Klipsch RF7 / RC7 Amplifier Recommendations

erikill

I've noticed since I upgraded to pushing 7 Channels off my Denon 3806 that it struggles sometimes when there are LFE or other scenes (I watch the current draw go crazy). I've decided that I should take at least the RF7's off the Denon, and possibly the RC7. I've been looking at the following amps on ebay/audiogon/craigslist:

Acurus A200x3

Acurus A250

Aragon 8008x3

Rotel RB-1080

Parasound HCA-1500A

Parasound HCA-2200

My budget is around 600-800 bucks. Any recommendations on above and if I should go for the better 2channel amp now, and get a monoblock for the center later.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Emotiva xpa-2 on sale for 699 will kill hooked up to rf-7's

Or get the XPA-5 for $699 and hook 5 speakers up to it. That's the one I'm looking at buying.

I've heard mixed reviews about Rotel with Klipsch. If you were going to stick with one of your mentioned amps, I would go with the Acurus or Parasound. Both have received great reviews with Klipsch speakers.

Emotiva xpa-2 on sale for 699 will kill hooked up to rf-7's

Or get the XPA-5 for $699 and hook 5 speakers up to it. That's the one I'm looking at buying.

And that's the one I have.. The XPA-5 will drive the heck out of your speakers... CLEANLY. And it's on sale now for $699 shipped! I paid $840 for it and it's STILL a great deal. They've been put up against amps at multiples of their price andfared quite well.

When/if you get any amp - bypass the power center - those can be limiting when you're really driving the amp.

• Moderators

1. What is the returned merchandise policy for Emotiva products?

Emotiva offers a 30 day, no questions asked and hassle-free, return
policy. Simply call 1-877-EMO-TECH for an RMA number. Once we have
received your unit(s), checking to make sure they are intact, we will
issue a refund for the full purchase amount. It’s that simple!

If
within the first 30 days, you decide to return your merchandise, please
call us for your RMA number. Repack the unit in its original packaging
with all accessories, manuals, etc., and ship it to the address listed
below.. Once the unit has been received and inspected, you will
promptly be given a refund. The customer is responsible for paying for
the return shipping.

Emotiva Audio Corporation:

106 Mission Court, Suite 101

Franklin, TN 37067

Don't forget about this. You really have nothing to lose! If I was considering those two amps, I personally would go with the XPA-3. That way I could have my front three speakers driven by the same amp. You could get the XPA-2 and drive the fronts, then get the XPA-5 later to power the rest of your speakers (if you have a 7.1 system). Lots of options, none of which are wrong.

I think I'm sold, the $599 for (XPA-3) 200x3 brand new with a 5yr warranty seems like a good deal, including free shipping. Now the question is start with 3 channels or 2 :-P

Yes there amps are great...I luv mine to death well not really but you get my point.lol....Some food for thought....For the extra $100 i would go with the XPA-5....Plus if you want in the future go with a XPA-2,,And then you can go 7.1 if you like...Note: there customer service A++++++...It like are Family here at Klipsch...Everyone is down to earth..Well maybe not...LOL...Just go over to emotiva lounge and read and ask questions....Very helpful info over there....And hey if you order one ask for a t-shirt...you never know..(hint).....

Mike

x2 for the XPA-5 - for $100, you get another2 channels of 200+ watts... My original decision was an XPA-3 also, till I thought of it that way...

That's a good point, but would all the 7 series stuff put a heavy strain on the amp since it looks like 1600VA transformer? It looks though for 3 channel 250X3 works until I decide to move some more stuff off the receiver. And for free shipping I may do it and get the 2 channel later.

XPA-5

Number of channels: 5 Amplifier Class: Short signal path A/B Output design: Triple Darlington with Toshiba output stages Differential Drive: Dual Differential input Types of inputs: Both Balanced (XLR) and Un-balanced (RCA) Type of outputs: Audiophile quality 5 way binding post Display type: Digital status indicators

200 watts RMS/channel into 8 ohms, all channels driven
  • 5 channels - 8 ohm = 200 watts per channel
  • 4 channels - 8 ohm = 230 watts per channel
  • 3 channels - 8 ohm = 250 watts per channel
  • 2 channels - 8 ohm = 275 watts per channel
  • 1 channel - 8 ohm = 300 watts per channel

If you use it as a 3 channel amp for now it actually has more power that way..then a XPA-3...but whatever you decide on its still a great amp..

BerserkNitro - Yea I kinda thought more about it, and it make more sense for the 5 channel now, run the back surrounds off the receiver, then eventually upgrade to a big 2-channel for the fronts. Now to just get the new monoprice wire + banaplugs :-)

I will chime in. I have a Yamaha RX-Z1 pushing 130WPC. While it did a great job, it really shined when I put an AMC 5 channel 150WPC on the unit. After that I bought some Yamaha M-80's off of ebay (260WPC) and these baby's ROAR!

You can get an ebay unit for around $500.

I think the LFE settings could help for the mean time and I wouldn't worry too much about the RC-7...The RF-7's are the challenge.