Help with the Thought Process...

SilverSport

...If using a Sub woofer (Say and Sub 12) with your Home Theater and you have the choice of both KG 5.5s and KG 4.5s for Mains...and both of the KGs have the same Tweeter and TarcTrix horn...and you're setting them to Small...is ther any advantage using one over the other???

...I guess I am wondering if they would sound the same for your Home Theater purposes (let's use 80Hz for the crossover point...where the Sub comes in)...

...does the 95dB or 98dB efficiency (KG 4.5 and KG 5.5 respectively) play much of a part in that Home theater equation???...

...I guess what I'm driving at is if they do sound the same for a Home Theater application, might I be wasting the larger more efficient speaker in this and would it be better to use the smaller speaker and take the larger to use in another application???

Thanks for any thoughts and experience you care to share...

Bill

I could be wrong on this and I am sure I will be corrected but not all of the sound comes from the tweeter and squawker. I think there is a lot of sound that comes from the woofer from 80 hz up to the crossover in the speaker. Because of this a larger woofer produces the sounds say from 300 hz down to 60 hz to me the sound just seems fuller. It could be me but I think my forte II's with subwoofer sound better than my quartets with the subwoofer and they aren't much more than a different size woofer and cabinet. Might be hard to prove. I also have my cross over set at 60 hz.

guys...I'm gonna stick with the KG 5.5s as Mains...they are the same size but there are two of them with the 5.5s over the 4.5s...I agree with what you said and perhaps not sleeping much last night and too much time on my hands today [;)] have lead me to asing this...thanks for the responses!

Bill

Bill,

I think that you should go with an all Heresy setup. I had the chance to watch a bit of "The Incredibles" on it and it sounded great.. [;)]

I am sure after hearing that setup anything that you decide would sound great... [Y]

James

BTW, good luck with the voices..

Regardless of the HT crossover setting, the extra 3db sensitiivity of the KG 5.5's over the 4.5's would have to be the decider. That's around 50% louder isn't it? Or is it 6db extra sensitivity required for a perceived 50 % increase in loudness? Any which way, the receiver would be working less hard resulting in increased dynamics. That has to be a good thing.

You need to stop thinking so much, Bill. It can't be good for you! [;)]