Record Cleaning

mdbrien

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the VPI. The idea of the machine is good and if you have one and can live with the noise great. It turns teh record so that is nice.

But if you do not have one, a package of 3 re-usable microfiber cloths is $4 at the Home Depot. They remove liquid just as well as the vacuum machines. Grooves are very small and the cloth will absorb the water out of the grooves just as well. Remember, the cloth does not need to get into the grooves, just above the grooves and capilary rise causes the water to get pulled out (has to do with surface tension of the liquid, it has been a very long time since fluid mechanics classes).

If anyoen wants a Nitty Gritty, a good friend has one that is one year old for sale cheap. One memebr has asked about it for a friend but have not heard anythign back yet (at least I did not) so I think it is stil available.

I like the idea of the VPI as well. I am kind of thinking that using the steam with vacuum might be a pretty effective way to go.

Josh

What are the VPI machines' cases made from? I'd hope it was something durable and waterproof (well-sealed and all), as that steam seems to go everywhere. If it's made from melamine laminated to mdf or particle board, good luck!

• Moderators

If the record still has noise, make up a solution of 2/3 to 3/4 distilled water, 1/4 to 1/3 rubbing alcohol (don't obsess over the water content in the alcohol like the Audio-goons) and about 1 drop of diswashing detergent per about 8 to 12 oz or so. I put this mixture in a water bottle and poke a small hole in the top to squirt it. I use that mixture with a Disc Doctor brush, then steam it off.

I think the Disc Doctor brush is by far the best think out in the market. It has a two level nap, one gets well into the grooves, and the other gets the surface. I also like his cleaning fluid, I use the original that requires a clean water rinse.

I am really interested in the steam system and the results people achieve. I have the 16.5 VPI and get great results with the disc Doctor system, but it does require two vaccum wands and a 2nd rinse cycle. If the steam avoids the necessity of a vaccum cleaner then it will be a good option budge wise. But for someone who has a vaccum system, the big question is going to be whether it provides a deeper/better cleaning, or can achieve the same cleaning wth less steps.

There is no question, after watching the first video, that it is the best way to go for a manual system. (He is using nothing but steam). If he can get everything out then it is very inexpensive and fairly quick. However, I could clean about 3 records to his every one with a VPI 16.5 so it will be interesting to see what results folks get with steam in vac system. If they get the same cleaning without having to use brushes, and or cleaners then it would be worth a try. It would be hard to believe that steam is going to get something that DD brushes and solution would miss by themselves, so I want to see if it lets you skip something and be just as clean.

On the alcohol issue, if you use too strong a solution of alcohol it can for sure strip the sheen right off an lp. This has always made me wonder what alcohol is doing to the vinyl even if it is diluted. The DD claims that alcohol leaches the plasticisers out of record vinyl, whatever that is, but who knows. Like I said, I actually removed the sheen off of a record using 100 alcohol. For a normal lp cleaning, one that has not come from a garage sale, etc, I use a non-alcohol based cleaner such as the DD solution. There are, however, some things that are going to require alcohol in order to be really clean. If a record comes from a smoking household, for example, you are going to have to hit it with an alcohol based product first. I reccomend following that up with your normal non-alcohol based solution, followed by a water rinse. Whatever brush you use with the alcohol based solution you are not going to want to use with the other solution.

With regad to "rubbing alcohol," I would avoid using it. A pint of 99.9% pure isoporponol costs about $10. It is available at a lot of places, Techspray offers it along with a bunch of other places. I know that is more then a pint of rubbing alcohol, but it can't be that much and you don't know what you are gettngwith the rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol can either be ethyl or isopropyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is the kind we drink and so federal regs require ethyl rubbing alcohol to be denatured so you can't drink it, The denaturing agents are something you would never want on your records. Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, as previously mentioned, can have lanolin in it, which may or may not be on the label. More importantly, it usually contains perfume oils, and you don't want that stuff on your records. For the slight difference in cost I just don't risk what may, or may not be in the rubbing alcohol. With the 99.9 I know there is nothing it.

