Lyra dorian cart???

fenderbender

Anybody using one of the Lyra Dorian Carts???

Any opinions???

I'm running a VPI scout into a BBXII w/ cream....

I was told by my VPI guy that this was the most cart my VPI Scout could handle before any shortcomings of the VPI...would overcome a Higher end Cart.....

Nice to know that I chose a good table...He could have upsold me but was told to hold onto my money because until I drop about $9K on a Nottingham Dais I got about as good as it gets.for the front end.....well that was one opinion anyway :)

I don't know man. The combination name alone is freaky. Dorian mode is of course a derivation of a minor scale in today's terms. Lyra is an ancient name for a constellation. Do they really know this or did they just make up words that sound cool like labeling a japanese car? With a scout, I wouldn't bother thinking of a 9K upgrade. So forget that nonsense. What cartridge are you running now that makes you want better?

I loved playin bass runs in Dorian mode......Bill Evans Used it a lot in the 60's

Oh and unless I hit the super powerball $125,000,000 I staying with the VPI....no reason to ever upgrade

As far as the cart goes I have an almost new Dynavector 10x5 HOMC, and I will be getting my BBXII with cream this week so I want to get a LOMC cart

the Lyra Dorian out puts at 2.5 mv (on the high side for a LOMC) but I'm told is a really great cart with the JMW 9 tonearm and comes in at like 3 grams

I know the ZU modified 103R is very nice but is quite heavy and my tonearm would have to be modified with extra weight /anti skate to balance it properly.

Soooo I'm just trying to get the best LOMC that won't out preform my table.....

He could have upsold me but was told to hold onto my money because until I drop about $9K on a Systemdek Dais I got about as good as it gets.for the front end.....well that was one opinion anyway :) ... I want to get a LOMC cart the Lyra Dorian out puts at 2.5 mv (on the high side for a LOMC)

I can't comment on Lyra carts, but I would call 2.5 mv an HO, not LOMC. I myself doubt that an HOMC has a good LOMC's detail, transparency and life. If you the admittedly very heavy Zu won't work, I suggest either an Ortofon (ask Mark Deneen for recommendations) or see if you can get access to a Transfiguration like the Phoenix: http://www.profundo.us/.

As a highly satisfied Basis owner, I don't buy his version of a TT "upgrade" brand!

Larry

my mistake...the lyra outputs 0.6Mv not 2.5....and I should have clarified that I was asking about upgrades in the VPI line....thats when my dealer told me that I should hold onto my money....there are alot of very nice turntables out there....it was just my dealer opinion that i'm good the way I am until I get to the mega buck tables and carts and then it's a matter of degree and preference.

i'll check into the Tranfiguration carts ...thanks LarryC

I loved playin bass runs in Dorian mode......Bill Evans Used it a lot in the 60's

Oh and unless I hit the super powerball $125,000,000 I staying with the VPI....no reason to ever upgrade

As far as the cart goes I have an almost new Dynavector 10x5 HOMC, and I will be getting my BBXII with cream this week so I want to get a LOMC cart

the Lyra Dorian out puts at 2.5 mv (on the high side for a LOMC) but I'm told is a really great cart with the JMW 9 tonearm and comes in at like 3 grams

I know the ZU modified 103R is very nice but is quite heavy and my tonearm would have to be modified with extra weight /anti skate to balance it properly.

Soooo I'm just trying to get the best LOMC that won't out preform my table.....

I use a Zu 103R and 3 gram headshell weight on my Scout with no problems.

"I use a Zu 103R and 3 gram headshell weight on my Scout with no problems."

Thats good to know........keep my options open......I'm going to get an audition of several different carts at my VPI dealer shop next week when he expects a shipment in .....I was told to schlep along my BBX and he'd hook it into the system so the pre was the same........

It'd be interesting to know what carts you get to compare and what you think the pros and cons are.

