Heresy II to Heresy III

BEC

great idea Bob, multiple ears and a discussion is a great way to try to come to concensus on a listening evaluation.

I'm going to be setting up a forte II, Academy, and Heresy surrounds today just to have a good listen to what I hope is a nicely matched set. This prior to shipping the Academy.

You all have fun and report back now.

M

Are they charging for shipping now? I thought it was free if over $50?

Michael,

I did not get an itemized invoice from Klipsch, but they billed my credit card $636.55 total for the two kits. Just looked that up.

Bob

Bob, Thanks for creating this tutorial.

I am confused by something however. The gasket for the woofer is not between the speaker frame and the motor board. Rather you show it as between the outside of the frame and the grill cloth. Why is that? I did not see this mentioned in your text.

Confused,

-Tom

Tom,

I did not mention it in the thread, but the K-28E comes with gaskets on both sides of he frame. I think it is made that way so without any additional gaskets, it could be mounted either from the front like in the H2 or H3 or from the back like in the H1.

Bob

post-9312-1381942832867_thumb.jpg

Now where did I put those instructions?

Bob

Sqaure connector plates for the xovers.....oh my............. both sets opf my 1986 HII's have circular ones. Is that an option?

You would have to cut rectangular holes in the backs of the early ones that have round holes. Upside to that is you could cut the holes such that the crossovers fit better than the ones I have.

Bob

I don't live in Arkansas so tax wasn't an issue. My kits were $290.00 apiece, delivery included. Bob, did the cabinet foam come in the kit or was it already in the H2's? Is it critical for bass extensoin or cabinet dampening?

All the H2 cabs I have seen have the foam. I don't know how important it is.

Bob

PINCHING UP.... Had to go look that one up. Only example I can find of that has to do with sailboats.

"The experienced sailor would control the heel angle in one or more of three different ways. Pinching up to spill the air, easing (dumping) the main generally by easing or dumping the traveller, or twisting the head of the main by easing the sheet and taking the traveller a little more to weather, and/or the jib by moving the block aft. This lowers the center of effort and reduces the heeling force."

My H2 will play loud and my H3 will play loud, but the H2 plays louder at the same input level than the H3.

Bob

My H2 will play loud and my H3 will play loud, but the H2 plays louder at the same input level than the H3.

Bob

That doesn't make sense. I'm not saying it isn't true, but the H III is rated at 99 dB/w and the H II is rated at 97 dB/w. I wonder what's going on?

Bob

That doesn't make sense. I'm not saying it isn't true, but the H III is rated at 99 dB/w and the H II is rated at 97 dB/w. I wonder what's going on?

Yeah, the specs say 2db more for the H3. This advertising says 3db.

"All of these changes result in improved tonal balance and increased output. In fact the Heresy III is three decibels louder (96 to 99dB), improving on its already high sensitivity."

Seems to me just the opposite, but no instruments were involved in that yet. Just trying to balance an H2 with an H3 as a stereo pair for comparison.

Bob

BTW: when's the "bolt up and show them off day"?

Well, the mid horns came in last night. I was a little disapointed though. In the smallest part of the throat of the horn there was a bunch of plastic "slag" for lack of a better term. I couldn't get my finger in there with sand cloth to remove it so I ended up using a round file and lightly filing it off. I guess it slipped through QC. Now when you look down the throat of the horns, you can see that the plastic is a little grayer than the rest of the horn where I worked. Hopefully it'll get a layer if unreachable dust in there to cover it up but at least now it's smooth. This weekend I'm going to try to find some screws for the drivers. My heart is set on black anodized for some reason. I like the looks of them better than the silver. Christmas has put a crimp in my spare time as well as the belt on our clothes dryer breaking last night, so fun projects may get slightly delayed.