had with patience. Check the Garage sale forum here at Klipsch, you'll know the gear was well taken care of. Let us know what you end up with.

Is 100 wpc enough? My room is 15x26 and I what it to be very loud. I realize everyone has a different opinion of what they consider loud. I'm sure most people have experienced what it is like in a club when the music is so loud you have to yell to have a conversation and even then you don't understand half the time what is being said...will 100 wpc on cornwalls give me that in a room my size?

Two years ago I spent time listening to several integrated recievers for my home theater system. I ended up with a Dennon 7.1 reciever, which in my ear just eeked out Pioneer and Yamaha recievers.. I do see that when you put them in 2 channel mode you can bridge the two left and right channels for stereo. It was rated at 75wpc, which would be ample for your speakers, and was on sale for less than $300.

I've been looking at the Outlaw RR2150 but I thik I will need more power than 100wpc. My RF-3's have approx the same sensitivity rating as cornwalls and 100wpc into an RF-3 is not enough for what I want. Any intergrated units with more power than the RR2150 for under $1000? I was looking at the Emotiva gear and the XPA-2 looks nice but their pre amps are out of stock. Anyway still haven't made up my mind but bye da jesus something is going in the mail this week.

Hi

I am running a Pioneer elite receiver with the main
pre out into a carver TFM-25 ( 250 x2) with my Corns and let me tell
you when the meters are showing about 5 watts it is loud , 50 watts it
is really loud, and when its hits 100 to 150 we are talking live PA
sound level that not only is super loud but you start to feel air
pressure on you. I am in a 35 x 20 room.

What Squaker drivers are those ? My corn 1 have K-55's , just like my LaScalas

Tom

PS My Elite also has the MCAA set up EQ and it rocks.You can dial any thing in perfect.

Sounds like I need at least 150wps then. lol

Yeah I love MCAA it makes a huge difference. Which brings me back to my first post...why shouldn't I get a HT receiver with MCAA or YPAO? I can get 7x130wpc and a million connections that I don't need so there has to be something in the 150-200wpc range for 2 channel in my budget. I don't want to make the mistake of not having enough power so if intergrated can't cut it what seperates should I look at?

Hi there,

I really can't add to what's been said as far as brands here... but as far as your power range goes please consider that a 200 W amp gives you only +3 dB sound pressure than a 100 W amp. Can you really tell the difference between 112 and 115 dB of sound pressure? You may have more of an audiophile ear than you think.

What are those old CW's rated for power handling? My old 1977 CW's are only rated at 100 W continuous.

Regards,

Mace

• Like 1