Heresy II to Heresy III

BEC

Thanks for the tutorial Bob, don't they give you black screws for speaker mounting or do you have the original ones?

I've heard the HII to H III upgrade and it's a phenomenal difference, especially at the outer limits of frequency response. The K24 had less low end than the K22, but the K28 clearly is much deeper than both.

Thanks for the tutorial Bob, don't they give you black screws for speaker mounting or do you have the original ones?

I've heard the HII to H III upgrade and it's a phenomenal difference, especially at the outer limits of frequency response. The K24 had less low end than the K22, but the K28 clearly is much deeper than both.

I obtained these H2 cabs without drivers, so I had no driver screws. Klipsch provided a few screws, but not for the drivers.

Bob

The line-up. On the outside, 1982 Heresys with K-55M, CT125 tweets, K-22E woofs and rebuilt Type E crossovers.

Second from right, Heresy II with new K-24E woofer, new K-53-K squawker, new K-76-K tweeter with new titanium diaphragm and rebuilt crossovers.

Third from right Heresy III after upgrade kit. EDIT: Uh, that is 3rd from right not counting the RC64.

Bob

post-9312-1381942826363_thumb.jpg

I had no trouble with the tweeter. Went right in. Has to be oriented just right though.

And I thought I'd tried it every which way.

I was happy to notice that the crossover and tweeter horn make it obvious that it's now a Heresy III, in case someone is looking at it and is doubting what I'm saying. It's funny that they failed to mark "8 Ohm" on the input cup, like is marked on the H-2 cup and most other speakers.

Results of the A/B/C tests should be interesting.

I've found it useful to line up the speakers ABC center ABC for test listening sessions, that way no pair gets unfair advantage of wider soundstage or corner placement or is penalized by having reflections off of nearby wall.

Maybe it's still new and tight. Mine's been running for about 10-12 hours total over the last 2 days and a few minutes ago I balanced its output with the mains and surrounds and I was able to dial it down several dB from the setting I was using with the Heresy II, which of course was 19 years old (1989).

Bob, do you find that the output of a speaker changes over the decades, or does it stay pretty much the same?

Remember that the H2 I am listening to with the H3 is just as new and just as tight. All brand new parts in both of these.

I don't think the output should change much for several years. At some point, the caps in the crossovers age enough to start attenuating the higher frequencies.

Bob

Well, I did not want to do it. I boosted the H3 by 2db relative to the H2. That got them to where I could hear the H3. Just wasn't working out balanced. That complicates things when I get to the 3 way comparisons. The louder speaker has an unfair advantage in that type of comparison.

Bob

that's where my Niles box comes in handy. Has detented volume attenuators at 2 db steps for each speaker pair.

always listen to mono sources and have speakers in same relative acoustic space when doing listening comparisons (but Bob already knew this).

get em well broken in and report back please. That woofer will take a bit of workout before it's ready for a good listen. Got to break the spider structure loose is the main thing. I use a test CD with bass warble tones, that does it in a hurry. Or any CD recorded by Mike Hurd.

Michael,

I don't think the "butt kicking" is going to happen either direction in this case. I sure wish I had a few more ears present to give this a listen.

Hey, some of you Arkansas Klipschophiles need to come on over here tomorrow.

Bob