tied of using a sub in 2ch!!!!!!

beelzebub

how money do i have? i got around $5000 for the totall system. i need to find a good preamp.... already have the emotiva mono blocks.

I believe new LaScala's cost about $5200 a pair. You could find used LaScala l's for half that......or even less.

Used RF-7's can be had for $800-$1400.........KLF-30's $600-$1100.......Cornwall's I've seen for $600. I wouldn't give up on used speakers.....they're out there, just gotta be patient. Klipsch owners generally take very good care of their speakers. If I could go back and do it all over again.....I would have been more patient and bought used........could have saved a considerable amount of dough.

I have to admit though, sitting here thinking about a brand new pair of LaScala's or Jubs is making me giddy. [:P]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

System: 2-way, 14-driver line source, vented enclosure with 8 rear-firing flared ports.
Drivers: Six (6) customized BG Neo 8 midrange/tweeter panels, eight (8) custom 6.5" xbl² woofers per speaker
Frequency Response: Coming Soon!
Crossover Point: 1000Hz
Slope: Coming Soon!
Impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 90dB (1w/1m)
Video Shielding: No

You're gonna be freaking bored to tears. Good grief Man, what are you doing!!?? I sure hope you like the sound of comb filtering and gobs of IMD and THD. I'll be surprised if you don't blow half the drivers in the first week. That's a sissy speaker -- if you're gonna spend $5000 on speakers buy some LaScalas II!

The Cornwall III uses the K-700. As a bit of a metalhead myself, I can't think of a worst candidate for that kind of music at high SPL's.

It sounded just fine down in Hope - was definitely one notch better than the RF-83 in the same room/same music. I also very much prefer the sound of the RF-83 to that of the RF-7.

If you don't want to use subs it is CRITICAL that you choose a pre amp with tone controls and preferably also with loudness. I have a pair of LaScala II's and a Velodyne DD18 sub. When I had a pre amp with no tone controls (the standard audiophile straight wire with gain), Bass was non-existant. Then I got a great pre amp, a McIntosh C41 with bass and treble and loudness and when listening with the sub off and the bass turned up to full, the sound fills right out with plenty of quality deep bass. I actually now prefer this sound. If I were you, I'd seriously think about getting a new C41 for $2000 from www.audioclassics.com and a new pair of RF63's which lack very little compared to RF83's. If you buy a used McIntosh C42 pre or the current C46 (though cost may be a bit much) you get an inbuilt equaliser for complete tone adjustment and being McIntosh, it's high quality all the way.

That'sd my 0.02c

System: 2-way, 14-driver line source, vented enclosure with 8 rear-firing flared ports.
Drivers: Six (6) customized BG Neo 8 midrange/tweeter panels, eight (8) custom 6.5" xbl² woofers per speaker
Frequency Response: Coming Soon!
Crossover Point: 1000Hz
Slope: Coming Soon!
Impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 90dB (1w/1m)
Video Shielding: No

You're gonna be freaking bored to tears. Good grief Man, what are you doing!!?? I sure hope you like the sound of comb filtering and gobs of IMD and THD. I'll be surprised if you don't blow half the drivers in the first week. That's a sissy speaker -- if you're gonna spend $5000 on speakers buy some LaScalas II!

i can't belive you would hate this bad on a line array. one of the most respected men in hifi that has done countless reviews gives this speaker hi marks. one of the best systems i ever heard in my life was a line array... a diy budget one at that.

as long as your not standing right in fromt of the speaker, atleast 10' away, your straight. this speaker can play down to 20hz. that's some serious bass!!! please explain why sooo many people are fully satisfied with this speaker if it sux sooo bad. the designer for this system is highly respected. i listened to this speaker myself.... the dynamics, top end, imaging, and bass is some of the best i ever heard in my life. it's all about what sounds good to me, right?

thanx for the support

The bunch of us in here are mostly generous, helpful, and friendly individuals.

However, trolls sometimes invade the space. In this case, it was someone who fancies himself as the Semitic god named Ba' al (or the modern meaning - "demon," etc.).

Beware of those who sign up in the forum and request a thoughtful discussion the first day of signup without any indication they have ever heard (or appreciated) any Klipsch - or more broadly, horns.

Hey, I didn't catch it.

Carl.

He's not a troll, just someone who got pulled in a different direction then decided to come back here and be a sick jerk.

I sure can't see how that line array is going to meet his original requirment:

"i'm looking for a tower that can jam like hell for metal without having to use a sub...i'm looking for solid chest pounding kick-drum, clear midrange, and massive drop-tune guitar midbass...for some serious balls to the wall..."

A line array is the first thing I think of when I read that, lol!

20Hz my ***.