jc's tractrix bass bin

jwc

Forgot to ask how heavy is your tractrix bass bin?

I dont think I have the skills to make one but they look very cool. Unfortunately living in Australia makes everything extremely expensive so I am learning how to build most of the things I want.

Not to compare but are the lower range of your horns about the same as the LS bass bins?

I know you can port a LS bin but just a regular bin I was thinking might have the same F3? I could be way off but I figured better to ask.

~70-600Hz with the current drivers. There are other drivers that I wanted to test out that do better in the higher frequencies....just never got around to testing them out.

These are very heavy....All MDF.....side walls are 1" thick MDF. You could port the back cabinet....yes....but I never intented to use them under 80Hz.

jc

The eminence 3012HO or the 3012LF. If you were to XO the high end 400-500Hz.....you could use either. If you wanted to see if the bass bin would get out to ~800Hz....go with the HO version.

Those would be what I would try next.

jc

addendum. You know....I would have to calculate for sure....but I was thinking the cabinet volume may not be enough for the 3012HO to get down to 70Hz. I would need to calculate that......

Just out of curiosity - how would you calculate the throat of a single driver 3012lf? I was going through the numbers and think I made a mistake somewhere...

St (throat area) = (2*pi)*fs * Qts * Vas) / c

c = speed of sound (340 m/s)

From usspeaker on the 3012lf:

fs = 37.02

Qts = .32

Vas = 105.42 liters (1/1000m3)

I get area of throat to be .023m^2

solving for radius in inches 3.3744?

So if I wanted to build a round tractrix horn based on the 3012lf, I'd cut a ~6 3/4" diameter throat and expand my horn from that dimension?

It is easier to calculate with the VAS in Cu ft. Faster for me that is. Gives similar results.

3012HO

St = 0.8 x Qes x Fs x VAS(cuft)

St = 38.9 sqin

Circle diameter = ~7"

Circle radius =~3.5"

3012LF

St = 38 sqin

Circle diameter = ~7"

Circle radius =~3.5"

Rounded off...the two are similar.....

jc

Funny but I was always thinking of trying to build a horn and use the 3012LF. After chatting with Zilch so many times he sold me on these drivers.

I will have to wait to see some others builds. I think I could build one of these tractrix horns but I would like to stick with a rectangle and not the cirlce.

I will also have to try and figure out these equations so I know how low I can actually go with only 30" width to play with.

But I will definitely have to keep these plans on file for the future.

And sorry to everyone for whom I ask alot of questions in pms. Just tryin to figure these things out.

The 3012LF and 3012HO will work in this. About 31 inches wide and will do sub 80Hz.

I'm on halt for outsourcing CAD drawings for a patent...as I have other things on my plate....like my job...jeesh.

The large horn.....discussed in this thread.....is full space and expands in vertical and horizontal throughout. Harder to build and big/deep. This one in the photo....is more "reasonable" in size and is 1/4 space like a la scala.

jc

post-16499-13819637775296_thumb.jpg

I have two other bass horns that I hope to be making over the next six months that I will post on the forum...that will be an easier build. The second of the two is true nutcase territory...but easiy to build. I've got a great name picked out for it...

I've been thinking my Heresies need some real bass. Easy to build? Relatively inexpen$ive? I've been thinking one of the Tuba models may be a good start for a horn loaded subwoofer... but nutcase would fit me as long as nutcase isn't size... but I have thought about building a subwoofer into our crawl space. It's kind of damp down there but hung off the joists and above the floor and moirsture prooved I think it could work. I think the waterline from the 100 year flood of 2003 was +- 10". Easy to build is what I need.

Thanks for posting your info on your tractrix bass bins as fascinating information and sounds like they perform very well.

I have two other bass horns that I hope to be making over the next six months that I will post on the forum...that will be an easier build. The second of the two is true nutcase territory...but easiy to build. I've got a great name picked out for it...

I've been thinking my Heresies need some real bass. Easy to build? Relatively inexpen$ive? I've been thinking one of the Tuba models may be a good start for a horn loaded subwoofer... but nutcase would fit me as long as nutcase isn't size... but I have thought about building a subwoofer into our crawl space. It's kind of damp down there but hung off the joists and above the floor and moirsture prooved I think it could work. I think the waterline from the 100 year flood of 2003 was +- 10". Easy to build is what I need.

Thanks for posting your info on your tractrix bass bins as fascinating information and sounds like they perform very well.

Hi jwc,

actual i have fun with these combo(http://virulus.de/public/bilder/konushorn-links.jpg), a upper bass/lower-mid konus horn, working from 100-600Hz. But i want to lower the transmission range by the deciding 20-30Hz down to 70/80Hz. Your construction is very welcome. What is the material to fill the gaps between the side strips of the horizontal flare?

kind regards, Ralf

Hitting an 80Hz Fc while still fitting through a normal door and besting the excursion performance of a normal vented enclosure is actually a very hard target to hit. Taking it one step further and aiming for consistent polars makes it a lot more difficult. Ignoring those variables, it is rather straight forward to get a flat frequency response down to 80Hz, but some of those designs have me wondering if it wouldn't just be better to go with a normal vented cabinet instead: lower distortion and equally "bad" polars.

Hi jwc, actual i have fun with these combo(http://virulus.de/public/bilder/konushorn-links.jpg), a upper bass/lower-mid konus horn, working from 100-600Hz. But i want to lower the transmission range by the deciding 20-30Hz down to 70/80Hz. Your construction is very welcome. What is the material to fill the gaps between the side strips of the horizontal flare? kind regards, Ralf

For the large bass horn which started this thread....which BTW is 24" deep w/o the woofer chamber attached. About 30" deep with the chamber on. So you can fit it through a standard door.

The side walls are 1" x 1/2" MDF strips. The end result is 1" MDF side walls. I recommend a nail gun and PL Premium adhesive. That stuff seals like concrete. I actually started using it late in the process and wished I had used it throughout. I have since used PL premium on my remaining projects and swear by it.

Drivers recommended and theoretically make it down to 80Hz...

Klipsch K31 (find on used market)

Eminence 3012LF

Great Plains Audio 3124

I'm sure I could come up with others....but I would like to try the above...just have other stuff on my plate. The Eminence 3012HO would be nice and probably play out further.....but question how low it will go with the current woofer chamber size. Haven't looked into this in awhile.

jc