Road Trip 1972 Cornwall Decorator Verticals

tuned4life

280 mile round trip last night. 12 degees below zero and snowing hard when I got home. Owner had mixed feelings about parting with them. Owner had built carpeted rolling pedistals where they sat since the day he brought them home. I think they are in pretty nice shape for 37 year old speakers. No chips or cracks in the plywood. The grill cloth looks like new. Not sure but I think they have the factory grill kit that was offered for decorators. I bought them thinking they are pretty rare. I might have some sort of exotic veener put on them. They are nice enough I will leave them as is for awhile. I have the original B crossovers from my 76 corns that I may put in them or have BEC rebuild these. Another forum member pointed this out to me. On one speaker the mid and tweeter are installed on one side of the cabinet and on the other speaker the other side of the cabinet.

On one speaker the mid and tweeter are installed on one side of the cabinet and on the other speaker the other side of the cabinet.

Yes, it was talked about here, how to set them up, I will try to find the thread and post a link for you. I also have 2 pairs of verticals, one stock crossover and one done by Bob.

So when do we get pictures of the new addition?

James

Here is the link to the thread.

I see you have added a picture while I was typing, looks cool.

So do the grills come off?

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the grill cloth on those seems to have been installed at the factory. If so, then the grill cloth was stapled to the front of the speaker, then screen door moulding was cut and tacked around the perimeter of the cabinets to cover the edges of the stapled grill cloth. That is how it was done at the time these particular cabinets were made. The PWK logos were likely not attachedat the factory, but were attached by the purchaser once he bought them. This allowed the purchaser the option of placing the Cornwalls either horizontally or vertically, and having the PWK logos correctly oriented on the grilles. So, I guess the answer is YES, the grilles come off, but I wouldn't remove anything from these until you are ready to reveneer them; and keep in mind that without grille cloth, there is NO PROTECTION for the woofer on these style decorator cabinets.

Fini,

Yes, the company used marine grade fir plywood on these decorators at the time they were built, and even after they changed over to birch cabinet grade plywood a few years later, they still, for a number of years, built the K-horn bass bins using marine grade fir plywood for the 1/2" or 3/8" panels. It was sometime shortly after I started at the cabinet shop (after late summer 1976) that baltic birch began to be used for the 1/2" and 3/8" plywood panels of the K-horn bass bins. Cabinet backs for Heresys and Cornwalls also continued to be fir plywood until the baltic birch began being used.

I'm always amazed at the networks being screwed to the back of the motorboard!

Seems anyplace other than the motorboard would be more logical?

So...where can you put the network board so that the wires to the drivers are the shortest possible length and least likely to lay against the inside panels of the PORTED cabinet so as to eliminate any rattles?? On the motorboard?? Doesn't having this weight there also help stabilize the fir plywood motorboard from excessive resonance, too?...kinda like a damper of sorts?

Andy,

I don't recall ever seeing a Cornwall where the back panel extended to the top of the carcass. This would have to be addressed should the owner proceed with re-veneering.

Good they used marine grade. I saw how much that basement flooded...[;)]

Was up at 4:30 AM playing with the cornwalls. I really would have liked to see the motorboard but decided not to try remove the grills. After reading that the grill cloth is stapled to the motorboard I am glad I didn't touch them. A big thanks to HBRBUILDER for sharing his experiance and wisdom. I did remove the original networks and installed the networks that came out of my 76 corns. Can't say as I hear a differance but my hearing is pretty much shot. Can't say as the BEC crossovers make my 76's sound any differant either but I have no high frequency hearing in one ear and signifacant loss in the other. I have them stored in a small 10 x 10 bedroom with the lascalas I have for outdoor use in nice weather. Both the lascalas and Cornwalls are hooked up to a Marantz 2325. Maybe a little over the top for a 10 x 10 room. I bought the new corns mainly because they are 72's and to have a pair of verticals. 1972 is the year I won the lottery. The draft lottery that is. In 72 they drafted up to number 180, I guess somethings you never forget, my draft lottery number was 49.

post-18012-1381943718125_thumb.jpg

I'm always amazed at the networks being screwed to the back of the motorboard!

Seems anyplace other than the motorboard would be more logical?

So...where can you put the network board so that the wires to the drivers are the shortest possible length and least likely to lay against the inside panels of the PORTED cabinet so as to eliminate any rattles?? On the motorboard?? Doesn't having this weight there also help stabilize the fir plywood motorboard from excessive resonance, too?...kinda like a damper of sorts?

And wouldn't putty the crossover on the motorboard also be the easiest place to put it and connect everything?