Like I said, I am looking forward to hearing more about the steam system in conjunction with the VPI machine.

Travis

There is no question, after watching the first video, that it is the best way to go for a manual system. (He is using nothing but steam). If he can get everything out then it is very inexpensive and fairly quick. However, I could clean about 3 records to his every one with a VPI 16.5.

Well yea, you, but judging by your well written post you probably still have most of your sanity (can't have al if you are hanging around here).

But what about the guy in the second video? He probbaly never listens to his record because (1) it may wear out the grooves, (2) he does not have time to listen because all of his free time is spent cleaning records, and (3) he cannot afford a turntable because he has a $300 a day "habit" consisting of gallons of Record Research Cleaning fluids and imported duterion water where his picks the extra oxygen out by hand before shipping it to New Jersey to have Harry Weisfeld bless it in a ceremony.

• Moderators

Well yea, you, but judging by your well written post you probably still have most of your sanity (can't have al if you are hanging around here).

But what about the guy in the second video? He probbaly never listens to his record because (1) it may wear out the grooves, (2) he does not have time to listen because all of his free time is spent cleaning records, and (3) he cannot afford a turntable because he has a $300 a day "habit" consisting of gallons of Record Research Cleaning fluids and imported duterion water where his picks the extra oxygen out by hand before shipping it to New Jersey to have Harry Weisfeld bless it in a ceremony.

Now that was funny.

The second guy for sure never listens to his records. After he finishes with that 12 step process, he puts his lp's in his $2,000 lp demagnatizer (http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73520) only to discover they are dusty requiring a repeat in the steam bath.

Travis

After much thought, and many hours (cleaning records, looking for record cleaners and talking to many forum members on multiple websites) I have come to the conclusion, that this product (link) would be very easy to make and would do a sufficient job. Blue moon raves about it. It could be made for under $20. I actually have built one but I need to re-engineer where the 3" pvc pipe plugs mount to the vertical piece of pipe, to prevent drag. I used the steam machine and it did ruin one of my newer albums (Lucinda Williams~ West) so I am a bit paranoid to use the steamer again.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

fini, they're made of mdf with a vinyl covering. I had some warping with regular use, which sucked. Since buying a used Clearaudio Smart Matrix, which is built much better than the VPI, I've had no problems.

The Clearaudio is also quieter than the VPI. There's really no comparison in build quality between the VPI and Clearaudio.

What are the VPI machines' cases made from? I'd hope it was something durable and waterproof (well-sealed and all), as that steam seems to go everywhere. If it's made from melamine laminated to mdf or particle board, good luck!

After much thought, and many hours (cleaning records, looking for record cleaners and talking to many forum members on multiple websites) I have come to the conclusion, that this product (link) would be very easy to make and would do a sufficient job. Blue moon raves about it. It could be made for under $20. I actually have built one but I need to re-engineer where the 3" pvc pipe plugs mount to the vertical piece of pipe, to prevent drag. I used the steam machine and it did ruin one of my newer albums (Lucinda Williams~ West) so I am a bit paranoid to use the steamer again.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

How did you warp a record? Did you use a Perfection Steam cleaner or some other machine?

The Perfection cleaner does not put out a very hot stream. You also need to keep it about 3" or more from the record.

Yes, I used the Perfection steam cleaner, purchased at Walgreens. I held it 3" - 4" from the record and the record warped and never regained shape. I left the steamer on for approx, 15 minutes before I sprayed the record. I cleaned several dozen records before and had no problem. Did you look at the above link I provided? I believe, this is the way to clean records without risk of heat damage

Yes, I used the Perfection steam cleaner, purchased at Walgreens. I held it 3" - 4" from the record and the record warped and never regained shape. I left the steamer on for approx, 15 minutes before I sprayed the record. I cleaned several dozen records before and had no problem. Did you look at the above link I provided? I believe, this is the way to clean records without risk of heat damage

That stinks, sorry to hear that. I have not warped one yet but will keep this in mind.