A Klipsch giving story

Tom Adams

I know this post is a bit self-serving, but what can I say..........

My wife's son (Chad) is almost 23 and although he's never been to college, he's worked hard enough to have recently purchase his first home. Honestly, I wasn't all that crazy about him buying a home for Chad isn't the domestic type and he has some trouble telling which end of a drill motor is the business end (if ya catch my drift). I was also concerned that his euphoria of home ownership masked his understanding of the responsibilites - especially financial. And knowing how his Mom likes to "help", I saw the potential for me (us) becoming investors in the Chad experience. However, I did feel that him buying a house was a good investment and that it might teach him some skills that he'd might otherwise not learn. Thankfully, I was wrong about the former and correct about the latter. That is, he's not had to ask us for any financial bailout assistance and he's learning some valuable life lessons about home ownership - like when he found water all over the kitchen floor due to a leaking water pipe IN THE WALL!!! So.........

When Donna & I were kicking around ideas for Christmas gifts and the subject turned to Chad, I said that since he's really impressed me, I would like to buy him an inexpensive receiver (Denon 1803) and give him a pair of my Heresys (this was one of the 2 pairs I had in my HT room in a previous life). So the day before we left to see my parents for Christmas, we went over to his house, let ourselves in, and I set up his first "real" stereo (IMHO). He got home about the time I was finished and was blown away. He's heard my vert Cornwalls and experienced the HT room I had and has always talked about how great the sound was and bragged on me to his friends. So I felt him having the speakers was a fitting gift. As he gave me a thank-you hug, I told him to try and not blow them up on the first day. LOL......

It's my understanding that Chad has just about driven his roomate and friends crazy with "why Klipsch is the best". Oh - and he's now saving up for a Synergy Sub-10.

Hmmmmmm.......I wonder if his Mom will let me help him out a bit so he can get the Sub-12 instead.

Tom

That reminds me of the Christmas my (at that time) 14 rear old son got his first pair of "big boy" speakers. I can still see him hugging them. The story would be perfect if they were Klipsch, however [:$] they weren't. It's still a good memory though. Guess I should have joined the Cerwin Vega forum to tell that story[:o].

Outstanding, Tom!

My oldest grandson and I have been working on a rebuild of what will be his first Klipsch speakers. He will earn and learn with his efforts. I think it important that we give the gift, pass it on, and teach that real audio is not what is seen at Best Buy.

Great job.

tc

• Moderators

Outstanding, Tom!

My oldest grandson and I have been working on a rebuild of what will be his first Klipsch speakers. He will earn and learn with his efforts. I think it important that we give the gift, pass it on, and teach that real audio is not what is seen at Best Buy.

Great job.

tc

Your exactly right IB, It will be something they keep their whole life.

Very nice Tom, that was a very nice thing to do and it will probably be something you can share with him for years. [Y] The only self serving part I see is the part of you having a common interest now with him, and that's good.

IB: You are so right!!! Doing these things with your kids (or grandkids...) is priceless. In so many ways. My 10 year old son, Michael, watched as I "re-built" his Heresy's for his Christmas present. I'm lucky in that I work from about 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM and thus am home when the kids get home from school. When I'm doing a "project", I usually grab the laptop and head out to the workshop by about 2:30 or so.

Every day during the "rebuild", he would get off the bus, walk down the driveway, dump his book bag down and stand there and watch whatever I was doing at the moment. At first, he was just curious, but as it went along, he would ask questions, and in the final stages, was very, very attentive. I asked him to help a couple of times, such as "grab that", or "move those out of the way", but did not press the matter. I could tell that he was truly amazed, as only a child would be, at how something like a loudspeaker was constructed, finished, etc. When I was finished, the lacquer had to dry and cure for 24 - 48 hours. He must have asked me a million times, "Are they dry yet?" LOL!!!

He's proud of his Heresy's, and does not hesitate to show guests "his Klipsch" when I have someone over. Now that I have him "educated".... In about a year or two, when he's older and can really be able to help out, we will refinish his Klipschorns. They were my first pair of Klipsch speakers that I bought in the military and carted them all over the world since 1978. They show the wear, for sure, and last year, I gave them to Michael for his room. The grin was "priceless" as was the "Awesome!!!" comment.

To "prepare" him for the work involved, my next project is to have him watch/ sorta help as I do a pair of Cornwalls. Maybe this year or next, depends, of course, on how he does with some of the safer tools, etc. (never give a 10-12 year old a router!!! LOL!!)

Thanks for sharing what you are doing, and best of luck on your grandson's "project".