I think He has a Lyra Dorian, Argo And Helkion on order (but $1k is my budget)

Also a shelter 501 mk II and Shelter 5000...he has in stock

I think he also has a few dynavectors....but I'm not even going to listen to any Mega$$$ carts because thats just stupid at this point [:P] and we'll have two VPI scouts set up side by side for comparison....

I'll let you know what I think after I here them

Just order the Zu.  Everyone raves about it and it has been confirmed that it works with your arm and others have confirmed that it works with the Blueberry with cream.  They are on sale right now on ebay for $300 (1% grade). 

Then I would be just like everybody else [:D][:D][:D]

The way I look at it is the Denon103R is 30 yr old tech....yes zu modifies it...But I think I want to at least try out some of the more modern options ....If I ever get around to redoing the TD-124 I think the ZU would be perfect in line with a vintage system

I have drank the Koolaid And I like it......My wifes going to $hit if I ever bring home a Nottingham Dais....[6][6][6]

Just order the Zu. Everyone raves about it and it has been confirmed that it works with your arm and others have confirmed that it works with the Blueberry with cream. They are on sale right now on ebay for $300 (1% grade).

Then I would be just like everybody else Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

I was referring to the Stereophile review of the cart. Quite high praise.

http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/1207zu/index1.html

Check out Arthur Salvator's site for a review of many carts, including the Denon.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Cartridges.html

Take all reviews with a grain of salt, but at least they have experience with many components. Salvator does not have experience with a huge amount of equipment and is very opinionated (I imagine he is a difficult person from his self appointed reviewer of the revierwers status and his reviews) but I do think that he is being as honest as he can be.

Just order the Zu.  Everyone raves about it and it has been confirmed that it works with your arm and others have confirmed that it works with the Blueberry with cream.  They are on sale right now on ebay for $300 (1% grade). 

Then I would be just like everybody else Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

I was referring to the Stereophile review of the cart.  Quite high praise. 

http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/1207zu/index1.html

Check out Arthur Salvator's site for a review of many carts, including the Denon. 

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Cartridges.html

Take all  reviews with a grain of salt, but at least they have experience with many components.  Salvator does not have experience with a huge amount of equipment and is very opinionated (I imagine he is a difficult person from his self appointed reviewer  of the revierwers status and his reviews) but I do think that he is being as honest as he can be. 

thanks for the links....I've read most of the reviews and they are very positive......one thing on my tone arm is that it can work...but it is pushed to the limits of workability if you shoehorn it in.....

The fact still remains that there are any number of wonderful components, Cart's out that that receive stellar reviews, and are quite frankly amazing ......

the Zu 103R is about $600 MSRP and reviewed as being full bodied, warm and lush......for a few bucks more you are in a different league and getting much more transparency, and detail.......hey some folks like a merlot, I Like a pinot....

Well I just auditioned the Lyra Dorian, Shelter 501 II , dynavector (something in the $1400 range ) and the Lyra Helikon

And i got to tell you ...the dorian hands down killed in the sub $1500 range.......the bass was fast and accurate and it gave th overall impression of extrating every thing out of the grove in a very musical way....I know it has been reported to be trebely...but not harsh at all...just very dynamic and musical..

Of course I loved the Helicon also but not @ 3X the price

Funny...I was talking to Mark D from JM this afternoon and mentioned the dorian...and he had Know idea that I was in that price range for a cart...but he had good reports and has a lot of clients using it with VPI and the BBX II with cream, with outstanding results

So thanks for all the info and input...one more thing that I can cross off my list for now!!!! now I just have to wait a week until it comes in (the demo was spoken for)

I have a Lyra Dorian is used for 6 mo. until replacing with a Ortofon Jubilee. The Lyra was excellent with my VPI Aries, very acurate and detailed. I think the Lyra is one of the best bang for the buck carts out there.

I bought mine for about $750 from Larry at Hollywood Sound in Hollywood CA. FL who I highly recommend.

Edit: Don't know why I said CA it is FL

rigma