Why is American FM radio stuck in the seventies?

soundbound

I just now ask my 11-year-old son what his favorite bands are - in about 5 seconds he gave me these bands - go figure. I guess this is why the 70's FM format still works.

Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Tom Petty

Give your son $1 for that response.

Being one of the "youth" puts me in an odd position. I can't stand 90% of new music, if you can call it that. I've only just begun to explore all of the songs most of you are already sick of, so for me it's kind of exciting to find my "footing" musically speaking, and there is so much more to discover.

There are a few new worth while bands/songs that come around every now and again, but anymore they seem to continue getting fewer and farther between.

"Rap.....is short for crap".

Got that right. Super Angry

yo yo... i for one enjoy rap, not so much the gangster stuff which to me is very popular among the teens but something I was never a fan of, .. there is good and bad in all walks of life which includes music. I am a big fan of political rap. it is more than just the music it is the lyrics.

I do enjoy all music, including classical and opera even metal and country.. is the song 'buffalo girls' considered country [:D]

Money..... and advertising pays the bills..... It's the "format" (AOR - Album Oriented Rock) that drives the station (did a temp gig in 1985 as a DJ and news guy while waiting for the civilian job to open up). The station's owner said what he wanted and the advertisers wanted a particular format, etc. The only time I had any "flexibility" on setting up my play list was before 6:00 AM or after 11:00 PM. And.... if there was a particular song that was just released..... Every hour on the hour until the boss got tired of it....

Money..... and advertising pays the bills..... It's the "format" (AOR - Album Oriented Rock) that drives the station (did a temp gig in 1985 as a DJ and news guy while waiting for the civilian job to open up). The station's owner said what he wanted and the advertisers wanted a particular format, etc. The only time I had any "flexibility" on setting up my play list was before 6:00 AM or after 11:00 PM. And.... if there was a particular song that was just released..... Every hour on the hour until the boss got tired of it....

There is paying the bills and then there is cookie cutter radio stations. These radio stations play the same thing in every city from coast to coast. Why play the same song 20 times a day? Why play only certain bands?All the music they play sounds the same. I can identify only a couple different "sounds" on our stations and it is terrible. There is plenty of great new music and talent in this country but you won't hear it on your cookie cutter stations. There is also a diversification of sound out there not that formulaic crap they pump out. Sorry for the rant just one of my pet peeves. I hope XM radio comes out ok after the merger of serius and xm.

The only time I had any "flexibility" on setting up my play list was before 6:00 AM or after 11:00 PM. And.... if there was a particular song that was just released..... Every hour on the hour until the boss got tired of it....

And as kids we thought being a DJ would be such a cool gig until we realized they had to play the same songs over and over... so much so that one could no longer stand even very good songs after a short time.