What surrounds to mate with forte II's?

PhilMays

I'm now fevorishly working on my downstairs theater.

So far I am building it around forte II's for my mains. However I am toying with the conceot of using Cornwalls or Choras II's as mains and the fortes's as surrounds.

Anyway, it looks like the Academy center is the way to go for a center, but if I stick with forte II's, what sorround would work well?

TIA!

Phil

I'm now fevorishly working on my downstairs theater. So far I am building it around forte II's for my mains. However I am toying with the conceot of using Cornwalls or Choras II's as mains and the fortes's as surrounds. Anyway, it looks like the Academy center is the way to go for a center, but if I stick with forte II's, what sorround would work well? TIA! Phil

Phil,

Being as that Fote' and Forte'IIs are considered some of the most articulate speakers in the Klipsc line-up, why not a second set of the same. Alot of surround pre amps have 4 channel stereo for playing loud music, so you really don't need bigger mains to listen to loud music. I find that most surround tracts are lighter on the rear surround effects then I like, so I want the same sensitivity in my rear surrounds to enlarge these effects. Good Pre amps will often have the abillity to increase or decrease output at each speaker location to tailor to your wants and needs as well, but asthetically and/or WAF, what is better looking then 4 matching speakers except for 5 or 7 matching speakers???

Further still, if you go with larger fronts such as Cornwalls or the Chorus IIs, your sensitivity ratings are going to be alot better, and you will have to back them off in order to hear an Academy, or you will have to buy a third Chorus II or Cornwall,

Roger

I've found that the RS-42s I have work surprisingly well even though they are generations apart and very different in their drivers/horns/etc. The KSP-S6 which is a surround-sound specific speaker has an awesome reputation although they don't turn up for sale too often.

I'll second twisted on the second set of Forte IIs as surrounds. My
setup used to be 4 Forte IIs with an Academy Center and it sounded
mighty fine. Then I got a line on some Cornwalls, and...well, you can
probably figure out the rest of that story. But I wouldn't hesitate to
recommend that configuration to anyone.

A step up from that would
be replacing the Academy with another Forte II. Matching timbre is
incredibly important if you're going to be listening to multichannel
music. Yes, I am the devil on your shoulder [6]

I've got KG 3.2s for rears right now and they sound great with Forte IIs. I've got both 5.2s and 2.5s I'm not using that I've been meaning to put in the rear just to see how it sounds but never seem to get around to it. I'm off tomorrow maybe I'll give it a try. If the 2.5s sound good back there I may leave them in place just to help out with space issues the back of my room has.

I'm using three forte II's across the front with popbumper K-stacks, they sound great. My surrounds are forte II's with K-stacks and my rear centers are quartets with K-stacks. system sounds sweet all timbre matched. The pans across the front are seemless. The quartets owould work well for surrounds also. There is a lot less sound out of the surrounds and rear centers.

let's consider the room layout and seating position first guys..... diagram or photos please Phil?

IMHO, timbre match is not nearly as important front/surround as it is LCR. If you'll notice, the human ear points forwards, therefore perceiving sounds from the front much more accurately than from the sides and rear. Therefore my recommendation might very well be RS52 or something like that, depending on what Phil has available in terms of height and where the seating position is. Wuzzer's recommendation is very close to my own.