Jubilee horn alternatives

hobie1dog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few dish network sat dishes laying around......I wonder how those would sound with a driver bolted to the middle of it....maybe a pair of trash can lids might work....there's gotta be something out there thats plug and play.

Here's a pair of Jubilee bass bins with Martinelli horns and Beyma CP750ND drivers. Two-way, passive network with NO EQ, crossed at 800Hz. The Martinelli's are not available any more, and they were very expensive anyway, but I wonder what a wooden tractrix horn would sound like with the Beyma drivers? I bet it would be great. Pretty simple to build a pair and try it, I just need more time!

Greg

WOW....those Beyma drivers have a very smooth response curve....darn near flat. Quuite expensive at 600.00 each though

http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/CP750NdE.pdf

This site has a ton of Beyma drivers and horns. Didn't know they made that many different models.

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20index-1.htm

This site has a ton of Beyma drivers and horns...didn't know they made that many speakers.

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20index-1.htm

".......

Building the horns would be something I would like to do, I would just need the curvature profiles to duplicate...bendable plywood is a wonderful product to work with. I guess I would like to make a duplicate of the 402 horn....yeah I know, another cheapskate copying someone's design......times are gonna get tough, believe me.

....."

I appreciate your interest in trying to build one of these (K-402). However this would not be a project for the faint-hearted.

Given the overall size and geometry you are limited in your choice of construction materials and techniques. More importantly, few of us (and certainly not me) have any idea just how critical some of these dimensions might be. So the nagging question throughout the project would be "how close is close enough". Please remember the DIY designs you have seen on this forum and others are for a "conventional tractrix" expansion. They would not have CD dispersion (again I do not know if this is a priority for you or not). Also many of these designs are relatively "small" and would not control the dispersion (polars) at the lower frequencies. Very few of them have any serious performance measures available. Most of them seem to rely on testimonials from the customers or builders.

I would suggest researching the suggestions from Dr Who (aka Mike). He seems to understand your concerns about price.

Just out of curiosity, is it your intention to build a Jubilee bass bin yourself or rather get one used or new?

Good Luck,

-Tom

".......

Building the horns would be something I would like to do, I would just need the curvature profiles to duplicate...bendable plywood is a wonderful product to work with. I guess I would like to make a duplicate of the 402 horn....yeah I know, another cheapskate copying someone's design......times are gonna get tough, believe me.

....."

I appreciate your interest in trying to build one of these (K-402). However this would not be a project for the faint-hearted.

Given the overall size and geometry you are limited in your choice of construction materials and techniques. More importantly, few of us (and certainly not me) have any idea just how critical some of these dimensions might be. So the nagging question throughout the project would be "how close is close enough". Please remember the DIY designs you have seen on this forum and others are for a "conventional tractrix" expansion. They would not have CD dispersion (again I do not know if this is a priority for you or not). Also many of these designs are relatively "small" and would not control the dispersion (polars) at the lower frequencies. Very few of them have any serious performance measures available. Most of them seem to rely on testimonials from the customers or builders.

I would suggest researching the suggestions from Dr Who (aka Mike). He seems to understand your concerns about price.

Just out of curiosity, is it your intention to build a Jubilee bass bin yourself or rather get one used or new?

Good Luck,

-Tom

All that is needed is a part to take the profile off of which can be done with a large profile gauge which will give you the curvature of each of the four planes of the horn. That can be layed out to give you a template to which you can use bendable plywood shaped to the template, then glassed with resin to maintain it's shape. Then the four sides are copied in width using any pliable mateial which can be transferred to the plywood so that it can be cut for the proper taper. Then sand and veneer the 4 parts, then assemble and secure them into a finished product. Then you could make the manifold adapter in the rear. Or you could do it even easier by making a fiberglas mold from the factory part, using traditional gel coat, resin and glass techniques.

I would be making my own Jubilee bass bins as well. CAD drawings done with alignment dowels machined in on a CNC machine for all the panels would be the way to go. You're not getting the idea I am a DIY'er from way back are you? My problem is that I can do almost anything I set my mind to and have the tools to do it with, which usually gets me into trouble...LOL Hundreds of hours later, finally finishing the project I always look back and go," I should have waited and saved up my money instead of wasting the valuable remaining minutes of my life doing this.

There is a product called Piano Lac that is a spray on waterbased finish that is rather easily to obtain the high gloss Piano Black finish that would make these things real "keepers". That's where I like the short horns which could be put between the top and bottom Jub bass bins per side. That's what I'm talkin about.[8]

I'll say though... if you are on axis, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a significant difference between the 402 and 510. I know I didn't hear much of a difference when on axis (when hearing them in Indianapolis). When however, you move off axis, the difference becomes quite noticable. The 510 loses a lot of its high frequency energy and the 402 keeps on keeping on.

When you're off-axis from the 510 horns, the highs aren't as bright, but it still sounds good, like the bass is more full. You have to be 40 degrees or more off axis before you really notice, because they're 90 degree horns in the horizontal plane.

Constant directivity seems a little silly to me personally, IMHO. Why shouldn't the speaker sound change a little bit depending where you are in a room? If you are at a concert or a club or a bar whatever, the sound changes everytime you move somewhere else.

Constant directivity is about acheiving a flat power response while also achieving a flat on-axis response. The advantage is that the reflections throughout the room that end up at the listening position need to contain the same tonal balance as the direct sound. Deviating from that can cause all sorts of spatial ambiguity and other displeasing artifacts.

Of course, it should go without saying that a flat power response speaker isn't gonna sound good in a room that doesn't have a flat power response (for lack of a better way of describing it).

As far as the concert/club/whatever....that would be an example of really poor coverage - which is a different issue altogether. It's rare to find sound reinforcement systems with very consistent coverage, but I've experienced it a few times with some of the larger line arrays in acoustically treated venues (or outdoors).

Doctor, you sometimes make my eyes glaze over. Reflections and direct sound . . . that sounds like you've been reading Bose 901 literature.

As far as power response, I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying. R U saying the dB level coming out of the speakers or R U saying the amount of power the amps are kicking out or what ??????????????? I don't know how a room has a power response ???????????????

I am glad that you agree that real life situations with music do not have constant directivity. I am thinking back to every time I have heard a band play. I am thinking back to every person I talked to during and after. I am sure that NO ONE EVER complained that it would have sounded better if the speakers had had Constant Directivity. I rest my case.

As far as power response, I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying. R U saying the dB level coming out of the speakers or R U saying the amount of power the amps are kicking out or what ??????????????? I don't know how a room has a power response ???????????????

Think of power response as a bunch of frequency responses taken over a sphere and added together...it's the total power eminated by the speaker.

As far as a room having a "flat power response" - that's like saying that every surface absorbs/reflects all frequencies the same way (which is never the case). If you have enough of a random distribution, then you can get away with the average of all the surfaces achieving the same thing.

I am glad that you agree that real life situations with music do not have constant directivity.

But they should.

Think of power response as a bunch of frequency responses taken over a sphere and added together...it's the total power eminated by the speaker.

As far as a room having a "flat power response" - that's like saying that every surface absorbs/reflects all frequencies the same way (which is never the case). If you have enough of a random distribution, then you can get away with the average of all the surfaces achieving the same thing.

I am glad that you agree that real life situations with music do not have constant directivity.

But they should.

R U an engineering instructor or something? Those are good descriptions.

It sounds like you are chasing the perfect theoretical that does not exist. Am I right?

yeppers, got em! Need some drivers now. SF bought a pair that were too unweildy to travel from IN to NY so he passed them to me. I found the cast throats fairly rapidly so they're about ready to go.