RCA to XLR question

wuzzzer

I noticed the RCA cables didn't fit very tightly into the XLR adapters on my pro amp for my subs so I bent the outer part of the RCA connector to make a tighter fit. While doing this I noticed that the female part where the RCA cable plugs in to the adapter can unscrew from the XLR adapter. Being curious, I unscrewed it and found there was a little white wire coiled up inside and attached to the female end. While screwing it back in I thought I felt some resistance so I unscrewed it again and found that the wire inside had broken. Is this adapter even going to work anymore with the broken wire?

I technically don't need it because my amp has a mode called Parallel where it takes the input from a single channel and multiplies it over the two output channels. But, in the manual it says the normal mode to have the amp in is Stereo where both channel one and channel two would be connected on the input.

I know this is probably a dumb question. What exactly is the difference between the XLR and RCA connections? I see the balanced and unbalance inputs. I assume the xlr is a better connection? I also see the xlr to rca cables at monoprice, why have both on one cable? any benefit?

thanks

Well, I ordered the cord from monoprice. Cost less than $20 shipped for a 25 foot male RCA to male XLR cord.

I think this will be a nice upgrade over what I have now: Extremely cheap single male to dual female Y splitter, extremely cheap 15 foot unshielded RCA interconnect, dual male to male RCA adapters, 3 foot Monster RCA interconnect, RCA to XLR adapter. So there's 5 cords and adapters in my current configuration compared to the one cord that I'll be getting. [:$]

I know this is probably a dumb question.  What exactly is the difference between the XLR and RCA connections? .......

thanks

I only kind of know the answer. Basically an XLR is a 3 wire connection used mostly in Pro gear ... the signal is carried on + and - and the ground is the sheild. RCA only uses 2 wire and is used in consumer gear.

Anything changing RCA to XLR is kind of cheating .... some where along the way, the - is being combined with the ground. Balanced offers better resistance to noise in the cable runs used in professional installations.

I have a similiar problem. I am awaiting my PAA3 warranty return from Phonics to be delivered so I can do some RTA of the room. It has XLR out and I need it to feed my AVR to create the pink noise; XLR out of PAA3 to RCA in to the AVR. I guess I'll order the ones from Monoprice and see how it works. From what I find it could be a 50/50 chance.

Got the cable today, man monoprice makes some decent cables on the cheap! I removed my other cables/adapters/etc and hooked up the monoprice cable. After turning the amp on I was very pleased to not hear the loud hum that I was hearing before. Not able to do an A/B comparison with source material or swapping the old cords back on but to my ears the bass seemed to sound tighter, better overall.