ALK Trachorn vs. Jubilee

tjnif

I'm sure someone might of posted a similar comparison but...... I Installed my ALK Trachorn,Xtreme crsover, and Crites tweeter in my 72 Khorns a few weeks ago. Holy SHT!! I could not believe the difference in sound! I have 2 Mac Mc2102 Bridged, C2300 peamp,Basis debut Vacuum table ,Graham Phantom arm, Dynavector XV1s,PS audio premier, 2 dedicated 20 Amp circuits , Kubala emotion cords and cables. A little history first..... Of course i thought my system was Great, I got intersted in trying out Kubala power cords as the "hype" was it makes a difference in the sound. Of course I was skeptical, borrowed a pair from Audioclassics and was AMAZED at how much better my stereo sounded....bought them immediatley, then came the Trachorns,ect..... My question is: how much better do the jubilles sound than my modded Khorns??? Is it that much? Has anyone experienced it side by side w/ modded Khorns?? They do look intimidating to say the least! Any answers will be much appreciated!!

Yes, I have heard them in a side by side test. Stock units. The difference is not close. But, the Jubilee has a different timber, different type of sound than the Heritage line because of the K402 horn. This makes the comparison difficult because it is not apples to apples. The K402 is a 2" platform so you have a much bigger sounding horn. The dispersion characteristics are totally different as well. Again making it a difficult comparison. The Khorn is an excellent speaker. The Jubilee was designed to be the next generation. That should be enough for you right there.

I will say that the bass bin sounds very much like a lascala with the low end extension of a Khorn or thereabouts. If you could imagine dual lascala bins that played down into the low 30s, then you have a decent idea of a single Jub bass bin. It comes right at you unlike the Khorn that engulfs you. It's tight and fast. I think the Jub is probably Klipsch's best all around bass bin.

I had a pair of excellent 1996 Khorns with the ALK ESNs (auricaps), CT-125 tweeters at one point, but I never tried the trachorn. While I thought these were some great sounding modifications for the Khorn, what I had just did not approach the sound of the current production Jubilee. That is simply a totally different sound.

Yep, what Mark said... also...maybe to add, your wife will like the looks of your Khorns MUCH better!!!

Well I'm being tactical here.....Hopefully (God willing) we will be moving in a Yr.... I'm thinking my Listeneing room/ Home theatre room can incorpotate the Jubilees. I have 3 Pairs of Korns and 2 pair of Blelle's that I was gonna use(4Khonrs, 3Bellles) for that purpose.The xtra Khorns will be used in another system ( Oh, by the way, I have 1 extra Belle if anyone is in need of one, email me). I always thought the Jubillee looked to "BIG" but I think w/ the black backround I will have, it would be OK. Or maybe just Keep my Heritage line (no slouch in the sound dept) and be Happy!

3 pr of Khorns and 2 pr of Belles?!... Would your wife even notice another pair of behemoths in the house?

The Jubilees she would definetly notice, and she wouldn't be to happy about it either! I would definetly have to sell some "Klipsch stock" if I purchased them!

I'm pretty far from Rochester.....about 5 hrs

Well crud.

The good news is, I had the wrong town and it wasn't Rochester

The bad news is, there's a pair in Buffalo which is even further... [N]

Also a pair in Westhampton, Massachusetts and those are the nearest ones to you (that I'm aware of)

My question is: how much better do the jubilles sound than my modded Khorns???

To play devils advocate... if you're going to compare to a modified Khorn, then you might as well allow for the modification of the Jubilee and swap out the K69 driver for the TAD 4002 driver. This would in essense, allow the comparison to be between a maxed out Khorn and a maxed out Jubilee instead of a maxed out KHorn and a stock Jubilee.

Just food for thought [:D]

My question is: how much better do the jubilles sound than my modded Khorns???

To play devils advocate... if you're going to compare to a modified Khorn, then you might as well allow for the modification of the Jubilee and swap out the K69 driver for the TAD 4002 driver. This would in essense, allow the comparison to be between a maxed out Khorn and a maxed out Jubilee instead of a maxed out KHorn and a stock Jubilee.

Just food for thought Big Smile

Well, you then need to use TAD drivers (midrange and tweeter) in the K Horn too. Aren't they about $2000 and up per pair?

No words are going to be able to do this comparison justice regardless of modifications of either speaker. You have to hear it for yourself. Trust me, it will be a VERY short test. You will quit spending money on your Khorns right then and there.

• Moderators

Even better put the Tad's in the Khorn and then compare to a stock Jubilee, still only a short test will be needed. imo

The Jubilee is the younger more evolved 2 way brother to the Khorn PWK was always working toward.

Basis debut Vacuum table ,Graham Phantom arm, Dynavector XV1s

Tom,

Did you sell the VPI TNT? Why the switch in tables?

It was actually an VPI HRX.... I was always itching to get a Basis w/ Vacuum hold and one came available used and I bought it hence the sale of HRX. Muxh better soundstage, better isolation, and no worries about warped records or (GOD FORBID) banging that expensive stylus on outer ring YIKES!!

Wanna get even more confused? Toss the K403 horn on top of a Jub bin and THEN you have the Heritage sound and dispersion accomplished effectively in 2-way.........yes........and you would SMILE and say GEE that does sound like a bigger and badder Khorn. But......the K402 totally changes the game......and takes things to a different level.

Man!! I was so impressed w/ my modded Khorns.....I shoukd of kept my mouth shut! Now I will never satisfied until I hear a pair of JUBS!!

I was thinking about buying a pair of Wilson WATT Puppy 7's about one year ago and the guy also had a pair of these for sale:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1230434792&/JBL-1400-array-

The JBL Array 1400 horn speakers. He swore that they were better than the Wilsons and was willing to sell me either pair. This is a pretty good price too.

The 1400 Array horn is a different type horn,,, Its a diffraction horn,,setting it verticle gives you a wider horizontal dispersion. Different from the So called Jube 402/69 horn/driver... Consider (picture) the Array as a very large EV T35 tweeter set verticle giving 120 horizontal dispersion,, The Array 1400 is a great unit useing the new Beryllium HF driver,,, Some of the Jube owners are useing the TAD 4002 Beryllium HF driver on the 402 horn. Costs go up expotentially.