jc's tractrix bass bin

jwc

My selling off of the K402's and the TADs was a bad move. I had zero dissapointment with those. At the time I was going through some frustration as I had very little free time. I came very...I mean very close to throwing away these big bass bins. My wife sensed my frustration and encouraged me to pitch all this stuff and quit "tinkering".

I then got some serious McIntosh stuff as stated before.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm getting close to getting more help at work...so I can mess around with speakers some more. The dtel's dropped off my MCM Grand 4's this weekend. So I have some K402's, K510's and Xii's to play with too. The 6 pairs of double stack MWM's will stay in storage........

Claude. Yes I'm impressed with the 2446. Sounds very good on my 223Hz Tractrix horn made by Gothover.

I think I will use that behringer as an EQ..XO with a sub amp. The rest will feed through the Ashly analog XO unit. I want to stay analog for this run.....no digital XO.

jc

amp is toast.

speaker is fine. very tight midbass.

So Bentz, So seeing what FR this bin can do, what are your thoughts on how it will "sound" over 1000Hz with the right driver. The mass roll off of the K31 is upper 300'sHz so I don't thingk that would be too good.

Dual 10's and 12's will "work" in this setup. Each throat is 45 sq in for a total of 90 sq in.

I wonder what broke on the amp....you interested in selling? If the DSP seems to be ok, I would have a lot of interest in a broken XTi...

As far as the measurements, I'm not sure. It's just one piece of the whole picture. I'm definitely impressed by the low frequency extension (if the horn is as big as I'm picturing). One question in the back of my mind is the relative amplitude of just a straight up dual 12" (no horn) versus your horn at frequencies above 700Hz. Also, does the height of your horn come out close to ~34" (give or take an inch or two)?

I'd love to see how the B&C drivers peform on that horn....would you be interested in running some curves if I loaned you a pair?

Are you speaking of the 12PE32

Sounds like a trade. You can HAVE my XTI. You can loan me the B&C

the mouth is 35" internal height. 45" width.

I made the sealed chamber calculated to annul at 80 Hz. It is a 100Hz Fc full space horn.

Sounds best XO no more than 600Hz. 800Hz a little boomy.

jc

Sweet deal, I'll shoot you an email tomorrow.

Sounds best XO no more than 600Hz. 800Hz a little boomy.

When crossing at 800Hz, are you adding EQ to flatten the passband? I know you said no DSP, but I don't remember which features that Ashly has....sometimes they have shelf filters available, which could be used to bring up the resonse above 600Hz.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife was taking a nap and I rushed over to my storage unit.....

came in the back door of the basement...

Who thinks this has potential? (besides potential to get my fanny kicked by my wife)

jc

post-16499-13819485748074_thumb.jpg

Who thinks this has potential?

I'll raise my hand!

DANG that looks nice!

Clearly I'm wrong but I thought you got rid of your 402. Guess you had more than I realized.

Have you fired them up yet? oh wait... self answered: clearly you have not because you are still alive & posting.

When she kicks your butt out, I've got a basement you can rent. It's only a 3 1/2 hour commute to work, don't sweat the details.

Give us a sound report if your fingers are left unbroken.

My wife was taking a nap and I rushed over to my storage unit.....

came in the back door of the basement...

Who thinks this has potential? (besides potential to get my fanny kicked by my wife)

jc

You know that really looks good. The proportions are great between horns. That looks like a winner.

Maybe she won't notice?

Here's what to do....make a horn with attachment points for rockers, and design it where it could be tipped up to use as a speaker, tipped back on the rockers to use for seating, Cover it up with some sumptuous cushions and some rich brocade or tapestry fabric and kill two birds with one stone, more or less. Looks like the WAF is the last brave new frontier to conquer. This could advance the cause immensely.

I can tell Mr C's wife seems to be partial to her speakers tall and lanky and naturally gravitates away from the lower, wider types. Therein lies the rub with the nice, wide wooden bass horns. For her to be impressed with them in a positive way, regardless of how they sound, he may have to put them on top of a 3-foot riser to get the height-vs-width to where her "styleometer" will be pleased. (See thread about his lake house speakers for more info on that subject).

Good luck with the wooden bass horns...they are absolutely beautiful. You might find it interesting to correspond with Bob Taylor at Taylor Guitars in El Cajon, California. One of Bob's big jobs is scouring the world for the most beautiful tonewoods to use in building his guitars, and he comes up with some interesting and beautiful specimens of God's creation in beautiful grains and patterns of hardwoods. I have one of his guitars with a spruce top, which is pretty, but fairly pedestrian and uniform except for the bookmatching, which is superb. The back and sides are what is interesting. They used an Ovangkol wood from Africa which tonally falls somewhere between rosewood and mahogany and makes the guitar have a superb acoustic sound in the room and it records like a dream, but aside from that, is interesting and pleasing to look at. I am not suggesting that these woods would bring anything to the table as far as the tone goes with your horns, just thinking about cosmetics. I would love to see these horns of yours done in either koa wood or maybe flame maple outside and curly maple in the throats? I do not know what one would do with this, but the WAF could be positively influenced, maybe? I don't have a wife to ask, so my dog's under the porch on this deal...and I know whatever you finally do with them will be superb. I celebrate with you your many design and fabrication talents. It is a joy to see what you have made and to read your narratives about it, with the familial and the engineering insights. We need both.

Chuck/Doc

" Obviously the guy has a problem and can't stop building horns. Not sure how to help"

maybe he can switch to planter boxes or rocking chairs

Yea...but SF...that stuff just doesn't weigh enough.Surprise

jc

I have some Titan T48 horn subs coming. The bass horn of mine was not meant to hit the very low frequencies.

I don't have my TADS anymore. Mark1101 has them. Dtels have my late 402's.

This top section is off the MCM Grand 4 system. It has the passive XO on the back of that wooden board for triamp or quad amp. The rest of the MCM 4 system is in my storage unit. This top section has the Klipsch 1133 and K69 drivers. You can look up the specs in the commercial section.

Mike tn. Yes...when I put this plan together, the intention were for only the K402 and the TAD driver on top. The K402 base sits perfectly on top of this bass bin. If you could imagine that horn by itself, the proportion "look" is nice. But since I had this combo together already...I just left it the way it is for now.

Honestly.....the combo I had in previous photos sounds fantastic as a triamped system....BUT....the passive I had to combine the midrange and the tweeter together isn't sounding as good as I would like. The JBL driver has way more output than the crites tweeter and attenuating it with an autoformer isn't sounding too good. Triamping in which the crites is fed straight from the amp (after the active analog XO) sounds really good. BUT...I won't be able to keep it that way when I get my horn subs because I have in-walled three pairs of speaker wire. I therefore can't quad amp. So I have to either have the K402 by itself...or use my ESN5800 runnin wide open for the top section with tweet and midrange...and "balance" with EQ. I may try this...so we will see.

This K402 and 510 has a network board with it....so I can use it...BUT...that passive is for behind the screen. I'm sure I would need to EQ some....but the attenuation and the Phase is there.

So I'm just messin' around. This system is in a slow development. I'm in no hurry.

This is tall. I've heard this setup on top of the jubilee and it was even taller. The tweet sounds went right over my head and I'm sure would sound better being farther away.

I'm just givin you guys some eye candy. I will hook it up soon though.

jc