An Afternoon with Paul Klipsch

Marvel

Bragging about input power is like bragging about how much fuel your car can burn.

When Paul would visit dealerships across the country, he would come up with lots of cool stuff like this. One of the salesmen at my local Klipsch dealer (New England Music Company) met Paul and he relayed this same quote, only just a little differently. He said "bragging about how much power your speaker can handle is like bragging about how much gasoline your car can use". I still remember that quote today. Of course he would pass out BS buttons and then use a small hand-held radio to demonstrate how efficient the Khorn is. I wish I could have met him at one of these visits.

That was a great audio store. They had all kinds of demo's they would do for people. They would play the Heresy's that sat in front of the Khorns and ask people which speaker was playing and they would point to the Khorns. They would demo B&O TT's by passing it back and forth while it was playing, or banging on the corner of it with their fist while it was playing. They had several pieces of competitors gear in the store and opened up to show how much air space was inside the receiver cabinet for instance. They had a poster on the wall that showed a pair of Bose 901's with a parts cost of $84. I spent the better part of a couple of summers during HS at that store and learned a lot.

Greg

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. Paul would have been someone to meet, that's for sure. In some ways I think he's the Arthur Jones of audio in that he said what he felt to be true and wasn't worried if someone didn't agree. He was too busy trying to reproduce what a real orchestra sounded like.

In the Vol. 22, No.2 issue of the Dope from Hope, Paul writes:

Reproduction with accuracy has been my aim ever since. To that end, I "recalibrate my ears" frequently at live concerts, and I urge our clients, factory workers, salespeople, and engineers to do tehsame. Many of our employees own speakers wich they have probably built themselves as authenic [sic] Klipsch models.

A notorious magazine obstensibly "devoted to high fidelity audio" recommends comparing speakers to each other, not the the original sound! "Educate your ears" but "listening to live performances is not effective"! How ridiculous can they get? Comparing speaker A with speaker B, then with speakers, C, D -etc., coan only measure speaker A with a rubber yardstick! Really, now, isn't it pretty clear that the valid yardstick must be live sound.

Myself I have come into my first Klipsch speakers, Heresy III, and I'm doing just that. In the past I've demoed kinder gentler speakers such as Axiom, Audio Engine, Polk, etc. Many sounded smoother to me than the Hereseys, but none had the dynamics of live sound. I've heard the piano, trumpet and concertina played in my house and have heard jazz bands at small outdoor venues. Klipsch sounds more like these instruments and bands live than any speaker I've ever heard. I think sometimes people like the more refined (laid back) sound because they have forgotten about the dynamics of actual live sound.

Paul lived a full life and his legacy is definitely being carried on.