Craigslist Fraud......PLEASE READ!!!!!

tommyboy

I have a warning for everyone on here! I had a laptop on c list for sale. A guy paid via paypal, but then I found out that the computer was a little on the defective side. He said he didn't mind, as he could fix it, and asked me to mail it to Nigeria. (he threw in an extra hundred bucks for shipping) Paypal sent me an email saying that they won't put the money in my acct until I provide them with a tracking # from USPS, and they verify it was g t g. I told him it was against my better judgement to ship a faulty product. the next day when I came home from work, his money was no longer in my paypal acct, so I figured he took the money back. this was all about 4 days ago

Well, today when I came home, I checked my email. I had an email from Paypal. It basically said ship it, because the money was non refundable to him, bla bla bla, or they would take legal action against me. So I emailed that guy, and gave him a piece of my mind; and he said that he told me to ship it anyway, and i was wrong for not doing that. I explained to him that I never received the money in my acct, and once it was gone from paypal, I figured he took it back. What made me think it was fraud was that I noticed in the email that there were many typo's, and at the end of it said the FBI would bust me. Ya right, like the fed's are gonna come after me for a 200 dollar transaction. Also, when he told me ship it broken, he NEVER asked me to lower the price at all.

So I called c list directly. to make this a little shorter, I was reading her our emails back and forth, she stopped me in the middle of me talking, and asked me if he asked me to ship it to Nigeria. I told her yes, and she told me to ignore his emails and warn all my friends about this scam. she also said that c list never requires a USPS tracking number for them to put the money in your acct; and that it only depends on your personal bank to see how long it takes for you to get the money. Oh ya, and she said that they've (the cons) have figured out some way to use the tracking number thing to take their money back after the fact. Once you provide the tracking number, they have a limited amount of time to take their money back, and they get your product, but you get no money..........

So, if you use c list, and receive any email from ANYONE asking you to ship to Nigeria if they pay shipping, via Paypal, DON'T DO IT!!! And once again, c list will NEVER ASK YOU to provide a tracking number before they put the money in your acct. I'm just glad that I didn't ship this thing to this guy or I would have gotten screwed!!! Please share this with everyone you know........... whether you like them or not. I hate to see honest people get screwed

Why do you need to use paypal with Craigslist - I thought this was for items for sale local - where you bring the cash

and hand over the merchandise?

With over 1000 posts on the Klipsch forum, you'd a thunk everybody and their unborn children know about the Nigerian scams.

Why do you need to use paypal with Craigslist - I thought this was for items for sale local - where you bring the cash

and hand over the merchandise?

With over 1000 posts on the Klipsch forum, you'd a thunk everybody and their unborn children know about the Nigerian scams.

I'm VERY new to the Craigslist thing. No one has ever told me about any of these scams, etc. I've sold a few things "cash in hand", but I figured Paypal would be ligit. I'm just glad I didn't get taken on this!

The nigeria scams have been around for decades.......never ship anything or do any transactions overseas unless your in the shipping business.

Certified bank checks from Nigeria aren't worth the paper they are printed on .......you get a certified check from nigeria.... deposit it and ship your goods.......two weeks later your bank pulls the money out of your account because they can't collect.

Couple years ago (2002-2003?), we had had enough so we did a reverse on a Nigerian scammer. He had contacted a local resident with the "oil revenues scam", so wefound a local mansion type house, took pictures, sent emails back and forth, etc.. Fax'd a fake bank account statement showing $1m plus, etc. We get an email from them saying that they could not deposit the money because the bank would not accept it... We told them no problem, just have someone "come on over" and we would give them a certified check to allow them to open a bank account here so they could transfer the oil money. This went on, and the bank we were working with called us and told us that someone had repeatedly tried to access the fake account, etc., but they had simply told the bad guys that they could only make deposits in excess of $500 with a cashiers check that they would hold until it cleared. Meanwhile, they thought they were smelling blood and got desperate; we got an email that someone was flying over to conclude the deal.... We went to the airport to pick up this weird dude... When we got there, he was already in the lobby and claimed the plane had landed early. So we transported him "home" to the special "hotel" with the bars on the windows.... He bonded out (and left the bail bond guy holding that bag...) and the Nigerians avoid our county like the plague!!! It appears that they have some local yahoos running around that can show up to "assist" in the whole thing, but best we could determine was that this "Nigerian Executive" was living somewhere in the US and handling the "local end" of the scams when the situation required.

Couple years ago (2002-2003?), we had had enough so we did a reverse on a Nigerian scammer. He had contacted a local resident with the "oil revenues scam", so wefound a local mansion type house, took pictures, sent emails back and forth, etc.. Fax'd a fake bank account statement showing $1m plus, etc. We get an email from them saying that they could not deposit the money because the bank would not accept it... We told them no problem, just have someone "come on over" and we would give them a certified check to allow them to open a bank account here so they could transfer the oil money. This went on, and the bank we were working with called us and told us that someone had repeatedly tried to access the fake account, etc., but they had simply told the bad guys that they could only make deposits in excess of $500 with a cashiers check that they would hold until it cleared. Meanwhile, they thought they were smelling blood and got desperate; we got an email that someone was flying over to conclude the deal.... We went to the airport to pick up this weird dude... When we got there, he was already in the lobby and claimed the plane had landed early. So we transported him "home" to the special "hotel" with the bars on the windows.... He bonded out (and left the bail bond guy holding that bag...) and the Nigerians avoid our county like the plague!!! It appears that they have some local yahoos running around that can show up to "assist" in the whole thing, but best we could determine was that this "Nigerian Executive" was living somewhere in the US and handling the "local end" of the scams when the situation required.

There ought to be a law that requires:

a) That you took that weird dude to jail by dragging him behind the vehicle and

B) It is filmed and shown on TV

Tom