XPA-5 and XPA 2

roaddog359

They are both on the way now. I ordered some cables from monoprice but I may have gotten the wrong ones are these ok to use if not can you point me at the right stuff. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023501&p_id=2774&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I know, I know, mmy wife is going to kill me!! Anyone have a spare room? I will bring the amps with me!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow JW that is also the first time that I heard someone with a negative comment about Emotiva and Klipsch. Good to know since I was thinking about getting the XPA-5 and the new Pre some time in 2009. I currently have Outlaw gear and was just looking to change to something else. I will kind this in mind when the time comes.

What did you end up getting to replace the XPA-5?

James

Well nothing sounds like a McIntosh. They have a sound of their own and they are pretty expensive as well. Comparing a $699 Emotiva XPA-5 to a $6500.00 McIntosh MC205 is a bit silly IMO. When comparing Emotiva to let's say Parasound, B&K, Outlaw and the like then we are talking. The price point with the Emotiva makes it a no brainer. I think perhaps your unit was that of a B stock quality because the two I just received are flawless.

JW,

I understand that this was your opinion and I take it as that. But still that is one set of ears that says Emotiva and RF-83's don't sound good together. I was just going to use your opinion as a reference when/if I look at changing my setup.

Still, thanks for your opinion it does help.

James

Hi roaddog,

I returned my XPA-5. I was disappointed with it (at the time had Rf-83's). I do have an LMC-1 that I've been pretty happy with. Emotiva amps......just "my" opinion, I think for a little bit more $$$, you could do better.

For whatever its worth......

• I thought the fit and finish was so-so (the paint/powder-coat appeared blotchy).
  • The power cord also seemed a lighter guage compared to McIntosh and ATI amps.
  • To me, the sound was "mushy" (if that's even a term to describe sound). My McIntosh and ATI amps just sound tighter, more detailed and more powerful with my Klipsch speakers.

That's odd your finish was blotchy.I bought an Outlaw 990 and 7125 amp,the reason I sent them back was the finish was blotchy,unlike my Emotiva which has a nice heavy guage brushed finish.The Outlaws had a painted finish.There's probably an old thread of me complaining here somewhere how ugly they were(imo).And,the only amp that's uglier is the ati of a few years back,just awful,still only imo.Power cords are of little concern,they'll be ul listed I think.

The Outlaws 990 was a fine prepro from a sonic point of view.The 7125 was a great amp which I recommend to anyone when it's priced right($600ish).The lpa1 I own sounds about as good as the 7125 to me and looks better to boot,again imo.

The point being,it's all opinions,you never know till you try for yourself,what does it matter what someone else hears.

Personally in my opinion I think the Emotiva looks very nice, I don't like the look or styling of the Outlaw or ATI amps, it is just my opinion but I think the Outlaws and ATI's have a cheap look. I cannot compare the sound quality differences never having had the chance to compare.

I ordered an Emotiva XPA-3 and it is on its way here, expected delivery is on the 5th, FedEx has delayed the original Dec 31st expected delivery date for some reason [:@]

I will post my review of the XPA-3 on the forum once it arrives.

If you can afford to pay just a little bit more for something built here in the U.S......why not?

The Outlaw 200x5 is $1350, basically double the XPA-5's price.. that's not "a little bit more" in my book.

I agree with you on the power cord, but I had already spent the $7 on a 14ga. cord before my XPA arrived. As for the finish - I thought the Outlaw's looked quite bland, but that's just my opinion.

If you can afford to pay just a little bit more for something built here in the U.S......why not?

The Outlaw 200x5 is $1350, basically double the XPA-5's price.. that's not "a little bit more" in my book.

I agree with you on the power cord, but I had already spent the $7 on a 14ga. cord before my XPA arrived. As for the finish - I thought the Outlaw's looked quite bland, but that's just my opinion.

Eskimo1, Where did you get the heavier power cord from? I am looking at longer cords. But I am not sure where to order form or what type of cord I need?

Eskimo1, Where did you get the heavier power cord from? I am looking at longer cords. But I am not sure where to order form or what type of cord I need?

stayonline.com is where I got mine, but they're certainly not the only game in town.

If you're plugging into a standard outlet, you'll need to go to the "15 amp straight blade" cords, then to the 5-15P to C13 section. Something like these: http://www.stayonline.com/5-15-c13-15-amp-power-cords.aspx

I'm pretty new to amps(only have used a receiver for power), but I can tell you that last week when I got my xpa-5 and paired it with my rf-7s, it was a completely new experience in listening. From reviews, the xpa-2 is way better and I'm excited when I will be able to get that(not for awhile). I don't think you will be dissapointed. Can I ask what you were using to power your setup before?

Yea, I also just read that!