A simple grilling tip.

oscarsear

I am always on the lookout for grilling information. Recently the Food Channel aired a steak grilling contest and this one competitor was different. 1st he was relatively new to the challenge circuit and 2nd he was winning and placing in major events. He shared a few of his tricks but one intrigued me and has surprised me when I tried it. He cleaned his hot grill with a raw onion just before using it. He just cut an onion in half and scoured the rocket hot grill with it. I use a charcoal/wood fired grill with cast iron grates and gave this a s try. It really does make a difference. My grates are well aged (seasoned) and this gets them not only cleaned but flavored. You can taste the grilled onion in the grilled meat. Give this a try and tell me if I have slipped a widget.

Never heard that one before! I usually wipe down my grill with some oil prior to grilling. It would be a shame to waste a big old Vidalia onion on grill duty. I usually slice one up into 4 pieces, season it with some olive oil, s&p and some herbs and grill it right next to my steak. A natural pairing.

I am always on the lookout for grilling information. Recently the Food Channel aired a steak grilling contest and this one competitor was different. 1st he was relatively new to the challenge circuit and 2nd he was winning and placing in major events. He shared a few of his tricks but one intrigued me and has surprised me when I tried it. He cleaned his hot grill with a raw onion just before using it. He just cut an onion in half and scoured the rocket hot grill with it. I use a charcoal/wood fired grill with cast iron grates and gave this a s try. It really does make a difference. My grates are well aged (seasoned) and this gets them not only cleaned but flavored. You can taste the grilled onion in the grilled meat. Give this a try and tell me if I have slipped a widget.

Grilling with coal and wood is the only way to go : )

I will try the onion method.

One of my faves for grilled salmon is to cover the grate with pineapple slices with core intact so there aren't holes. Put the salmon on top of pineapple slices and frequently glaze with thick syrup like teriyaki sauce not that thin liquid stuff. hmmm Kaisers wife is addicted :)