jc's tractrix bass bin

jwc

Thanks Seti. It was nice to have you over.

I'm really not gonna give a formal review of these Mcintosh speakers here. I'm in love with them for sure.

No I'm not planning on a mod of these. My wife has been more in the basement listening to my stereo every since she bought them. I'm gonna bet they will stay here awhile.

The current record for a speaker that stayed in that location the longest was my late Cornscalas (not dbb's).

I will say, what I have said before....a updated MC250 is one of the best bargains out there. They sound very good on horns. I have one of them coming straight from a DAC w/o a preamp. My La Scala II's sound great....

I'll get some more photos of my big horn project once I get a chance to work on them again.

jc

What are you ideas for the rest of the big horn project? Since they are 80hz-600hz are you going to go lower with adding a sub or just add a horn on top for the top end? Two way? Three way? Very interested. They looked amazing in person.

The initial intention was 2-way with subs. I have no solid plan now. Not sure what I'm gonna do.

I will finish them and may consider a top horn for midrange only and get a tweeter for three way. Heck...I may even scratch up a tractrix horn to do higher frquencies like 4000Hz and up. Don't know.....

These are 45 inches wide...so I have plenty of room for a big midhorn.

jc

" Obviously the guy has a problem and can't stop building horns. Not sure how to help"

maybe he can switch to planter boxes or rocking chairs

Yea...but SF...that stuff just doesn't weigh enough.[:o]

jc

Jordan. My goodness. Where have you been?

Yea.....still in the pursuit...slower now though with kids.

My basement just flooded...won't be working on the big horns for a few. No serious damage but real close. Still freaking out a little.

jc

Like a hole developed from pressure.....wierd. Started spraying :(

Copper? Agressive water?

Even with normal water I've heard of copper developing leaks. Might be a manufacturing defect in the pipe or fitting, or just wear and tear. Luckily it's rare. Although, the years are passing by . . . .

Greg

Jordan. My goodness. Where have you been?

Yea.....still in the pursuit...slower now though with kids.

My basement just flooded...won't be working on the big horns for a few. No serious damage but real close. Still freaking out a little.

jc

Oh my :{ Need some little stands to get those big macs off the ground just in case.

Sorry to hear about the water issue. Is the basement room the one we see in all your photographs? I'd definitely get some height on all components in that case. Seems the residence is sited on a nice hillside so should be no problem with ground water seeping in at least.

• 2 months later...

The white is actually the primer with a roll on. Used for outdoor wood products. Gonna use several layers.

Then going to use Duracrest paint that is used on a lot of pro rigs...again outdoor proof. I want these to be tough.

May one day sit next to quad MWM's with K402's on top...in a shop. Needed a bada$$ midbass horn to keep up. For now will just work with some other pro horn subs that will fit in this house.

jc