jc's tractrix bass bin

jwc

I had the pleasure of hearing one channel of that setup without a sub and with Gotover's horn on it instead of the MCM HF section. I thought it looked and sounded professional. Very impressive. I'm hoping to hear this latest version sometime soon. I can only imagine how this sounds. JWC never does anything half way.

Tractrix bass bin crossed 70-500Hz

Top section 6000hz.

Gee, thanks for the kind words Claude

I have always been a fan of straight axix horns for a more "direct" sound. I have a 12" driver in my Peavey MB-1 CD horn, which goes from 150 to 1 Khz and it sounds great. Your having a horn that goes one octave lower makes sense since you can probably derive more detail than I can with my MWMs or Peavey/LaScals folded bins at those frequencies , and go straight to a sub with no other woofer section in between. . I am wondering why you needed TWO drivers for this. Woudn't one do the job? or is this the result of computer modeling, puttin the top horns up higher, or just lower distortion at higher levels. Hope to hear this someday, Mr. Funk Brutha from a different Mutha.

• 1 month later...

This horn with the K31's start to roll off starting at 500-600Hz. The mass rolloff of the K31 is pretty low. I would wager that the horn plays out further with "midbass" drivers....

I haven't tested that yet......I meant to but got started on other projects. Very satisfied with the way it is now. No regrets...

jc

This horn with the K31's start to roll off starting at 500-600Hz. The mass rolloff of the K31 is pretty low. I would wager that the horn plays out further with "midbass" drivers....

I haven't tested that yet......I meant to but got started on other projects. Very satisfied with the way it is now. No regrets...

jc

I think I would be also, JC. You know I feel about straight axis horns in the midbass/midrange area. I only believe in folded subwoofers. It's obvious that you do also, since after all of your builds and evolutions, you ended up with this present configuration....................all horn, 4-way system from 20some Hz. to 18 some Khz

Rock on, my funk brutha!!

Yes...I'm rockin and funkin my man....

I am partial to the idea of straight axis bass horns right now. The sound is very open.

I don't confess to getting down to 20Hz though......rolling off under thirty. This was by choice as I chose to have a subhorn with a footprint that "look fitting" in my situation. Happy with what I have though....haven't tried to do anymore tweaking in quite awhile.

jc

am partial to the idea of straight axis bass horns right now. The sound is very open.

On that note, what would be the disadvangage of doing your Tractrix Horn with a single 12" driver? My MB-1's have a single 12" with a 4" VC and they put out 109 db/watt, 8 ohms impedance.

I like seeing into the throat of a driver. My MB-1's have a styrofoam phase plug that smooths things out to 1.2 Khz, but for a 5-600 Hz. Xover, it woudn't matter as much, so no phase plug would be fine.

Were you horns hard to build?

I would say that these are hard to build. Very finicky. I haven't released the plans as it is a real pain in the butt and I would have to put in a lot of phone calls to assist someone to understand just what the heck I did.

The two 12" was for a larger throat making for a shorter length horn. But moreso for "large thwack". This is a Full space horn.....from a calculation standpoint. I didn't want that peaky response curve. I also wanted it to go below 100Hz. If I were to use one 12" driver for that.....the horn would be long......remember...this is a combo bass horn and midbass horn. If I wanted just the 150-200Hz and up....no I wouldn't have used two drivers and the build would be much simpler. Infact......I have scribbled up a few plans to use an 8" and/or 6 1/2" driver to attempt coverage out to 4000Hz......but I may have trouble doing this w/o a proper phase plug.

I'm not sure what the rating would be for SPL for what I have now....but I would think it would be close to a jube. Now I can pick some modern day drivers with a 3-4" voice coil (possible neo), High Fs, low VAS and and High rated SPL.......but I halted with what drivers I had as I'm pleased whith the way they are. I would bet I could get to 800Hz with good polar coverage....but that is speculation until I try.

You asked in another thread about the bass horns. I spent very little money.....zero time (hired out build)... The key was the 24" by 24" footprint.....that is hard to find in a bass horn sub. That was the selling point for these. They have a slow toll off from 100Hz down....which over 100Hz they are over 106dB I think. Since I have them somewhat corner loaded or 4th space loaded......that slow rolloff picks up nicely. very little EQ. I think I posted the curve earlier with a 70Hz XO point. I think on that curve there is an EQ parametric bump I added about 45 Hz.

I could obviously gone crazy with a bass horn sub.......I know there is better...but I'm not gonna do that right now. The system sounds great and looks fairly nice IMO. Most of the real good horn subs are deep....and i don't want to put those in there right now. To be honest....I'm just gonna wait until the economy turns around and wish for a shop....then contemplate some over the top danley subs...either the Rock Monster or the CineMonster.

BTW.... I don't want anyone to think I have everything figured out and this route is better than others.......this is just where my ears mixed with build desires have led me up to this point.

I have two other bass horns that I hope to be making over the next six months that I will post on the forum...that will be an easier build. The second of the two is true nutcase territory...but easiy to build. I've got a great name picked out for it...

Claude...are you building the labhorn or did you drop that idea..?

• 1 year later...