Any Porsche people out there?????

winchester21

Enjoyed all the pics- especially the 928s- way ahead of it's time. I will try to post a pic of my cayman S soon. This one is way off the reservation from the rear engine -aircooled gold standard. Mid engine 320 hp w/ Borla exhaust.Handles like a go-kart on steroids. Many of the old guard have said the Cayman should banned from the club autocross events.

I love them all. My buddy has a last year of production 993 with the factory sound package with like 30k miles that is S O S W E E T .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 928 was never accepted by the old faithful Porsche purists who believe that any real Porsche should have the air cooled engine in the rear of the car.  There was even a deep divide in the top ranks of Porsche, which was what eventually led the company to ignore the 928 platform until it just couldn't justify the high price of production and in 1995 the last one came off the line. 

So true. The 928 was the red headed step child that Porsche never accepted. I truly miss my brother's '82 Guards Red 5sp 928. A truly magical car that as Greg mentioned with 50/50 weight balance and it's wonderful suspension felt like nothing else. And it's exhaust note was to die for, watch "Risky Business" if you've never heard a 928. I can't even imagine what a later model like Greg's feels like with even more hp than that '82 had, but it sure is fun to dream. [:)]

I thought the original 924 sourced more Audio parts (to keep costs in line?) but they were both owned by Volkswagen at the time IIRC...the 914 was considered too VW formany Porsche fans but they all bring the company to where they are today...as for the Cayman...very nice...congrats!

Bill

I thought the original 924 sourced more Audio parts (to keep costs in line?) but they were both owned by Volkswagen at the time IIRC...the 914 was considered too VW formany Porsche fans but they all bring the company to where they are today...as for the Cayman...very nice...congrats!

Bill

The 914 in it's day was the best handling car they ever built. Many felt they were underpowered, a more powerful engine was added to the line and these are still popular. Ironically, 914's are now coveted and enjoyed by club members as track cars for modding and racing. You rarely see one on the road nowadays.

Bill

The 914 in it's day was the best handling car they ever built. Many felt they were underpowered, a more powerful engine was added to the line and these are still popular. Ironically, 914's are now coveted and enjoyed by club members as track cars for modding and racing. You rarely see one on the road nowadays.

Like a go cart! So cool though, you'd put the roof in the trunk and your stuff under the front bonnet and your friends would wonder where the heck the engine was.

I used to have one when I was a senior in HS, talk about fun! It was always getting vandalized though. Damn football players.

Too easily rusted, that's why you don't see too many these days. Once they rusted they would sag and the doors wouldn't close. UGGGH.

Greg

The 944T was like 1/2 of a 928 with a Turbo. hehehee

There are faster 0- 60 times than mine today.... Not much back then...

After being chipped (Auto Authority Stage 2) I am going from 217 stock, to 300 HP.

That now brings it in just under or at 5 seconds 0-60 (Again some are still faster today, but very few...LOL.)

My challenge might be 40 -120 MPH. (Think of coming on to a highway, or you really need to get around that big semi...Or your all by yourself on that long winding road??) I blow away just about everything but a handful in this stat. The Turbo boost in in second gear on the car is just too light with too much power and oh so much fun. But it does not stop there.. Breaking on a DIME..and cornering.... Always a home run with Porsche. The weight ratio is very good on a 944 Turbo also known as a 951.

I have driven in Porshe driving schools for years around tracks in the midwest, I now qualify in the internediate groups just below the advanced ones. Acceleration, breaking, cornering it is awesome on the track, especially in a Porsche. But I also have taken some of these experiences in everyday driving knowing fully what I can and can't do in my car.

I know people that never would do this, or ever gone over 100 MPH in their cars. LOL THAT SAID!....

On a really warm summer day going to St Louis with my wife, (long before kids,) I did not go red line, but close... 158 MPH is amazingly fast......for about 2 mins.......then slowed down to 65 MPH. I could of sworn at 65 MPH, I could have gotten out and walked. I think the published top speed is 169? It still felt safe to drive at that speed, and things just whizzed by! I was in the zone!

Precious waste of fuel?? YES.

A speed at which to brag about in your own car for a lifetime.. PRICELESS!!

A speed at wich to brag about in your own car for a lifetime.. PRICELESS!!

Got me beat Indy. Best I've managed was 155 in a 1995 Mustang GT I had at the time. Very stable and predictable at speed, especially for an American car whose front end design was stolen from a 1978 Ford Fairmont. Far from stock and used for it's share of Friday night racing, I still went home with my tail between my legs one night when a mid '90's 911 Carrera 4 left me in his dust. Talk about a car that can hook off the line!... came to find out later he was running Nitrous... cheater.

Had a 1970 911T. Had it for about 8 years. Lowered the suspension2", Abarth muffler, 6 1 barrel Holley-Webbers. Flames would shoot out of it. Ran AV gas from the local airport in Huntsville, Tx. Once had it up to 138 but the front end drifted at that speed. Did not have the whale tail. Should have left the deck lid up because it was still accelerating. Man I miss that car. Not the wife though.

I gotta come to the defense of the 914 and the 924. Most people who bash the 914 have never driven one. The car was way ahead of it's time in the handling area. The later models in particular were not deserving of the VW comparison. Go to any autocross event today and watch them eat the competition. The are a few 914-6s around- particulary the modded ones-that are fast even by today's standards.

My first P car was a 1977-1/2 Euro delivery 924 that I bought form a local CEO after he lost the battle with the little woman. Bahama Blue/Black. Of course I had to modify the thing with all of the goodies available from Automotion. The late 70s were the demise of the muscle cars- smog pumps - ect. My 924 was a leaded gas car and after a few engine and suspension mods the car was pretty quick considering what else was out there in 1979. It turned heads everywhere, it was fast for it's day and I never had much trouble with it in the 80K miles that I put on it. I also got a nice pile of cash when I sold it in 1984. Sure, it was not a 911 or a 928 but it was a darn fine automoblie for it's day considering what else was out there at the time. In stock form, it made the C&D list for the top 20 fastest new cars available at the time.

Porsche never made any bad cars- some just better(and more expensive) than others.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL this just in....... Oh the shame!!!!!

matt_dillon%282%29.jpg
Photo released by the Vermont State Police
Actor Matt Dillon was arrested December 30th for going 106 mph on an interstate highway in Vermont.

Dillon, 44 of New York, was pulled over by a state trooper on Interstate 91. This happened in Newbury Vermont at about 10 pm Tuesday. He was driving a rented 2009 Chevy Impala.

The
posted speed limit was 65 mph. Dillon was charged criminally under a
statue that bans going more than 30 mph above the posted speed limit.

Dillon
is scheduled to appear in Vermont District Court on the 21st of
January. If he is convicted he could get up to 3 months in jail and a
fine of $300. Sgt. Tara Thomas says "we're trying to treat him no
different than we would anyone else".