Why are tube amps "better" to use with certain speakers?

amusingisthedawn

I just bought a pair of KLF 20's from veloceleste (thanks), and first off...they are awsome. But I have also been reading and I don't understand what is different/better about using tube amps with these speakers. Right now I have them running through a Denon 2808CI AVR, which sounds pretty awsome to me. Will they sound that much better if I use a tube amp?

I just bought a pair of KLF 20's from veloceleste (thanks), and first off...they are awsome. But I have also been reading and I don't understand what is different/better about using tube amps with these speakers. Right now I have them running through a Denon 2808CI AVR, which sounds pretty awsome to me. Will they sound that much better if I use a tube amp?

For two channel a higher end solid state or a good tube amp would sound great. If you can find some gear to listen to in your area do it. Take your time and listen until you find what you like. Hell you might decide you like what you have.

Ditto Seti's advice, you need to listen to as many different amps as you can to figure out what best suits you. All amps have strengths and weaknesses, so you will be able to better determine what your personal criteria and preferences are by doing as much listening as you can.

Thanks for the advice. I had an older pioneer elite AVR, which I replaced with the $1200 Denon and right away I noticed a huge difference. Once I added the KLF 20's it sounded even better. I just can't imagine (for the money) what I could do to make this current 2 channel set up sound that much better.

You would be surprised!

Tom

....but then I've never been impressed with multi channel home theater receivers when it comes to 2 channel music.

I agree with that. However, after several preamps over the last couple of years......I have gone back to using a Denon 3805 as a pre-pro.

To use the Denon by iself for two-channel listening.......fatiguing, stale and edgy sounding to my ears.

Using the Denon as a preamp with seperate power amps.......the Denon is very clean, even high-end sounding. The same criticisms apply.....good recordings like music dvd's, concerts and certain cd's sound flawless. Bad recordings sound bad.....really bad.

Having my music set-up as follows: KLF-20's & a RW-10 sub run through a Denon 2808CI...what would you suggest as a power amp to run in line with things. Mainly keeping in mind my budget (just based on what I already have). Will spending a few dollars be worth it in my case?

Off topic, but I just picked up a pair of KG-4's for real cheap from a pawn shop and they are amazing! I can't say enough about how awsome they are for the cost. I had them downstairs with a crappy sony AVR, and it got me thinking. Should I have gone with Forte II's instead of KFL 20's for my main listening area. The RW-10 mixes perfectly with the KFL-20's...I think I'm just in a Klipsch craze. [*-)]

Didn't see the other posts before this one...I like the ole hank of lampcord and my denon for now.