If You Think We Have An Obscure Hobby

thebes

Maybe we have more in common than we thought....
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=221445

Ok, maybe not...lol Angel

More in common than we thought? Who's hauled speakers to a concert? Granted, Michael and probably a few others could easily provide sound for a bar the size of 2 living rooms but I don't think he goes to shows with a truck and/or trailer full of gear?

Maybe he should if the venue has less than great sound?

I did take a mini or micro Maglite and twisted the end off to use instead of a lighter to a concert once where you can just screw off the lens and use like a candle ... so maybe I am a bit like those guye? [:S]

So like these guys have belts full of flashlights? I have a pair of
EarPro by Surefire Sonic Defenders hearing protectors I bought to try
but still haven't and I think they had some serious looking flashligts.

Such as this one:

E2DL-BK

Compact

(pocket sized), dual-output LED flashlight designed for self-defense

and personal protection. The E2D LED Defender® features a solid-state,

two-stage light emitting diode that generates six times the output of a

typical two-D-cell flashlight at its high setting and five lumens of

useful light (enough to read a map or negotiate a dark path) on low.

And should 120 lumens of blinding light not be enough to convince an

aggressor to back off, the E2DL's crenellated Strike Bezel® and

scalloped tailcap provide two sets of hard-anodized aluminum "teeth" as

a last line of defense. Two useful output levels, a long runtime, a

hard-anodized durable exterior, compact size, and enhanced personal

protection capabilities make this flashlight a great everyday-carry

option. Especially for those looking for a self-defense light with a

bit more of a bite.

Surefire E2D LED Defender

I wonder if these really do work for self defense? But it is one cool flashlight. So just how bright is 120 lumens of blinding light? Claims 6 times the output of a typical 2 D Cell flashlight at it's high setting? So typical cheap $1.99 2 D Cell flashlight or 2 D Cell Maglite? Enough light focused and concentrated could disorient people long enough to get away maybe or fight back I suppose.

Now I want one but don't have $149 for a flashlight....

Maybe the 6P defender for $79 would be a good alternative The optional P61 high output light reflector assembly is $29 and good for 120 lumens for up to 20 minutes and the standard P60 lamp/reflector assembly is $19 good for 65 lumens for up to an hour. The P60L LED replacement lamp/reflector produces up to 80 lumens and produced usable light for up to 12 hours per set of batteries. The 6P LED Defender goes for $112. The small ones all seem to use 123A lithim ion batteries which Surefire sells for $21 a dozen which would be good for 123A - my wife had a point and shoot 35 mm which used 123A batteries.

Here's a chart with specs for SureFire flashlights...

After the above, maybe I'm becoming one of them.... [:S]

So maybe now I'll better understand "Blinded By The Light" the next time I hear it...

Maybe GLA51 uses SureFires to search in and around Lake Okeechobee?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a good flashlight and would like one but I ain't going to that site to find it.

i had no idea flashlights were so technical - if I went on the site and asked a question they would know I'm a newbie straight away with my ignorance to this shinning subject.

they would know I'm a newbie straight away

LOL. They would know i'm a flaslight idiot immediately.

and...$149 for a flashlight?

$149 for something a candle can do.. I recon I know what Gordon Ramsy would say to that... #$%^ me!!!!

Imagine the WAF o'meter if the hubby was an audiophile and a flashlightphile.. one word for that... DIVORCE

Thank goodness the Audiophiles only give out their money for usefull things like "cheap cable risers" or magic crystals!!! Now where was my magic record cleaning cloth that only cost me $200.

[:P][:P][:P]

I had never thought about a forum for flashlights but everyone needs a few a good lights. Lets see what we have here.

1 Stream light Stinger 15,000 candle power rechargable $115

1 Stream light Ultra Stinger 75,000 candle power rechargable $125

1 Coast LED Lenser Xmas gift

1 DeWalt 18V flourcent work light

1 DeWalt 18V spot light

Snap On and Craftsman Multi LED rechargable work lights

Mag Lights AAA's, AA's, C's and D cells. All retired

So what do you guys have? Later Bill

I dunno mang, some of us will pay hundreds of dollars for a wire. Who's the idiot?

That 'pilgrimage' thread is hilarious, 440 mile round trips, staying out late in the cold, all manner of Halliburton and American Tourister to carry their tools of trade, special cases for stock up supercharged AA cells. We have more in common that you might think. The first photo of the guys in a row with their names superimposed seems a lot like this....maybe we should email em and let them know that they're not alone?

post-10755-13819445690634_thumb.jpg

Anyone interested in a vintage, antique (40 years old on 28 August 2008) original olive drab, military angle head D cell flashlight? Brass switch (not that cheap aftermarket clone crap); complete with 2 x red filters, 1 x blue, 1 x clear, and 1 x sem-clear diffuser filter. Two piece base with spare bulb, lanyard ring, etc. MIL model MX-991/U (Fulton, USA). The real deal!!! Works perfectly!! Own some history!!! Start your collection with a manly man, old school style flashlight!!! It's been to SE Asia, Germany, Middle East, Bosnia etc. Comes with signed certificate of authenticity!!! Only $10 with shipping. "Blue Light" Special!!![:D]

The Surefire lights are the s%^%. I have several of them starting at 70.00 up to 400.00. The super bright bulbs will blind and partially diasble a bad guy long enough for you to get away. The defender has a jagged stiking bezel on both ends which when used as a braass knuckle device will really ruin your day.This is a great non lethal protective device. My friend is one of the major dealers for surefire. He can not keep them in stock. There is a waiting list for the 175.00 LED model and a longer waiting list for the 400.00 Dominator weapon light They are solid enough to whack a mugger across the head with it and not break the light. The bad news is battery consumption. The lights go through them like crazy. They take the high dollar camera batteries. I like the rechargable models but they start at 100.00 I cant imagine anyone collecting them????

I dunno mang, some of us will pay hundreds of dollars for a wire. Who's the idiot?

fair point. I once paid approx $120 maybe more for a sub cable.. so I suppose in case of a power shortage at night I would of wished that I brought the Surefire Rambo (whatever they call it) Flashlight. But when the power is on and listenening to music/movie I am glad I brought that very expensive (now I know paId to much) cable [:D]

The first photo of the guys in a row with their names superimposed seems a lot like this....maybe we should email em and let them know that they're not alone?

yes - they are definitely not alone.. maybe it's like the Simpsons, re Shelbyville.. maybe there is a photo on their website with a group of people with similar faces standing around proudly showing off their Surefire flashlights.