OT: Motor oil

fini

You can mix synthetic and Dino oil...that's what synthetic blends are...I just prefer synthetics (for start up properties and logevity)...the blends seem to me to give you the worst of both...you don't get the start up properties and you pay nearly the price of synthetic without getting full synthetic...

Bill

It was for my daughter's Civic. She called me the other day when I was out and about. I told her 10-30. I have no idea how low her oil level was. This mixing of oil weights is a question I've wanted to ask for some time, though. I'm fairly car-stupid.Stick out tongue

Actually, oils mix pretty well, unlike the old wive's tale started a hundred years ago. It's far better to have enough of ANY oil than to run the engine when it's low. Your best bet is to put what ever weight is shown under the hood, because that's what the oil change tech put in unless you specified different.

A quart of 10W-30 is fine and won't hurt the engine. Honda typically recommends 5W-30, though, and even 0W-20 for the hybids.

Water is about 4W, so I don't use 5W-anything.

I'm not even close to being a mechanic myself, but I think you should be fine. Like others have posted... be careful with the synthetic stuff. When I owned my F150, I went to have the oil changed & noticed all the advertisements for synthetic & how much better it was blah blah blah...etc, so I told the guy that's what I wanted he then pointed out that if I used synthetic it would void the vehicles warranty! SO... be sure to check out the manual before ever going that route!

as long as the oil has the API symbol required by your vehicle manufacturer and you use the correct weight you are Golden...some synthetic oils don't have theirs tested to meet individual manufacturers requirements...doesn't mean they don't meet or exceed them just that they don't have the "seal of approval"...much like the THX label...many cany be as good or better than THX rated but they didn't pay them for the label...

Bill

I would be more concerned with not knowing if it is synthetic or conventional oil. Later Bill

Me too! If it's synthetic, and you put conventional in there; big problems! Once you go synthetic, you can't go back.............

Please don't go synthetic if you have been using conventional oil!!!!!!!!!

My story is no different than lots of others I have talked with. I had (I go through cars at the rate of about 1 in 3 to 4 years, use them up do to milage) a 2000 neon that used no more than about 1/3 of a quart in 4,000 miles. Not too bad as things go at 75mph / 600 miles a week. I put synthetic into it at about 40,000 miles on the recomendation of my service station. (not gas station, rather the place I have my cars serviced) The oil consumption instantly and I mean INSTANTLY jumped to 1 qt in 2000 miles and even after getting that ONE oil changes worth of synthetic out, the consupmtion remained at that eleveated level for the rest of the time I drove that car. It was retired at 180,000 miles due to needing a major service on the transmission. With the trans work and struts, shocks, timing belt (the belt required a "kit" as the old belt had been replaced by a different one in the manufacture of the engine and MY belt was no longer offered so I would have had to spend over $800 for the kit alone, never mind puting it in! ) There were several other things that needed repair so the total sum would have cost 1/2 of what I spent on a new "used,dealer certified car that had a lifetime waranty from Chrysler, thus the switch in cars.

Back to the point, that synthetic oil really messed things up with the engine and it's sealing. PLEASE, DO NOT PUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN AN ENGINE THAT HAS A FEW MILES ON IT!

I put synthetic into it at about 40,000 miles on the recomendation of my service station. (not gas station, rather the place I have my cars serviced) The oil consumption instantly and I mean INSTANTLY jumped to 1 qt in 2000 miles and even after getting that ONE oil changes worth of synthetic out, the consupmtion remained at that eleveated level for the rest of the time I drove that car.

I had the same experience. Another car I had, I started synthetic at 1,000 miles and it wasn't until I had about 50,000 miles that the engine then started to consume about a quart every 2,000 miles. The synthetic oil improves fuel efficiency and raises horsepower but I was less than thrilled with its consumption factor. I'm sticking with conventional oil for now.