The dtels longest road trip ever!!!!

• Moderators

I couldn't resist playing off Michael's "shortest road trip ever" thread.

Yes, it's true the 402s are "in the house"...finally!

We owe JC and Mark 1101 a multitude of thanks for making this happen for us. If it weren't for them this wouldn't have been possible till much later for us!

JC, thank you for the genius idea of having us audition the MWM/402 set up. As you already know a lot of us "flipped" over the sound that set up produced when we first heard it. If it weren't for you suggesting we give the MWM/402s a listen none of us would have known what we were missing.

After visiting Mark1101 last year and listening to his pair we knew this was the set up for us! Mark, this is a good time to thank you and Kim again for making us feel so welcome in your home. You guys are the best...and waking up to see a herd of deer eating outside our bedroom window was awesome. I can't wait to get together with you guys again.

Fortunately we have the space for this monster set up!

We took off last Saturday, headed to Carrollton, GA to JC's (jwcullison) to pick up a minty pair of 402s and a DX 38. We made it into Carrollton around midnight and headed over to JC's house Sunday morning. I must say JC and Wendy were very gracious to welcome "all of us" in to their home. We figured JC's house was over 1/2 way to the Smokies, so we incorporated a weeks vacation into the road trip. Bottom line...dtel, dtel's daughter, dtel's brother in law, three of dtel's granchildren and myself arrived on JC's door step around noon on Sunday. JC and Wendy met us outside and made us feel welcome...as a matter of fact....JCs first words were "Welcome to Georgia".

JC and Wendy immediately set our three grandchildren up with sandwiches and drinks. Needless to say the kids "ate them up".

JC had his "all Macintosh" system fired up when we arrived. Wow...talk about beautiful...he definitely doesn't have a WAF problem with that set up. The system, just like JC and Wendy's house is awesome! The speakers were exceptionally clear. Nice clean sound....and while I know JC truly loves his system....I also know he loves the MWM/402 arrangement. In fact, he told me "I just want you know I do envy ya'll being able to have this set up". Imagine that...a Macintosh dream come true and JC envies us. Well, I know what he means, cuz the MWM/402s are an awesome combo. I almost (notice I said almost) felt bad about taking those 402s because I know those are JCs babies.

Don't worry JC you did find someone to give them a good home. JC, I want you to know we do realize how generous you were with your asking price for the equipment we bought from you. Dtel and I both are extremely honored you considered us first when you made the decision to sell this equipment. Thank you for allowing us to give your "babies" a good home. I assure you we will get many years of listening enjoyment as a result of your generosity.

Okay, so after visiting JC and dtel loaded up the 402s and the DX. After promising to get together for a down home crawfish boil (don't worry Colter, we won't make you eat any) dtel's gang headed further north for a week long vacation in the Smokies.

We rented a three bedroom cabin for the week. Dtel and I love the 402s so much, we unloaded them into our bedroom in the cabin so we could admire them every night! (Actually our bedroom was the only room in the cabin large enough to house them) Nothing like sharing your bedroom with 402s...they were the last thing we saw every night and the first thing we saw every morning....heck I enjoyed looking at them first thing every morning as much, if not more than the spectacular view we had off our bedroom deck. I think some of you could relate to that statement!!!!

JC and Mark, thank you for everything. Our lives have been so enriched by the friends we have made since joining this forum. You two are shining examples of the lifelong friendships we have made while sharing our love of audio and more particularly, Klipsch.

One last thing, although I didn't see it myself....dtel's daughter said to be sure and tell JC he sure looked handsome on that billboard!

• Moderators

Believe it or not dtel didn't get any pictures with JC and/or his family! I tried to post a pic of the three grandkids snow sledding, but for some reason I can't. I'll get dtel to post a few pics tomorrow.

Snowsledding is quite an experience for those of us down south! I have to say, the kids had a great time. The two year old was so funny, trying to make it up the hill to sled down. She would start up a hill, take four steps and slide five steps back. After approximately twenty minutes of trying to get up the hill with the seven and eight year old grandchildren, she would look over at us and say, "Can somebody help me, I can't help myself". Every day when we got to the location we were sledding she would repeat the same process.

She was a real trooper. We didn't take any long hikes because we figured she would want us to carry her. She is very tiny for her age, but it's still a lot to carry a little one while you are hiking. One day we hiked over a mile and she hung in there, walking every single part of the hike. We all kept waiting for her to ask us to carry her, but she just kept on walking. She is so short we sometimes call her "Midget" or "Runt", so I know it took a lot of effort for her to keep up with us.

Dtel / Christy, thanks for the kind words. Kim and I really enjoyed your visit. We'll have to do it again. I sure hope you enjoy the equipment. Post some pics of the system when you get it set up. Let us know how it sounds. It sounds like you made the most of your road trip too. Nice idea to add some camping and outdoor fun in the snow and mountains. [:D]

So........JWC has himself on a billboard over there in Carrollton. Didn't know about that. [:o]

Hey Dtel, I had to take an unplanned trip to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago on business. It was the start of Mardi Gras. We were in and out of there so I didn't have time for any forum visiting. But I did get to spend the last night on Bourbon St.......of which I had never been before. I had never been to N.O. We had hotel rooms on St. Ann's right off Bourbon so we found our way home pretty easily when we were "finished". I would have looked you up if we had more time. I haven't forgotten that I have to buy the next King Cake.

• Moderators

Mark, hope you had a good time while down there, it can get really crazy on Mardi Gras day .

Can't wait to hear your drivers, we took them on a little vacation with JC's 402 horns, but it's ok we never left the south where they were born.

• Moderators

Great story, Christy!! Thanks for sharing with us. I can't wait to see the pics of you and Eldon with the 402's atop the MWM's.

I can't wait to get to the point where I can take a pic of them working also, [:D] It's not easy just looking at them but thanks to JC and Mark I am closer to hearing them than I would have expected at this time.

So........JWC has himself on a billboard over there in Carrollton. Didn't know about that. Surprise

Oh boy....not gonna hear the end of this one.

It was great to have the Dtels over and a shame we didn't get picture of the group. The focus was listening to tunes and munching on Firehouse subs. Thanks for the kind words Christy.

jc

• Moderators

So........JWC has himself on a billboard over there in Carrollton. Didn't know about that. Surprise

Oh boy....not gonna hear the end of this one.

It was great to have the Dtels over and a shame we didn't get picture of the group. The focus was listening to tunes and munching on Firehouse subs. Thanks for the kind words Christy.

jc

My daughter was the one to see it and told us later when we stopped to get gas, or I would have had to take a picture of it. [:D]

Thanks for everything JC we really do appreciate it. [<:o)]

• Moderators

So..... what is the status of the Dtel's new monster system? Do you have the big guys in the house yet? Play the K402s yet? What's going on? Sorry if I'm rushing you. Surprise

I have a ways to go, still collecting parts then I will be building. It will take a while but it WILL happen, now that I can stare at these little horns it's making me want to move faster, I need to be patient but it's hard! [:'(]